It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Really need some help please.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
crochet31
(female)

crochet31 HB User
Really need some help please.

Hi, I am new to posting but have been reading this board for a while.

Diagnosed 3 years ago, was taking Metformin and doing the diet, decided to hell with all this, and ate anything I wanted and as much as I wanted for about a year. I should have known better but you know how it can be sometimes. By this time I had some numbness in my left foot that was bothering me a little.

My doctor then put me on Glipizide and what a roller-coaster ride that was; blood sugar going up and down like a yo-yo. I still wasn't with the program and my blood sugar revealed that.

A couple of months ago I woke up in an ambulance being transferred to a larger hospital. Somehow I had got very dehydrated, blood pressure got dangerously low, and blood sugar over 600. My husband works the midnight shift, he had gotten home and I was still in bed sleeping. He said he had been in bed sleeping for a couple of hours and he awoke to me screaming for someone to help me; I was in the bathroom, pounding on the walls pleading for someone to help me. He somehow got me dressed, into the car, and drove me to the hospital. I was in their for ER several hours trying to stabilize me and transfer me to a larger hospital.

I was in the other hospital for three and a half days and the doctor there started me on insulin, I am on the Levemir Pen. Started out on 20 units at bedtime and about a month later, it was raised to 28 units at bedtime.

I am trying to do everything right but I am having an awful time of it. I have nephropathy in both my feet, some days I can barely walk they hurt so bad. I am on Lyrica; 175 mgs three times per day. Originally I was on the Lyrica to try to help with back and neck pain; I have a total of 6 blown out discs; 3 in my neck and 3 in my lower back. In addition to the Lyrica, I am on 30 mgs of morphine three times a day and Zanaflex 8 mgs four times per day.

I turned 60 a couple of months ago and that has not set well with me either. I am not a vain person but this business of turning 60 really got me. All this swirling in my head had me slipping down the rabbit hole and I went into a deep depression and began having anxiety attacks.

I was married to a very brittle diabetic for 18 years and I watched the hell he went through and I cared for him until he died in 1999. Thinking about all he went through, basically watching this dam disease eating him alive, renal failure, dialysis 3 times a week, heart and lung issues that only got worse as time went on.

At times all this is more than I can handle; the back and neck pain, the horrible nephropathy pain in my feet, sick of sticking my fingers, bruises all over my belly from the insulin shots, just really sick and tired of it all. I have lost 35 pounds and that helped getting A1c down in the 8 region and hoping to get it down even more.

I find myself very angry about all this. I watched my late husband fight this monster and now I am battling it as well.

I could really use some support, some guidance, something. Not sure how much more I can take.

Last edited by crochet31; 04-04-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
Uff-Da!
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Really need some help please.

I'm so sorry to hear of the pain and emotional upheaval you have been going through. I have no suggestions to help with the pain, but as a type 1 diabetic myself, I can assure you that most diabetics don't have to go through the chaos your husband did. Yes, some people have a much more difficult time to keep their blood glucose under control than others. But many who have troubles just don't know enough about diabetes to make the right decisions to get better control. Some are unwilling to make the dietary and other changes that their body requires in order to get control. And some have received poor advice from their doctors. For many, it does take a great deal of effort to get it under control. Each person has to decide whether or not they are willing to put in the necessary effort.

I've been able to keep my A1c in the range of 5.5 to 5.9 almost from the start of going on insulin almost four years ago. I'm on both basal insulin, Lantus, and a fast acting insulin that I take with meals. I eat a moderate carb diet, between 120 and 150 grams carb per day. To keep my glucose in a reasonable range, I have to test 4-8 times a day.

From what you've said I understand that you are a type 2 on basal insulin only. From what I've heard from other type 2s, most of those with excellent glucose control have to limit their carbs much more than I do. Some follow a keto diet and eat only about 30 grams carb per day. Others limit their carbs to 100 grams a day.

It is all carbs that turn to glucose, not just sugars. So starches like breads, cereals and the like need to be cut drastically for most diabetics. Fruit is full of natural sugar, so many of us have to eat them infrequently or have smaller than average servings. If you test your BG before you eat something and then about an hour afterward, you can see if your particular body finds that food acceptable. Many try to avoid or reduce serving sizes if a food raises their BG more than 40 points.

