It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Type 2 The diabetes diet of an elderly guy in his 70's with Insulin Resistance and Type 2!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
The diabetes diet of an elderly guy in his 70's with Insulin Resistance and Type 2!

Here is my current daily menu. I eat this same menu every day, month after month, year after year. No takeouts. No eating out. No alcohol. This is the price I pay for years of over indulgence... of over snacking every day and over eating every day. Even so... knowing what I know now, if I had a chance to go back and over indulge again, I would do it again!

I am in my 70's and my metabolism just does not like carbohydrates, especially high glycemic carbs! If I try to increase my carbs, by taking an extra piece of carrot, or some extra cereal, or extra corn, or a small piece of fruit, my ankles and feet will swell up and I will be lethargic for a day or two. My body dictates what I can eat and what I cannot eat. At this time my blood sugar readings are at very healthy levels, and I do not take any diabetes medications. That is the way I want it. I have learned to like my diet.

Believe it or not, before my health significantly improved, the carbohydrates in my diet were even more restricted.

My current daily diet:
  1. 5:30 am ...... Microwaved Vegs 10min cup high fiber, low sugar Cereal
  2. 8:00am ...... Microwaved Vegs 10min cup high fiber, low sugar Cereal
  3. 10:30am ...... 2 Microwaved Eggs with flax, cereal, olive oil
  4. 1:00pm Microwaved Vegs 10min; 2 Microwaved Eggs with flax, cereal, olive oil
  5. 3:30pm 2 Microwaved Eggs with flax, cereal, olive oil
  6. 6:00pm Microwaved Vegs 10min; 2 Microwaved Eggs with flax, cereal, olive oil

Eggs: 2 with cup cereal; 1 tsp flax ; after- Olive oil
Cereal: cup, 2 oz unsweetened almond milk, 2 oz water, let sit
Vegs: microwaved broccoli, cut green beans, 1/8 carrot, 3 vegs with peas, one with corn
Tilapia: microwaved, twice a week, weds, sat
⇒ 6 low cal meals <1500 cals; 2 eggs,4 salads
⇒ 900 weight lifts&600 knee bends daily

Last edited by Machaon; 05-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: The diabetes diet of an elderly guy in his 70's with Insulin Resistance and Type

I started a small meal, low calorie, low glycemic, balanced diet; and greatly limiting my carbs in 2005, about 13 years ago.

Very, very slowly over the years I noticed that I was able to include higher glycemic carbs in my diet.

Now, at 73, I still limit my calories to about 1500 calories per day, over seven meals, but I am able to include higher glycemic carbs like honey, tomato, granola bars, more cereal, etc.

I used to suffer nasty symptoms from the smallest increase in carbs, especially higher glycemic carbs; along with higher blood pressure and higher blood sugar readings.

I never took any medications/insulin for either Insulin Resistance or Diabetes II. Just wanted to show that there can be a road back from Insulin Resistance and Diabetes II thru proper diet. In my case, it took many years to recover, but I am reaping the rewards of years of dieting by being able to better enjoy my diet!
⇒ 6 low cal meals <1500 cals; 2 eggs,4 salads
⇒ 900 weight lifts&600 knee bends daily

Reply Reply