It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Worried Spouse PLEASE HELP!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
cherry8456
(female)

cherry8456 HB User
Worried Spouse PLEASE HELP!

Hi, my spouse is diabetic, and doesn't seem to care. He has been diabetic for years, but seems to ignore it. He would rather eat, take his insulin shots and keep on having A1c numbers through the roof.. like 9.something... I worry myself to death, which isn't good for me. He actually came from his endocrinologist appointment to the grocery store and bought a pint of HagenDaaz, and ate the whole thing that same night..this past Tuesday. Plus cookies and other crap the same night. I don't know what to do... I really really don't. He gets mad if I offer to help with food issues, and I love him so much and I don't want to lose him to this disease. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
crochet31
(female)

crochet31 HB User
Re: Worried Spouse PLEASE HELP!

There really is only so much you can do, I know that is probably not what you were wanting to hear but there really is no magical word or magical formula you can slip in his coffee in the mornings.

Only education and him coming to terms with his disease are the only things that will save him. Stop beating yourself up, I went through the same thing with my late husband. Drinking heavily for years and years while on insulin completely wrecking his health and in turn cutting his life short. It wasn't until he began having severe problems with high blood pressure which lead to a diagnosis of near-end-stage renal failure that led to complete renal failure within 3 years and after only 3 years of dialysis he lost his battle to it all.

Sorry, I don't have the answers you are looking for because there are none, your husband holds all the cards by either complying or choosing not to comply but the choice is entirely his.

~Karen

Old 06-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Uff-Da!
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Unfortunately until he decides he cares about his health, there isn't much anyone else can do. When he starts developing neuropathy or vision problems, perhaps he'll decide to take it seriously. Too bad it seems to take that for some people, because one can lower the risk considerably by "behaving." But there are also those who, once they do develop complications, decide that it is too late so continue in their bad habits.

About the only thing a spouse can do is if the spouse does at least some of the cooking, to make those foods very diabetic friendly. There are some really yummy recipes on some of the low-carb websites. Maybe if you could find some that he'd like as much as the junk, he might be convinced. I make a really yummy chocolate-peanut butter "dessert" often. But it is nutritious enough and low enough carb that I eat it for breakfast. Someone who didn't know what was in it wouldn't know that the main ingredients are cottage cheese, milk and peanut butter. I use Truvia as the sweetener, so there is no added sugar. If you hunt for low-carb recipes, you'll also find some fair substitutes for other treats. That's about the only thing I can think of that might just possibly help a bit.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Uff-Da!
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I just thought of one more thing. Do you think there is any way you can suggest, without causing an angry outburst, that he might want to talk to his doctor about (or do a web search on) the relationship between long term high blood sugars and erectile dysfunction? I understand that that gets the attention of a lot of men who might not be concerned otherwise.

Reply Reply