It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Switching from Lexapro to Wellbutrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
    quasaraven
    (female)

quasaraven HB User
    Question Switching from Lexapro to Wellbutrin

I'm switching from Lexapro 10mg to Wellbutrin HLC 75mg and want to hear others experiences in doing this. I've read a lot and honestly I'm pretty nervous. Lexapro saved my life, literally. I was <in very bad shape> for an entire week and finally have started antidepressants again.

Short background: 23 year old female. Took antidepressants from 14 to 19 then stopped completely up until a month ago. Only have been taking Lexapro for less than a month but I've loved it. Took care of both my anxiety and depression. Reason I'm switching is because of my completely killed sex drive. It's not that I don't get excited...it's just impossible to orgasm! And when I do it really doesn't feel that great. So increased seizure risk and possibly gaining some anxiety back from Wellbutrin sounded like a fair trade to get my libido back.

Since I haven't been on Lexapro that long I'm hoping it will be an easy switch. I'm also curious how other people have tapered off. I'm currently taking 10mg but they are split into two 5mg pills. I only have 14 left. Doctor suggested taking regular dose for a week with Wellbutrin an then switching to half a dose of Lex every other day which obviously doesn't work because I'll run out before the second week.

Also curious when people are taking their second doses (for those that aren't taking extended release). What I've read says 8-10 hours after first dose in morning. I've took my first one this morning at 7am, thinking I'll take the second one at 3pm. So far the only thing I notice is that my appetite has decreased and it's hard to eat (though I'm forcing myself because I have read low blood sugar contributed to the anxiety caused by Wellbutrin). My stomach is a little upset and I feel a sort of weird body high off and on. Putting my shoes on felt kind weird. My vision is a little blurry as well.

It would be great if you have any light to shed on the switch. (I know everyone is different!)

Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-01-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User
    Re: Switching from Lexapro to Wellbutrin

Just checking in to see how you're doing on the wellbrutin. I'm weaning off Lexapro myself.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
    quasaraven
    (female)

quasaraven HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toypoodle View Post
    Just checking in to see how you're doing on the wellbrutin. I'm weaning off Lexapro myself.
    It's going well. I'm totally off Lexapro now. I made the switch pretty quick because I hadn't been on it long. The biggest side effect I have from Wellbutrin is slight visual hallucinations.

I feel like Lexapro was making me happier but Wellbutrin is alright. It has sort of a less clean feeling to it. The stimulant properties are pretty strong at first. Start very slow with the dosage don't go up quick. I had a panic attack from taking too much to start with.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-01-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User

Do you mind me asking how many mg of Lexapro where you on ? How long did it take you to taper off ?

Closed Thread

Tags
    antidepressant, anxiety, lexapro, wellbutrin