It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Type 2 High Morning levels

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
    Taxiracer88
    (female)

Taxiracer88 HB User
    High Morning levels

I have been doing so good...Up until 3 days ago I was staying at 107 or less one morning was only 94. No changes in how I eat. The really low days I ate very little for lunch and walked quite a bit. But the last 3 days I have had readings of 132, 114, and 120. I take Metformin 500mg once a day...before bedtime. Have no idea about my A1C..haven't seen the doctor in over 3 months. Anyway...I have looked at several KETO diet videos, and web sites, but all the measuring and all I just get lost. I'm not good with measurements, I cook by taste...very rarely use a recipe. the stuff the recipes ask for you to use...wow...WAY over my budget! If I had to buy that stuff I would not have enough money on my Food Stamps to cover even 2 weeks. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated. If I do not eat, I get tired and then I look for just Something to eat. I am so lost.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: High Morning levels

Hi, Taxiracer88,

The KETO diet is difficult to follow and probably should not be followed. It can achieve some short term goals like weight-loss but the weight loss isn't that great and is mostly water-weight, according to my research. Also, the KETO diet tends to be low in fiber and sometimes includes too many saturated fats. In my opinion, the human body was not designed to function on this type of high fat diet. Short term there may be some gains but long term there could likely be many losses.

Any diet that is high in fat and/or protein is going to be low in fiber. You can't be high in everything. If you're going high in one thing, you're going to be low in something else. Does that sound like a balanced diet?

A lot of people think that the only purpose of dietary fiber is too provide a regular bowel movement. Of course, most people don't like fiber so they never bother to find out what other benefits are provided by dietary fiber.

The standard recommendation is to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. But then they say you need 25 grams of fiber per day. Try it sometime and see if you get 25 grams of fiber - without fiber supplements. The best advice, in my opinion, is to get as much fiber in your diet as you can. 25 grams of fiber from natural whole foods should be a minimum. The more the better.

From my experience, the main problem is that the average person doesn't like high fiber foods. And that's usually the reason they have health issues in the first place. The average person prefers white rice over whole grain rice, white pasta over whole grain pasta etc. In other words, most people prefer processed foods over natural whole foods and do not like eating beans or a wide variety of dark leafy green vegetables.

In my opinion, with the proper diet, Metformin probably wouldn't be needed. I see it as short term fix.

As far as recipes, I totally agree with you. I dislike recipes and never use them. I just put together a large amount of healthy vegetables and include one serving of whole (intact) grain. Some good examples of intact grains would be steel-cut oats, whole wheat berries or whole grain rice. Grains that are ground into flour, get absorbed into your system too fast.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
    Taxiracer88
    (female)

Taxiracer88 HB User

I have read about experiments on the differences between white and whole grain. As well as a banana vs 2 candy bars. For the first time in a year of the battle I am beginning to understand diabetes and balancing fats and fiber. I am so glad I haven't given up on trying to find an answer. When I saw my sugar level going up those 3 days, I was about to just throw up my hands and give up. But after seeing this video...it gave me now I have more hope.

This morning my sugar level was 97. I had been taking my meds right after dinner. I cut any food intake at ALL by 9pm. So I was fasting last night from 9pm until 9:45 this morning. Anyway...thank you for your reply...I had forgotten what it was that helped Carbs..in other words, I only looked at the amount of carbs on the label, and not the ones from FIBER...You helped remind me. Thank you!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-27-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Great! Glad to hear you're doing better. Keep it up.

By the way, I get about 30 or more grams of fiber per day and my blood glucose level is usually around 86.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
    Taxiracer88
    (female)

Taxiracer88 HB User

That is wonderful...I hope sooner or later I can get down to that...but would be happy if I could just STAY 95 or less.

Reply Reply