It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Metformin rebound?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Mahlia
(female)

Mahlia HB User
Metformin rebound?

Last year I had a fasting BS of 101. I did some reading and had almost all the signs of metabolic syndrome and asked to be put on Metformin and was taking 500mg XR once a day. I am 5'4" and was somewhere between 150-160lbs. I WAS ONLY ON IT ONE YEAR.

At 3 months fasting BS went up to 105, 6 months up to 110, 9 months finally down at 89. A1C has been good the whole time. I feel like this drug was needed because it took away 70% of the sugar cravings I had and I lost a little over 10 pounds, so my body craving sugar must have been something off...

I recently had gallbladder surgery and went off the Metformin 2 days prior due to possibility of more diahhrea from the surgery, dr. said that was ok. After 2 days the day of surgery fasting BS was 129, dr. said she wasn't concerned.

I thought I lost 10 lbs. and my sugar cravings didn't come back so maybe I wouldn't need to go back on it. Bought myself a machine and random BS was 92. It's now 4 weeks off meds and fasting BS this morning 139!!! I'm waiting til the weekend to test again so there's a longer fasting time, more time awake before testing.

Why would my BS go up so much higher than before I started this drug, and after only 1 year on it?? I was hoping not to go back on this. Now I'm not sure if I should start if it stays high after another week or 2 or wait longer.
Any comments/help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply