It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Blood Sugar Levels and Symptoms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
msbrega17
(female)

msbrega17 HB User
Blood Sugar Levels and Symptoms

I am 31 years old and for the past year or so I have been experiencing dizziness, severe headaches, lightheadedness, shaking and blurred vision. I experience these on an almost daily basis. If I take a glucose tablet I feel better. The past week I have started checking my blood sugar however not on a consistent basis and most times my levels are in the 115 range. I've tried talking to my doctor if it could be sugar related and she dismissed it and said it was unlikely. When I had my gallbladder out a year ago my levels were 360 after fasting for 24 hours. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am sick of feeling this way.

The following user gives a hug of support to msbrega17:
movielover40 (04-18-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Uff-Da!
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: Blood Sugar Levels and Symptoms

Some of symptoms you are describing, such as dizziness and shaking, would only likely be related to diabetes if you are actually hypo - under 70 mg/dl - at the time you are experiencing the symptoms. Unless you normally are running high BG, like 200-300, then the symptoms typical of a hypo might come at a higher level. That's what's referred to as a "false hypo."

I suggest that you try testing your BG fasting in the morning several times. Also test one hour after a meal that includes some fast carbs like bread, rice or fruit juice. If you spike to high number at the one hour point, you might want to have your doctor order an hbA1c test (which gives one an approximation of the average blood sugar over the previous three months) and/or an oral glucose tolerance test (OGGT)

Lightheadedness and dizziness can also be symptoms of low blood pressure. Again, you'd need to test when you are actually having the symptoms.

The elderly or even middle aged sometimes have normal blood pressure or even high BP before they eat, but have a low pressure episode 15-90 minutes after food, especially after high-carbohydrate foods. That's not too likely at your age, but you might want to make note of when the episodes happen just in case.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Does diabetes run in your family?

If not I could see where the doctor isn't concerned.

I agree with Uff get your A1c checked and that will put your mind at ease.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
msbrega17
(female)

msbrega17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
Does diabetes run in your family?

If not I could see where the doctor isn't concerned.

I agree with Uff get your A1c checked and that will put your mind at ease.

Best of luck to you.

Yes my father has it. And I believe my grandfather as well.

Reply Reply