It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Metformin pain?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
    helpthemom
    (female)

helpthemom HB User
    Metformin pain?

May 23rd I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. My A1C was 5 but my insulin resistance was elevated at

My Dr. put me on Metformin 500mg once a day. I had gi upset for a week or so but my body adjusted. I started following the diet I used when I had gestational diabetes and quickly lost 12lbs. My one month check up showed that my insulin resistance had only dropped .9 despite all of my efforts. Metformin was upped to 500mg twice a day. It causes such bad gi upset that I can't leave the house. I also was having horrible bloating and stomach cramps. My abdomen on the left side, around to my back hurts. I can't tell if it's muscle or internal because at times it feels like both. I also get a pain right in the center of my abdomen. I stopped taking the Metformin twice a day. The bathroom trips have subsided but the pain is still there. I am starting to get really worried. I do have a follow up on Monday but don't know if I should wait until then to get it checked out. I am getting in my head and starting to get anxious that something else is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Metformin pain?

I'd like to share my success story of my battle against Insulin Resistance and High Blood Pressure.

Back in 2005, after a year of experimenting with an Insulin Resistant diet I posted this question: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? Link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/242229-does-insulin-resistance-diet-improve-blood-pressure.html

Back then, I had almost no knowledge of Insulin Resistance or Diabetes. I only knew that my blood pressure was dangerously high ALL THE TIME! I did not realize the link between my blood sugar metabolism and high blood pressure.

Now after 15 years of not taking any diabetes medications, such as Metformin, and religiously adhering to a strict, 6 small meal, low calorie, low carb diet, year after year after year, at 75 years of age, my health has significantly improved, my blood pressure readings are always at healthy levels all day and night, and my blood sugar is also at very good levels, either fasting, or two hours after eating.

I didn't recover overnight. My recovery was very slow and gradual. Very slow! Year after year, month after month my health improved. Just wanted to pass on my experience with the powerful curative powers of a healthy, small meal, low calorie, low carb diet.

Best of luck and good health, Bob!

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
    helpthemom
    (female)

helpthemom HB User

Thank you for your response! I had my follow-up yesterday and will have bloodwork done today. My Dr. was not happy that I couldn't tolerate the Metformin and said I needed to give it time. I told her that 2 weeks of uncontrollable gi upset is more time than I should have given it. I can't return to a classroom in the fall and run out on 20 students because of a medication side effect! She also was not happy that I was eating approx. 80 carbs a day...she wants less said she prefers ZERO carbs. I refuse to eat less than that because no carbs is not healthy. I asked for a referral to see an endocrinologist and she was offended, but put a referral through. I'd rather be with an expert to help me navigate through this.

Did you work with a nutritionist?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi helpthemom

Sorry about your problems with Metformin and your negative experiences with your current doctor.

No I never worked in the medical industry.

You do about 80 grams of carbs each day (320 calories). I do about 104 grams of carbs (not counting fiber) each day (416 calories). I feel that diet can be the best "medication" for good health, or our worst enemy.

I had diabetes II and Insulin Resistance and heart failure and persistent atrial fibrillation beginning in 1987, and have never been on diabetes medication. I cured my diabetes 2 and insulin resistance solely through diet. Although my diet has changed quite a bit over the years, as I recovered; back in 2005 I experimented with the following diet guidelines, but frequently modified the diet as my blood sugar and blood pressure improved:

+++ I ate a moderate carbohydrate diet (about 45% of total calories)!

+++ and... a diet rich in mostly nonstarchy vegetables (leafy greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.). (6 servings per day).

+++ and... I ate about 3 small pieces of fruit per day

+++ and... I ate mostly high fiber, whole grains and legumes (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereals), and kept portion sizes moderate. The tough part: about 5-7 servings per day. One serving equals one slice of bread, one 6” tortilla, cup grains, legumes, or starchy vegetables, or small bagel.

+++ and... I replaced excess carbs with more heart healthy monounsaturated fats! (nuts, peanut butter,
    olive/canola oil, avocados). For instance, I tried 1/4 cup of nuts for a snack instead of "bready" things. I used 1-2 Tbsp.
    oil/vinegar dressings on my salads. Currently I make my own honey mustard dressing that doesn't require refrigeration.

+++ and... I tried adequate protein with meals! Protein-rich foods (like tofu, fish, chicken, lean meat,
    low fat cottage cheese, and eggs) .

I found out that a small meal, low carb, low calorie, frequent eating diet not only cured my diabetes and insulin resistance but significantly improved my heart!

This may give you some ideas.

Regards, best of health and luck, Bob

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily

Reply Reply