It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

blood sugar numbers - could use some help.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
apanickedlife
(female)

apanickedlife HB User
blood sugar numbers - could use some help.

i have never been diagnosed with hypoglycemia or diabetes, mainly because i am terrified to make that call and see a doctor. if you couldn't tell by my username - i am extremely nervous when it comes to anything....especially doctors. so, here's my question:

at 3:30pm i sat down and ate a cup of strawberry banana yogurt with about 10-15 chocolate chips mixed in with it. around 4-4:15, i took my blood sugar glucose level with a meter and it read 77. that seemed super low, so i took it again and it read 89.

to me, that seems extremely low for having eaten such a high amount of sugar 30-45 minutes prior.

should i be concerned with this at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User
Re: blood sugar numbers - could use some help.

Everyone is different however once I ate a lot of cake with fudge icing for a week and got my labs done the following morning. My glucose was 87 but my triglycerides spiked to 287. I'm thinking that might be what happened to you and that's why your glucose was normal and not spiked. I bet if you got a blood test you wouldn't be so worried. I panic too when my numbers are out of whack but numbers change every day. It never hurts to see your numbers but do it every year.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Harri3t
Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
Re: blood sugar numbers - could use some help.

You can’t tell much from that since different carbohydrates are metabolized at different rates and the presence of fats, proteins, and fiber will also influence that as well. It’s unlikely your exact meal has ever been tested over time in any studies so there’s no way to come up with some number to compare. A healthy pancreas will also respond quickly with insulin to keep up with the load. If you’re worried, see a doctor and talk to them about further testing such as a simple fasting glucose done by a certified lab or maybe a glucose tolerance test.

Also, since you aren’t diabetic I don’t think you should get too concerned about a reading on a home glucose monitor. Even without accounting for operator errors including failure to regularly calibrate them or properly maintain strips, you might be surprised to find out how far off they can vary from a lab measured value and still be considered accurate. For lab values > 75 mg/dl, home monitors are considered accurate if they read within _/+ 15% of that, 95% of the time. Depending upon what your lab measured value may have been, the 2 values your meter read could both easily be considered within range thus “accurate”.

Some meters don’t meet the recommended standards at all. The FDA just recommends standards but doesn’t test meters or enforce accuracy. It’s a good idea to do some research and get some professional advice before purchasing a home meter. The best are good for monitoring trends and most will get you close enough to the ball park that insulin dose changes based on them won’t be harmful but if you think the numbers you got are your true blood glucose value you’re likely wrong.

Reply Reply