It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Friend passing out - what happened?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Nants
(female)

Nants HB User
Friend passing out - what happened?

My friend has a tendency to pass out on a random basis.. I was told she had a very scary spell last weekend. Trying to find out some more information and if anyone else has experienced this. She is 60 years old and has been a type II diabetic for many years.

She is on a pump.. she drank 4 small glasses of wine in 1 1/2 hours.. She felt it coming on.. told husband to help her to bedroom.. made it to bedroom and she passed out. This time she stopped breathing for a period of time, Luckily she was with an RN so she started rubbing hard on her chest trying to revive her, she was getting ready to do CPR when she finally came to. She said her vision was very odd this time.. It was like looking at a black and white negative where she could only see outlines. She finally recovered, said her blood sugar reading was only 200 - plus she is on a pump! So what do you think happened??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Friend passing out - what happened?

Dear Nants,

What happened is called diabetic coma from hyperglycemia which happens from consuming too much sugar. It is common to diabetics that ignore healthy dietary restrictions.

She should never, ever drink alcohol. All alcohol is fermented carbohydrate - highly concentrated sugar. It is destructive to her body and can kill her.

She might not be revived next time. She needs to take her life seriously and be on a controlled diet and never have access to sugar or alcohol in any form. You can read up on it here -

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperglycemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373631

Diabetes is controllable, but it means making the right choices. No one should allow her to get alcohol or any kind of concentrated sugar. Even some fruits are inappropriate.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 03-21-2018 at 04:29 AM.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Only 200?????? 100 is the cutoff for normal. That was hugely dangerous level. She needs to get her act together.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
YaYagirl (03-22-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #4
SamQKitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I have a different take on this. Alcohol hinders the mechanism by which the liver can release stored glycogen when the blood sugar goes too low. It's likely your friend actually had a severe low, but because of the alcohol, it took her liver too long to release. By the time it did, her blood sugar came up. Also, when this happens, the liver just dumps all its glycogen at once. If this person has frequent lows, there might not be as much glycogen stored. So, if I'm right, then normally her blood glucose would have gone even higher than 200 after a liver dump.

Also, an insulin pump is only as good as its user. It's not an artificial pancreas. It can't stop your blood sugar from going too low or too high if you don't eat properly or drink alcohol. Or if you over-bolus or under-bolus for a meal. You still have to count carbs and bolus appropriately. If your pump settings are correct and you count carbs correctly, your blood sugars will be much more stable.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 03-27-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Reply Reply