It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Am I diabetic?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
gop
(male)

gop HB User
Am I diabetic?

I had my physical exam recently.
I am 57 years old and healthy

Fasting - 102 (fasted for 14 hours)
PP (2 hours after breakfast_ - 158
A1c - 6.5%

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Am I diabetic?

Your A1C is a bit high, and your doctor may call it Pre-diabetic; however it is by no means out of control. There are things you can do to lower it and your doctor will go over this with you when you do your follow up.

My husband's A1C runs about the same and then goes as low as 4 at times..its really controlled by diet and by exercise. He also takes supplements to help lower it...Speak with your doctor. He or she should have a game plan for you.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
gop
(male)

gop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Your A1C is a bit high, and your doctor may call it Pre-diabetic; however it is by no means out of control. There are things you can do to lower it and your doctor will go over this with you when you do your follow up.

My husband's A1C runs about the same and then goes as low as 4 at times..its really controlled by diet and by exercise. He also takes supplements to help lower it...Speak with your doctor. He or she should have a game plan for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response.
Yes, my doctor said I am pre diabetic but didn't prescribe any medication.
I would like to monitor my glucose at home.
Do you have any suggestions for a reliable glucose meter, preferably with A1C as well?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

No home monitoring devices are accurate...My suggestion is to change your diet, do whatever your doctor tells you to do and ask if you can get a blood test for your A1C every quarter. My husband is able to stop in and get his blood drawn quarterly at this physicians office and he gets a call back from either the doctor or the nurse when the results come in. To date, he has lowered his A1C about a whole point, but it does fluctuate. As long as it is not getting higher; we are both happy!

Old 07-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Laura789
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

I wold recommend that you do get a monitor. The 158 after breakfast is a bit high. Perhaps you ate a lot of carbs, but a monitor would allow you to to track your blood glucose after meals and know how foods affect you and you would know what to eat and what to avoid.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Reply Reply