It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Is anyone having success with prozac

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
    teresa77
    (female)

teresa77 HB User
    Exclamation Is anyone having success with prozac

I have tried nearly ssri as well as Effexor and at one point zyprexa and abilify as add ons not one med has every provided an ounce of relief for my severe anxiety depression fears possible OCD and PTSD as a result of some medical traumas two years ago I realize everyone is different just wondering if anyone got relief on prozac when other meds didnt work. I have done counseling inpatient and outpatient treatment and nothing has helped my current psychiatrist has me on prozac now 60 and just started serax benzo cause it was the only one I haven't tried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
    tearsnfears
    Veteran
    (female)

tearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB Usertearsnfears HB User
    Re: Is anyone having success with prozac

Teresa, I am sorry to hear that you continue to struggle with Prozac and whether or not it is going to be an effective medication for you. I can relate to you to some extent having tried just about every a/d, odd label med used to treat depression or PTSD, numerous medications for other medical conditions tried in hopes that treatment for those issues would help etc. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread. I just wanted you to know that there is someone out hear that hears you and empathizes with what you are going thru. I can't give you the answer you are looking for, I tried Prozac but it has been over 10 years ago, I don't remember what the reasoning was at that time for stopping it. To be honest right now I am on what my dr' sand I are calling a med flush. Other than my replacement thyroid hormone, Ambien to sleep as I have had chronic insomnia since my teens. And a very strict limitation and schedule of rotated OTC antihistamines, NSAIDs, for not more than three doses a day for three days and then not more than three doses of stadol narcotic PM for not more than two days in a row to deal with my chronic migraines. If the rotation above does not eliminate the headache I am required to go two days without any of the meds the antihistamines, NSAIDs, or narcotics to prevent rebound symptoms. All in an attempt to clear as much medicine out of my system over three months before we go back to square one and start all over again trying meds.

That is why I brought up what we are doing with my migraines, I know in the past my doctors have always gone from one med to another never really giving my body time to process the old medication out before adding the new medication on top of it. Perhaps if you don't get the relief that you are seeking from Prozac, you might want to discuss a similar type of body cleanse period before you try something new or try something you have tried before but that might help.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
    steelmags
    (female)

steelmags HB Usersteelmags HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teresa77 View Post
    I have tried nearly ssri as well as Effexor and at one point zyprexa and abilify as add ons not one med has every provided an ounce of relief for my severe anxiety depression fears possible OCD and PTSD as a result of some medical traumas two years ago I realize everyone is different just wondering if anyone got relief on prozac when other meds didnt work. I have done counseling inpatient and outpatient treatment and nothing has helped my current psychiatrist has me on prozac now 60 and just started serax benzo cause it was the only one I haven't tried
    Hi Teresa:
    I understand your frustration. I don't know your dx, as you are mentioning zyprexa ad abilify which are anti-psychotics. the SSRI's are Effexor and Prozac. The thing is this: the antispychotics treat psychosis and are "sometimes used as adjuncts to SSRI's in depression. Has you doctor tried you on the older classes of drugs, namely the Tricyclics and MAO Inhibitors? These are two classes of drugs that are for depression. Also, if you have had a sufficient trial on at least 4 different SSRI's, I would think the doctor would then move on to other categories of drugs.

As far as the anxiety, yes, a benzo is good, but remember it I also addictive, so be careful.

I would ask my doctors about all of the above. If you have Major Depression without psychosis, I don't understand the use of antispsychotic drugs as they are strong drugs and have many, many sides effects and some of them are permanent. You really need to know about all of them and how they go together. Do they mix well?

I wish you all the best. Please remember that what works for one person, does not work for another. We are all different. So the question is a moot one. Just because Prozac helped someone else, does not mean it is a good drug for you. 60mg is thehighest dose and if you have been on it for 5 weeks with no help, I imagine it is time to move to a different one.

Read all you can about your condition and its treatment, read about the drugs you are being given, their side effects, etc. Be a well-informed consumer and ask your Doctor questions. He knows your case and only he can really answer your questions. People who write on a board like this can say "well "x" drug worked for me and "y" was awful, but that does NOT mean that that is the case with you. We are all different and respond differently, as I said above.

If you feel your current doctor (I hope it is a Psychiatrist) is not helping you, by all means look for another one. Good luck.
    Steelmags

Last edited by steelmags; 02-08-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
    AnxietyGirl74
    (female)

AnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB User

Hi. I have OCD, panic without agoraphobia, and depression, and prozac 80 mg worked well for me for 2 years until it pooped out on me. I would stick with it. There is hope. I hope it works for you as well as it did me. I am on paxil cr now, but I would have stuck with prozac had it not pooped out on me.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, depression, prozac