It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Prediabetes diagnosis today - Freaking out

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-01-2021, 02:33 AM   #1
    dyara155
    (male)

dyara155 HB User
    Prediabetes diagnosis today - Freaking out

Hi everyone,
    I had the courage to get a blood test (my last blood test was 14 years ago, im 34 years old). I'm terrified of needles and it was a traumatic experience for me getting blood out. That was the positive news. Unfortunately the bad news is that I have been diagnosed with prediabetes within the last few hours.

As I am unable to see my doctor due to COVID restrictions in my country, I came across this group in search of support groups and places I can learn more about this condition.

I quit drinking alcohol 5 months ago however I still smoke. I have been slightly overweight for 2 years but have packed on 4kg since being in COVID lockdown (gyms for instance are closed). I had been fairly active but I must admit, I have been eating a lot of junk food. Chocolate is my weakness.

I respectfully wanted to ask the following questions as I am extremely nervous with what lies ahead. If I have offended anyone, I genuinely apologise and do not intend to offend anyone.

Questions:
    1/ Is it possible to get my sugar levels back to a normal level for good if I make some changes to my lifestyle? Or has the damage already been done?

2/ With a diagnosis of prediabetes, even if I get my sugar levels back to a normal level, does this mean that I can never eat chocolate again? If I were to eat a whole block (that is 180g) if I get back to a normal level, would I then go straight back into the prediabetes level?

3/ Thinking about the long-term and if my condition does not improve and I get Type 2 Diabetes: If the answer is YES for question 1, is it also possible for someone with Type 2 Diabetes to get their sugar levels to a normal level too just as a diabetic can? If not, why not? Surely if you make changes to your lifestyle with Type 2 diabetes, you will also be able to get your sugar levels to a normal level and totally get rid of Diabetes? Or am I missing something here?

4/ If a person manages to reverse prediabetes, is it possible that they can live the rest of their life without developing Type 2 Diabetes? Or will it still inevitably cause Type 2 Diabetes?

5/ I'm still coming to terms with my diagnosis. From my understanding, basically you can have no problems with blood sugars levels or if you do, you have the condition Type 2 Diabetes, right? In terms of prediabetes, do I or don't I have diabetes yet? Is there something wrong with my pancreas as a prediabetic or is my pancreas more like someone with no diabetes OR someone with diabetes? Is it correct in saying that prediabetes just a term used to say that our pancreas arent screwed yet AND to give us a warning that if we dont change our ways we will develop problems such as Diabetes?

Sorry for the long questions. I really appreciate people going out of their time to answer these questions. I hope you are all safe and doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
    pilly2
    (female)

pilly2 HB User
    Re: Prediabetes diagnosis today - Freaking out

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyara155 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I had the courage to get a blood test (my last blood test was 14 years ago, im 34 years old). I'm terrified of needles and it was a traumatic experience for me getting blood out. That was the positive news. Unfortunately the bad news is that I have been diagnosed with prediabetes within the last few hours.

As I am unable to see my doctor due to COVID restrictions in my country, I came across this group in search of support groups and places I can learn more about this condition.

I quit drinking alcohol 5 months ago however I still smoke. I have been slightly overweight for 2 years but have packed on 4kg since being in COVID lockdown (gyms for instance are closed). I had been fairly active but I must admit, I have been eating a lot of junk food. Chocolate is my weakness.

I respectfully wanted to ask the following questions as I am extremely nervous with what lies ahead. If I have offended anyone, I genuinely apologise and do not intend to offend anyone.

Questions:
    1/ Is it possible to get my sugar levels back to a normal level for good if I make some changes to my lifestyle? Or has the damage already been done?

****Answer/1. Yes. You can reverse course. Here is what I did. Stopped all sweets including,fruits and starches. This includes any of flour grain pasta, breads rice etc. When you get under prediabetic range easily with this.

2/ With a diagnosis of prediabetes, even if I get my sugar levels back to a normal level, does this mean that I can never eat chocolate again? If I were to eat a whole block (that is 180g) if I get back to a normal level, would I then go straight back into the prediabetes level?

