It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Low blood sugar..does it always have 2 be diabetes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
    PinkBanana

PinkBanana HB User
    Low blood sugar..does it always have 2 be diabetes?

I'm not sure what's going on..I'm going from board to board trying to get more answers..
    I have tons of allergy problems, asthma, skin problems & some kind of hormonal imbalance. I've been anemic on and off(iron deficiency), and I think I have somewhat of a compromised immune system(i'm sick much of the year). I've been on prednisone twice this past year, take Advair 250/50, Flonase(both are inhaled steroids), Clarinex, Yasmin & Albuterol &/or Xopenex as needed. (Just to give you a little background). I'm 17.
    Back about two years ago I had something strange happen at work. I was working the register and all of a sudden I started to feel really weak and sickish, nauseated, hot & sweaty and very dizzy. I couldn't even stand up..I tried 2 sit down and I fell back, and half passed out cept I hit my head kinda hard which jolted me back. About 20 mins later I was fine again.
    After that, every time I got really hungry..I got really sick like that. As much as I was sick and didn't feel like eating, I knew that once I ate, I'd feel better so I would..and within 20 mins of eating, I'd feel normal again just about.
    It happens when I go without food for about 5 or more hours. I thought it meant I was anemic, then I was told it was my asthma medication and not 2 have an empty stomach, then I was told it could be hypoglycemia. Haven't seen the doctor about it cuz..ya know its like..not an everyday occurence, I try 2 keep food in my stomach but sometimes it just happens that I can't eat for a few hours. I did ask his nurse and she said it was from my asthma medicatoin(inhaled steroids).
    When I was on prednisone the last time, I couldn't eat, it upset my stomach and it was like a 5 day long episode.
    Are my blood sugars just dropping naturally when I don't eat?
    Or could it be diabetes?
    I do have a family history of it.
    What can I do 2 prevent this from happening?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User
    Re: Low blood sugar..does it always have 2 be diabetes?

It could be a lot of things but I would seriously look into the asthma meds. Hypoglycemia is a chronic condition which means that it doesn't go away. The only thing you can do is control the condition. This also means that it isnt sporadic. Most hypoglycemics will notice it happen anytime they go too long between meals or depending on what their meals pertain of.

I would to in and let the Dr know what is going on. Diabetes and asthma are two things that need to be followed so you would need to see him/her about your asthma anyway. I would get a urinalysis and a hormonal workup done. Hormone imbalances can also make you feel strange. Good luck

Old 03-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
    playisfun

playisfun HB User
    Re: Low blood sugar..does it always have 2 be diabetes?

I have a history of asthma, Upper resp infections, diabetes and skin problems. Prednisone is evil and does horrible things to you as I'm sure you've figured out. Including increases your blood sugar and messes up your hormones. I have gone to a chiropractor regulary for 4.5 years and I have not had any asthmatic symtpoms, URIs for YEARS. I really encourage you to shop around and try chiropractic. If you tell me where you are, I'll ask my guy if he knows anyone in your area. Also, I have been taking garlic--one clove or three pills-- at night and my skin is much clearer. I also rub neosporin on my blemishes. I really encourage the chiropractor. If your asthma subsides, you can burn the steroids which in turn will go easier on the sugars, etc.... Hope this helps. Much luck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PinkBanana
    I'm not sure what's going on..I'm going from board to board trying to get more answers..
    I have tons of allergy problems, asthma, skin problems & some kind of hormonal imbalance. I've been anemic on and off(iron deficiency), and I think I have somewhat of a compromised immune system(i'm sick much of the year). I've been on prednisone twice this past year, take Advair 250/50, Flonase(both are inhaled steroids), Clarinex, Yasmin & Albuterol &/or Xopenex as needed. (Just to give you a little background). I'm 17.
    Back about two years ago I had something strange happen at work. I was working the register and all of a sudden I started to feel really weak and sickish, nauseated, hot & sweaty and very dizzy. I couldn't even stand up..I tried 2 sit down and I fell back, and half passed out cept I hit my head kinda hard which jolted me back. About 20 mins later I was fine again.
    After that, every time I got really hungry..I got really sick like that. As much as I was sick and didn't feel like eating, I knew that once I ate, I'd feel better so I would..and within 20 mins of eating, I'd feel normal again just about.
    It happens when I go without food for about 5 or more hours. I thought it meant I was anemic, then I was told it was my asthma medication and not 2 have an empty stomach, then I was told it could be hypoglycemia. Haven't seen the doctor about it cuz..ya know its like..not an everyday occurence, I try 2 keep food in my stomach but sometimes it just happens that I can't eat for a few hours. I did ask his nurse and she said it was from my asthma medicatoin(inhaled steroids).
    When I was on prednisone the last time, I couldn't eat, it upset my stomach and it was like a 5 day long episode.
    Are my blood sugars just dropping naturally when I don't eat?
    Or could it be diabetes?
    I do have a family history of it.
    What can I do 2 prevent this from happening?

Closed Thread