It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• atypical depression - finally the right dx. Now what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
    madrina
    (female)

madrina HB User
    atypical depression - finally the right dx. Now what?

hi yall,
    so i'm sorry to be "that person" that posts without reading thru old threads first, but i have to talk right now.

i have a long psychiatric history that goes back to my early teens. since then, i've battled depression, but never as bad as it is now. i'm 31, married, and have a 3 year old, beautiful boy. my marriage is on the rocks because i am also a recovering addict and have relapsed twice in the past year, so my husband is understandably untrusting.

i just discharged from a local psychiatric unit for depression. my first visit to this facility was to detox and get off drugs, in March '12. This time, it was for mood disorder. last year, i had "depressive order NOS (not otherwise specified)". now, i have atypical depression. the symptoms totally describe me, more than any other dx i've had. i'm on an SSRI (lexapro 20mg) and serequel 400 mg besides i've also being treated for psychotic, violent episodes. the mood stabilizer/antipsychotic aspect of serequel is very helpful, as well as serving as a non-narcotic sleep agent.

tonight, i found that that while i was in the psych hospital, my husband was calling family members to get the name of a divorce attorney. but this he did just two or three days after our "family session" at the hospital, at which he was frustrated but indicated he did want to pursue marriage counseling.

i find that out, and instantly all the intensive 3-hour-a-day therapy i'm doing goes out the window. then i calmed and i was just sad. i wasn't even angry at my husband, just sad. i have so much i have to get straight mentally, HOW DO YOU GET YOUR LOVED ONES TO AT LEAST BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND??!

my thoughts are not together. any advice, re: atypical depression, marriage counseling, medications... please give, i will pay attention. thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 07-17-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
    keenobserver
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
    Re: atypical depression - finally the right dx. Now what?

In short I will say that getting loved ones trust back is not easy. They will only understand if they experience something similar. The thing you can request is patience and your new plan on tackling your mental health issues.

Closed Thread