It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Unable to feel emotion (?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
    DixieDoodle78
    (female)

DixieDoodle78 HB User
    Unable to feel emotion (?)

Over the past five months, I have been unable to feel extreme highs or lows. I feel like I am in a monotone mode and unsure what to do about it.

I miss feeling very happy or the warm fuzzy feelings or even sadness. Sometimes a good cry is very therapeutic.

Yet, I rationally do everything correctly and do not let these lack of emotions affect my daily life - I still go to work, am organized, pay my bills on time and keep quite busy.

A shift in life did happen in May and I did have a major evening cry fest due to mother's diagnosis of brain cancer. She is in treatment at this point and hanging in there. At least I know I am capable of emotion and it was a scary yet healing crying time.

Am I depressed? Could this lack of emotion be connected to a past low B 12 level or the fact that I have not had my period in two years (currently 36).

I am looking for natural suggestions or tactics to try at this point. Just started taking St. John's Wort and may try meditation. Basically, I want to be more in the moment and in touch with my emotions.

Thank you very much for you time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Unable to feel emotion (?)

Dixie, I do think that you're depressed. My advice? Go and talk to a professional.
    You need someone to share your feelings with.

Praying for your mom.

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpotato13 For This Useful Post:
    DixieDoodle78 (07-09-2014)
    Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Dixie, I also think you are probably depressed. It seems it started before your Mom's diagnosis, and since you had low B12 before, I would get that checked again, as low B12 can cause numerous neurological symptoms. So can estrogen deficiency, and it sounds, if you have not had periods for 2 years, that you have gone through a premature menopause, or perhaps have another hormone imbalance. Low thyroid can cause cessation of periods AND depression both, so I would get your thyroid levels checked and estradiol levels checked with FSH and LH, hormones that will show if you are in menopause. Sometimes, when people are faced with serious news about a loved one, their reaction is to go into a protective emotional shell to lessen the pain. Your Mom's diagnosis may be exacerbating the depression, causing you to "numb out" rather than feel the fear and anxiety such a diagnosis produces. I would approach this both medically and with a therapist. If you have a deficiency of vitamin B12 or hormones, that can be corrected, and a good therapist will give you support and a chance to explore your feelings about your Mom. I hope you both respond well to treatment.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
    DixieDoodle78 (07-09-2014)
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    DixieDoodle78 (07-09-2014),sweetpotato13 (07-08-2014)
    Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
    DixieDoodle78
    (female)

DixieDoodle78 HB User

Thank you both for your responses. Today I have a doctor appointment and I will ask about bloodwork. Will keep you posted!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Please do!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
    kanded
    (female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

Have them check your potassium levels also as depleted potassium can sometimes cause someone to have mood swings.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
    DixieDoodle78
    (female)

DixieDoodle78 HB User

Quick update - went to the doctor and told her about my fatigue and feelings, plus about my mother. She talked with me for a half hour about my physical feelings and gave tips about taking care of Mom. It truly made me feel better. She said based on my past history of the B12, she would give me a shot right then and there, then send me for bloodwork later. I got a shot yesterday and then will go back once a month for a shot for six months. Then we will re-evaluate. She told me kindly that I looked exhausted and that I needed to be aware if I think I am on that slippery slope of not functioning at all due to the depression.

As of right now, I would like to tackle the B12 problem and not just assume I need an anti-depressant. She was fine with that and told me I could call her anytime if I wanted to talk about Mom or my feelings.

Funny enough, she also told me to start taking prenatal vitamins as those have good doses of everything, plus a little something extra for stress. Started them yesterday.

Granted, I am still tired but I don't feel as lousy as I did. I know it doesn't happen overnight but it makes me feel better to go in the right direction.

Thank you again, all of you, for your kindness. You really helped and gave me the boost to call the doctor again and get a sooner appointment then next week. It is scary going through a major illness of my wonderful mother and these little things like a message board reminds me that I am not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to DixieDoodle78:
    kanded (07-11-2014)
    Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
    DixieDoodle78
    (female)

DixieDoodle78 HB User

Today is Tuesday and I am still feeling severe bouts of tiredness. But psychologically, I am glad that I am taking the multi-vitamin and will be getting the B 12 shots on a monthly basis.

It is strange how the tiredness makes me think of how our feelings impact our thoughts. Or is it the other way around?

This actually could be a larger metaphor for how we go through life. Please bear with me for a moment. You know how we go through life waiting for that perfect time or have our ducks in a row? Truthfully, we may never be truly "ready" or feeling the best about something, yet we need to pursue our dreams or do what we want to do.

Granted, illness does often get in the way or create alternate ways of getting from point A to point B. I wish I could will this away but I cannot. Yet, I still get up and function fully and get everything done in life.

Hopefully, the heavy tired feeling will go away soon so I can feel joy again and relief about getting all of these things done, even when my heart wasn't it in due to feeling so lousy.

Closed Thread

Tags
    depression, feeling "numb", help asap, lack of sex drive