It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• mental health

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
    alittleslow
    (male)

alittleslow HB User
    Unhappy mental health

Hello I am a pyschiatric patient and I have recently been through a horrible experience. I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective dissorder with major depression. However I believe that I have been misdiagnosed and actually have pyschotic depression. I am unable to find a qualified Dr. in my area San Antonio. I require a Dr. who is able to order the requisite dexamethasone suppression test or able to refer me to a endocrinologist who is able to do so. I have recently suffered about 8 months of a dissociative fugue state due to the side effects of the medications that I was given for a pyschotic break. I have had to switch Dr.s twice. This mismanagment continued until I fell due to Tardive dyskinesia and suffered a trimalleolar fracture concurrent with 2 torn ligaments. I required a sled on the lateral malleolus 3 pins and a plate on my tibia. At this time my mother who I had to move in with due to losing my job because of the medication side effects stopped my pills completely. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
    Kimesie
    (female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User
    Re: mental health

I have one son with schizophrenia and one with depression, and I think that they both have the same cause, so the treatment is the same. This is not to say that I think that all depression has the same underlying cause as schizophrenia, or that I think that all schizophrenia has the same cause (although I think most schizophrenia has the same underlying cause).

The underlying cause is an overgrowth of organisms in the gut that produce a lot of histamine and/or acetaldehyde (such as candida). This can lead to depression because histamine lowers blood pressure and has to be balanced with the other neurotransmitters that are vasoconstrictors, which are serotonin, dopamine, nor-epinephrine and epinephrine (they all can raise blood pressure). So a lot of histamine can drain the other neurotransmitters leading to depression.

Histamine and/or acetaldehyde can lead to psychosis because they drain the resources of the body of what it needs to get rid of dopamine, because all of these neurotransmitters go through an acetaldehyde stage when they are degraded.

So anyway, I explained about this and how my son with schizophrenia is off meds with no symptoms now using supplements in the recent thread on niacin. I imagine that your psychosis and depression could be helped with the supplements, if you are inclined to try such a thing.

Last edited by Kimesie; 01-03-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
    steelmags
    (female)

steelmags HB Usersteelmags HB User

Can you give sources for your theory re depression and schizophrenia being the same disease or having the same causes?

Also, can you tell what, how much niacin or whatever would help?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
    steelmags
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimesie View Post
    I have one son with schizophrenia and one with depression, and I think that they both have the same cause, so the treatment is the same. This is not to say that I think that all depression has the same underlying cause as schizophrenia, or that I think that all schizophrenia has the same cause (although I think most schizophrenia has the same underlying cause).

The underlying cause is an overgrowth of organisms in the gut that produce a lot of histamine and/or acetaldehyde (such as candida). This can lead to depression because histamine lowers blood pressure and has to be balanced with the other neurotransmitters that are vasoconstrictors, which are serotonin, dopamine, nor-epinephrine and epinephrine (they all can raise blood pressure). So a lot of histamine can drain the other neurotransmitters leading to depression.

Histamine and/or acetaldehyde can lead to psychosis because they drain the resources of the body of what it needs to get rid of dopamine, because all of these neurotransmitters go through an acetaldehyde stage when they are degraded.

So anyway, I explained about this and how my son with schizophrenia is off meds with no symptoms now using supplements in the recent thread on niacin. I imagine that your psychosis and depression could be helped with the supplements, if you are inclined to try such a thing.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
    steelmags
    (female)

Medical science does not yet know what the "cause" of either depression or schizophrenia is. They are also entirely DIFFERENT diseases. To compare them is like comparing apples and oranges.
    There are only theories about neurostransmitter problems causing mental illness but if you really read the literature, they don't know for sure.
    I realize the poster is no longer here, but does anyone know anything about this "new theory". There are no links.
    Just curious.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
    steelmags
    (female)

Medical science does not yet know what the "cause" of either depression or schizophrenia is. They are also entirely DIFFERENT diseases. To compare them is like comparing apples and oranges.
    There are only theories about neurostransmitter problems causing mental illness but if you really read the literature, they don't know for sure.
    I realize the poster is no longer here, but does anyone know anything about this "new theory". There are no links.
    Just curious.

Closed Thread

Tags
    misdiagnosed, psychiatrist nuts, psychotic break, referral, schizo-affective