It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Type 2 Peripheral Neuropathy Worsening

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
    jcd43
    (male)

jcd43 HB User
    Peripheral Neuropathy Worsening

Type 2 diabetic for several years. I take 1.2 mg Victoza/day and four Metformin ER 500mg per day. Very satisfied with my present medication and my diabetes seems well controlled. Latest A1c was 5.6 and I now have my triglycerides and cholesterol in the normal range. I also am slowly bringing my weight down BUT not all systems are happy.

The numbness, pins-and-needles sensations, etc. in my toes began about a year or so ago and have progressively gotten worse. Six months ago, my thumbs began showing signs of numbness. Today the tips of all my fingers have very little feeling and my toes alternate between being smashed by a hammer, heated up by a blowtorch or providing a home for fire ants.....all while I seem to have my diabetes under control?

I feel that with my diet and her meds, I am winning the battle but why is my nerve pain accelerating...and is it going to continue getting worse, regardless of what I do? My doc did offer some suggestions. First time I brought the subject up, she suggested acupuncture. 2nd time...some homeopathic medicine that people with CKD should not take. The third time... take more Gabapentin. My 76-year-old BS meter just moved up a couple of ticks!

Color me frustrated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Peripheral Neuropathy Worsening

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcd43 View Post
    Today the tips of all my fingers have very little feeling and my toes alternate between being smashed by a hammer, heated up by a blowtorch or providing a home for fire ants.....all while I seem to have my diabetes under control
    The best judge of your diabetic condition are your symptoms.

In my case, I kept decreasing the carbs in my diet until my nasty symptoms and my health improved. I went on a low carb diet, targeting Insulin Resistance, around 1200 total daily calories, divided into 6-7 small meals. The effects of this diet greatly improved my health. Over the years, as my health continued to improve, I've been able to increase total calories to about 1500, including increased carbs.

Do you know how many carbs you eat at each meal, and for the day? Do you eat high glycemic carbs, such as potato, or rice or pasta? Do you eat high sugar fruits? Drink alcohol?

Quote:
    I take 1.2 mg Victoza/day and four Metformin ER 500mg per day.
    Those are some fairly powerful doses of medications that attempt, as best as they can, to control the very complex bodily functions of carb metabolism, including insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity. They are not perfect and they do not do a perfect job. The best medication that one can take for one's health is a healthy diet, one that addresses an individual's unique metabolic requirements.

I know that it can be very difficult to reduce carbs, especially high glycemic carbs, because they are so good tasting, but that is a choice that sometimes we have to take or pay the consequences.

Regards, Bob

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply