It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Type 2 My blood sugar tests are always at healthy levels. Am I no longer a diabetic?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    My blood sugar tests are always at healthy levels. Am I no longer a diabetic?

I have never taken any medication for diabetes or insulin resistance. I eat six low carb meals which consists of four romaine, broccoli and cheese salads (with one tablespoon of home made honey mustard dressing); two eggs; four protein bars and tons of decaf coffee. My blood sugar levels are always at very nice levels and so it my health.

Once in a while I get rebellious and attempt something like another protein bar, or I substitute one of my protein bars with a higher sugar bar, or I'll take extra salad dressing, and my blood sugar levels rise to somewhat unhealthy levels, I'll have increased sweating and my heartbeat will become less stable. So... I just back it down to my normal diet, and voila, back to good blood sugar levels and reduced symptoms!

That said, it just shows that, after 16 years of dieting, without having to take any diabetic medications, I still have to greatly limit my carbs. My blood sugar levels are always at very healthy levels, but I have to still consider myself diabetic! It just seems odd, having healthy blood sugar levels, but still being a diabetic!

Never cured, but always controlled!

Why is this a big deal to me? Well... in 1987 I suffered from nasty, debilitating heart failure along with persistent AFib and Diabetes, all of which greatly improved through a diet targeting insulin resistance. I've wondered if my diabetic problems would eventually go away! Not yet!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: My blood sugar tests are always at healthy levels. Am I no longer a diabetic?

You are a diabetic who is able to control without meds. A reallllly good thing. It's forever....and it's an inherited disease, so if you have kids, that's a possible concern for them as well.
    Im assuming you have other tests such as liver and kidneys checked. Diabetes has effects on other parts of the body.
    q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    Machaon (08-31-2020)
    Old 08-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: My blood sugar tests are always at healthy levels. Am I no longer a diabetic?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Im assuming you have other tests such as liver and kidneys checked.
    Yep, I get a series of blood tests every six months.

Up until 2005, at age 60, I ignored blood sugar levels and daily I ate large bowls of ice cream, two chocolate bars, a bag of popcorn, a couple of plates of potato chips, plus a few beers, not to mention the pastas and potatoes and pizzas and subs, etc. and loved every last morsel! I refused to diet until the symptoms got so bad that I had no other choice!

Over the past 15 years my diet slowly, painfully and gradually evolved into the current diet. With each change in diet I would monitor blood pressure, blood sugar and symptoms until I finally got it right. Took a long time, but I was given a second chance! I was lucky! My brother had a massive stroke and has been in a wheel chair for the past 10 years.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Not luck.....you made the conscious choice and all the effort toward those changes and continued improved health. Accept the subjective and humble credit for achieving a most admirable task.

Very sad to hear about your brother.

All the best,
    q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    Machaon (09-01-2020)
    Reply Reply

« U-500 Insulin | - »