It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Positive Thinking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
    Will I Be Happy
    Veteran
    (female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User
    Positive Thinking

Hi! I was supposed to be on Christmas vacation for the past week. Instead I was couched with bronchitis and the flu. I've been miserable. So down and out. I am not a person who does well with a lot of time to think. I've spent a lot of the week wanting to change my thought processes. I'm such a negative thinker. I've been trying to tell myself that although I'm miserable and it definitely wasn't the vacation that I wanted, that I'm still in a better position than many people. It wasn't the best week but I don't have cancer. It wasn't the best week but I'm not burying anyone. But I'm struggling because the negative thoughts of feeling alone, ending up alone, and my family dying still creep in. The feelings that I'm a loser still creep in. Has anyone found ways to help with negative thinking? I'm trying to make a conscious effort. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
    keenobserver
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
    Re: Positive Thinking

Hi,
    When things are not going well I tend to distract myself with simple things like TV shows, movies or getting personal things sorted. It makes everything go rather quicker and instead of feeling bad I end up feeling busy along with a sense of accomplishment.
    As it is your holiday and you are unwell, you should spoil yourself and just rest in bed all day. It would be easier I think if someone else was there but you can choose how you will handle things that matter to you at this point.
    Perhaps you can plan things to do when you feel its possible. Planning your day and executing those plans in my opinion is a productive way to make your day better. I am sure there were many things you think about doing when you are working and times like these are probably a good way of executing them.
    Let me know how it goes. Thanks

Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
    Will I Be Happy
    Veteran
    (female)

Will I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB UserWill I Be Happy HB User

Hi there! Thank you for responding. I'm still not 100% and feel the lethargy will linger for a while before it's 100% out of my system. I just signed up for a photography class, which starts in march. So I'm looking forward to that. I've been trying to be more aware of my thinking. Some good moments, then the negativity sets in. But, I am trying. I find it most difficult in the morning when I first wake up. It's like, "Ugh, everything is still the same." Baby steps I guess.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
    keenobserver
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi, So glad to hear you taking positive steps in enjoying your life better. Keep it going and also keep trying things that are for short term achievements. I guess as you say "Baby steps", perhaps you are taking the right steps forward. Keep us informed. Thanks

Closed Thread