****Answer/2. You should never go back to eating large or moderate deserts or candy at all! It will create cravings and you could put yourself back in a situation that could spiral out of control. You must control your portions and promise to not eat foods that create monster cravings. This is for your future health.

3/ Thinking about the long-term and if my condition does not improve and I get Type 2 Diabetes: If the answer is YES for question 1, is it also possible for someone with Type 2 Diabetes to get their sugar levels to a normal level too just as a diabetic can? If not, why not? Surely if you make changes to your lifestyle with Type 2 diabetes, you will also be able to get your sugar levels to a normal level and totally get rid of Diabetes? Or am I missing something here?

****Answer/3. All,you need to do is stop eating all junk carb ridden craving producing foods. It will take several months to overcome this. Your choice. Replace foods with fresh veggies in moderation as Well. The more you put food into your mouth no matter how healthy it will be harder. If you change yes your eating choices you will be back to normal in no time. But you cant ever go back. You will find yourself worse. If you do be strong and and responsible and get back with the healing program. And your new way of eatinf will be so much easier.

4/ If a person manages to reverse prediabetes, is it possible that they can live the rest of their life without developing Type 2 Diabetes? Or will it still inevitably cause Type 2 Diabetes?

****Answer/4. Yes, very possible people do this everyday. However you cant ever go back to your old way of eating. Remember this is about making life changing habits for LIFE not short term so you cant go back to eating junk and carb foods.

5/ I'm still coming to terms with my diagnosis. From my understanding, basically you can have no problems with blood sugars levels or if you do, you have the condition Type 2 Diabetes, right? In terms of prediabetes, do I or don't I have diabetes yet? Is there something wrong with my pancreas as a prediabetic or is my pancreas more like someone with no diabetes OR someone with diabetes? Is it correct in saying that prediabetes just a term used to say that our pancreas arent screwed yet AND to give us a warning that if we dont change our ways we will develop problems such as Diabetes?

****Answer/5. I dont know what condition your pancreas is in no one does. May e ask your doctor. But if you were in,bad shape Id hope he would have told you so. So dont worry about the pancreas. Just change your life time eating habits, add in exercise and drink plenty of water. And YES this is a warning sign for you. I vowed I would never be on insulin like my brother. And after 10 years Im still doing great and lost 30 pounds.

Ive found amino acid supplements worth really good for me and give me energy. Do,some research on L Tyrosine, L-phenylalanine and N Acetylcyeine known as NAC. This is about as much as I can give you.
    So, do your own research. You can do it, your health is your choice and responsibility.

Lots of Luck

Sorry for the long questions. I really appreciate people going out of their time to answer these questions. I hope you are all safe and doing well.

Last edited by pilly2; 10-01-2021 at 12:34 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to pilly2 For This Useful Post:
    dyara155 (10-05-2021)
    Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:

Questions:
    Hi dyara!

I have never taken any medication for diabetes or insulin resistance. I eat five low carb meals which total two romaine, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes and cheese salads (with one tablespoon of home made honey mustard dressing); two eggs; three protein bars, about 3 tablespoons of chocolate ice cream (each meal) and tons of decaf coffee. My blood sugar levels are always at very nice levels and so is my health.

Once in a while I get rebellious and attempt something like another protein bar, or I substitute one of my protein bars with a higher sugar bar, or I'll take extra salad dressing, and my blood sugar levels rise to high normal, I'll have increased sweating and my heartbeat will become less stable. So... I just back it down to my normal diet, and voila, back to good blood sugar levels and reduced symptoms!

That said, it just shows that, after 17 years of dieting, without having to take any diabetic medications, I still have to greatly limit my carbs. My blood sugar levels are always at very healthy levels, but I have to still consider myself diabetic! It just seems odd, having healthy blood sugar levels, but still being a diabetic!

Never cured, but always controlled!

Why is this a big deal to me? Well... in 1987 I suffered from nasty, debilitating heart failure along with persistent AFib and Diabetes, all of which greatly improved through a diet targeting insulin resistance. I've wondered if my diabetic problems would eventually go away! Not yet!

Just wanted to give you some things to think about and to compare to!