If you decide to lower your carb intake a lot, your doctor may need to lower your insulin dose to avoid hypos, so you'll need to coordinate with your medical team as you make changes. You might want to record your food intake on a website which automatically tallies the carbs and other nutrients as you enter the foods you have eaten. I found that an easy way to keep track of carbs.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 04-08-2017 at 05:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Uff-Da! For This Useful Post:
Machaon (04-08-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
crochet31
(female)

crochet31 HB User

Thank you for your reply Uff-Da.

Through talking with my family doctor, reading, reading and reading more, speaking with other diabetics and reading yet more, I feel I am in a better place with this horrible monster and my blood sugars much more stable.

What makes things even worse for me in trying to get a handle on this, I have had a love/HATE relationship with food most of my life; can't remember a time when I wasn't a compulsive eater, sweets in particular. So...........I have not only had to learn to eat a diabetic diet but also stay far far away from the sweets and also watch the carbs. Occasionally hubby will come in with a candy bar for me saying it was okay for me to cheat once in a while but I have found I can put that candy bar away in a drawer and as long as I leave it there, I am okay but just as soon as I break the seal on it, eating it only leaves me wanting more.

I dearly love one kind of juice; orange, pineapple, and banana; I could drink an entire carton of it. When I am craving something sweet, I go to the frig and take a swig of it and that seems to help. I eat a lot of salads, I love salad and I put everything but the kitchen sink in em. My mother, when she fixes a salad, its a bowl of lettuce with a little salad dressing but I can't go that route.

For breakfast I generally have a banana and 2 Nature Valley Soft-Baked Oatmeal Peanut Butter biscuits, it satisfies my craving for something sweet first thing in the morning but it gets me going on my day. Then most days I have either one humongous salad or two smaller salads. I also love yogurt and my favorite is Yoplat peach-flavored and I will have some of this if I am still wanting something more before going to bed. If I stick to this, my BS is around 130-140 in the evenings and its around 110-120 in the mornings. I know this is a very limited diet and probably sounds pretty boring but it works for me.

The horrible neuropathy pain I was having in my feet is much better also, I have even gotten most of the feeling back in my left foot I was having so much trouble with.

Uff-Da, I thank you for your response.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
Uff-Da!
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Glad to hear that you were able to bring your BG down. Keeping it in a closer to normal range sounds as though it has already helped relieve some of the neuropathy, and you may well see more improvements yet if you keep it up.

You can eat a banana and two biscuits at breakfast? Wow! My BG would probably hit 300 even with mealtime insulin! If you haven't already done it, you might want to check your BG both before you eat breakfast and an hour or two afterward to see if that high-carb breakfast affects you more than you realize. Many diabetics can handle more carbs later in the day, but are especially carb sensitive in the morning hours. I actually have to take twice as much insulin per gram of carb in the morning as I do for the same foods later in the day. If it turns out that you are more carb sensitive in the morning, you might just switch your meals around and eat a salad for breakfast and get your fruit or bread later in the day. No kidding, I often eat salad for breakfast, with (like you say) everything in it. I usually top it with some leftover chicken or some canned tuna or other protein. I have to have something to eat for breakfast besides eggs.

If you have a love-hate relationship with food, maybe you can even use this as an opportunity to try some new things. There are many low carb recipes out there. Some of them should give you ideas of things you might make yourself. I developed a cocoa-peanut butter-peanuts recipe with a base of cottage cheese and milk that I make often. Sounds weird, but it is totally yummy and is my diabetic substitute for the Reese's peanut butter cups I used to love in my pre-diabetic days. I use Truvia to sweeten it and gelatin as a thickener, so avoid carbs there. And nutritionally it has lots of protein and only about 10 grams carb per serving, so I can get away with eating it for breakfast. Originally, I made it with cream cheese, but after I saw my last cholesterol numbers, decided I'd opt for a few more grams carb in order to reduce the fat, so I switched to cottage cheese.

The point is, after looking up low carb recipes, it gave me the idea of what ingredients I might want to try together that would suit my needs, since I didn't find exactly what I wanted. You may well come up with some interesting recipes of your own that would be lower carb than what you'd previously been eating, but which satisfies your own tastebuds.

Here's wishing you much success in not only getting that diabetes under good control, but in finding solutions to the pain from the other problems.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Reply Reply