Regards, Bob

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    dyara155 (10-05-2021)
    Old 10-05-2021, 02:19 AM   #4
    dyara155
    (male)

dyara155 HB User

Thanks for the replies pilly2 and Machaon. Very inspiring stories by the two of you - really enjoyed reading your responses.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you are Type 2 Diabetic or prediabetic, or in the normal blood sugar range - Healthy eating and regular exercise is important. Without trying to sound disrespectful, I guess for Type 2 Diabetics it is more important than say someone with normal blood sugar range to eat healthy. But in saying that, if a person with a normal blood sugar range begins to eat unhealthy over a long period of time, they too could find themselves to be a diabetic.

Furthermore, it seems like a healthy diet, regular exercise and ensuring your waist line minimizes are the unofficial cure to getting rid of Type 2 Diabetes and Prediabetes, right?

I've learnt more about fasting glucose levels and my Hba1c results. If I told you that I haven't exercised (except go for morning walks) whilst eating junk and fast food regularly and 180g of chocolate every 2 days, it didn't surprise me that I was in the prediabetes stage. However, given that these are the worst 3 months of my life in terms in inactivity and unhealthy eating, I would have thought my results to be worse than they are? How bad would you say my results actually are? What is a good Hba1c range to work towards?

Glucose Fasting: 5.8 mmol/L (3.6 6).
    Insulin Fasting (Abbott Architect Method): 8 mU/L (0-20)
    HbA1C (IFCC): 40 mmol / mol ( 20-38)
    HbA1C (NGSP): 5.8% (4.0-5.6)

It seems that my fasting glucose levels seem to just fall within the normal range, however my Hba1c results were slightly over the normal range and into the prediabetes stage.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    ... Without trying to sound disrespectful, I guess for Type 2 Diabetics it is more important than say someone with normal blood sugar range to eat healthy. But in saying that, if a person with a normal blood sugar range begins to eat unhealthy over a long period of time, they too could find themselves to be a diabetic.
    I was able to eat unhealthy for decades! I drank beer every day. I ate two chocolate candy bars daily. I ate plates of potato chips daily. For meals it was a half a large pizza, or a meatball and cheese sub, or a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I could eat nonstop and never fill up! I was 5'9" and 180 pounds, which wasn't too bad, in my mind. My blood sugar was around 180, but I didn't feel too bad, so I ignored it.

But... as I approached age 50, my health deteriorated badly. I had to sit straight up to watch tv or to sleep. I couldn't recline at all or I wouldn't be able to breath. My heart would go nuts, beating fast and hard, or fast and weak, or very erratic. I felt so bad that I had to do something about my very poor diet. In other words, the pain got so bad that I had no other choice but to go on a very healthy diet!

I started a small meal, frequent eating (6-7 times per day), low glycemic carb "insulin resistant" diet of less than 1500 calories.

I learned that, over the years, I had caused my body to become diabetic and Insulin Resistant, damaging my pancreas. For a long time I consumed more carbs than my body could handle, causing my pancreas to overwork and weaken, producing more and more insulin, that was being rejected by my body.

The purpose for the small meals is so that it takes less effort and stress for my metabolism to handle the calories. The reason for the frequent eating is because I still had to consume a minimum of calories for each day.

Very slowly, over the years, my pancreas recovered, without having to take any medication. I would often try to eat more carbs, but either my blood sugar would get too high, or I would feel ill. But... over the years, I was able to consume more carbs.

So... even after decades of abuse, my pancreas and my metabolism have managed to become healthy again.

I really feel that Diabetes type two and it's kissing cousin, Insulin Resistance, can both be turned around through diet, and with exercise kicked in for good measure! The diet doesn't have to be as extreme as mine. Most working people or students can't eat 6-7 times per day and probably don't have to, just eat healthier!

If I could go back and enjoy eating unhealthy again, I would do so without question. But, I can't!

Regards, Bob

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    dyara155 (10-08-2021)
    Old 10-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
    pilly2
    (female)

pilly2 HB User

Hi there. Actually from my experience your A1c tells the story. So its not a horrid number but its not good either. Like the other person said youve got to control it by diet, exercise. And maybe even supplements. I know I got frustrated with it. Its a personal journey and struggles to gain back control. You are on the right track. Food choices are your number 1 beast youve got to conquer. You can do this.
    Ive learned how to make chaffles which takes the place of bread for me. Finally ate a sandwich a couple years ago after I found out about them. Just use your search engine for the chaffle. Its simple fast and stores well. I also have hypothyroidism . When i decided not to let the doctors mess around with me on how much to medicate me. I did a ton of research. The amino acids have really helped me with cravings subsiding and excisive sweating. I take L -Tyrosine, L Phenyalamine along with N Acetylcysteine also known as NAC.

Not only was I successfully able to stop my thyroid meds my blood sugar stays between 95 and 110. No more excessive sweat, mu,ti trips at night to the bathroom or mood swings. So, you many want to look into these. Who knows it may help. I wish i had known about the amino acids before all my struggle. But, they play a big part in hormone conversion for the thyroid. And its all connected. I sleep a lot better at night too. I used to get up at least 5 times a night even on low carb and controlled food intake. Somewhere in my experience I have come to learn what helps me. Its taken a lot of research. But I am doing very well. Good luck with your journey.

Remember, take initiative to research instead of asking questions when you can use a search engine. Im saying asking a lot of questions will not give you a full understanding. Its like studying for an exam. And I found this out the hard way. You will discover you will understand better and one link will lead to another. If you are the kind of person that is a DIY person. I am. Many arent. Btw: i have never ran across anyone that connected the dots for thyroid, blood glucose with amino acids. I learned the difficult way. But now you know. 😊

The Following User Says Thank You to pilly2 For This Useful Post:
    dyara155 (10-08-2021)
    Old 10-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #7
    dyara155
    (male)

dyara155 HB User

It seems (based on my research and please pull me up if I am wrong) that unfortunately for some, genetics is a too strong of a force for some and will really result in Type 2 Diabetes regardless of how much they exercise or what they do. For the rest, whether a T2 Diabetic, prediabetic or someone with normal sugar levels, diet and exercise are extremely important in helping to prevent T2 Diabetes.

If someone had T2 Diabetes and they were able to get their sugar levels to a normal level by exercising and eating healthy whilst maintaining a healthy body weight range. On the other side of the coin, a completely normal person who generally eats healthy, exercises and is within the healthy body weight range. If both of these people went on a holiday and had no choice but to eat a McDonalds Big Mac Meal, would the former Diabetic get a bigger sugar rise than the healthy person? In other words, would that meal alone put them back into the Diabetic range or would they need to go back to their previously unhealthy lifestyle for the T2 Diabetes to creep back up? I don't plan to return to my old ways, but just want to understand this condition better and secondly, be realistic - If I am away on a holiday and have no choice other than to eat something unhealthy or starve, I may need to eat unhealthy for a day or two before returning to eating healthy and exercising again. What long-term impact would this have on my blood sugar levels?

These were my results:

Glucose Fasting: 5.8 mmol/L (3.6 6). On the test, it says 3.6 6 is NORMAL.

Insulin Fasting (Abbott Architect Method): 8 mU/L (0-20). Apparently this is NORMAL too.

HbA1C (IFCC): 40 mmol / mol ( 20-38)
    HbA1C (NGSP): 5.8% (4.0-5.6)

Here it seems as though I am SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMAL. Is 5.8mmol/L a terrible score to have?

It seems as though in my country a HbA1C score of 5.8% is indicative that I have pre-diabetes. However, I was looking on the internet and it seems that a British scientific organisation (Viapath) claims that a HbA1c range of 4.0-5.9 is normal and not indicative of prediabetes. Regardless, my score is very close to this and it is concerning nevertheless but it isn't extremely bad either.

Viapath also claims that for Diabetics a good score is 6.5-7.5. Can I respectfully ask why isn't it lower than 6.5? Or is this the score that they recommend for Type 1 Diabetics.

Thank you for allowing me to learn more about this condition. God bless and I hope you are all doing well.

Reply Reply

« type 2 | - »