It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• how many carb should a diabetic have per day

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Question how many carb should a diabetic have per day

Can somebody on this board please answer. I sat my dietician in Jan.04 and she suggested that I could have 150 carbs per day. However, from reading this board, it seems it should be much lower. I have changed my diet to include 5 servings of fruits and veggies. I eat fish 3x week and baked chicken breast (skinless) 2x a week. My problem is this.
    1. My a1c is 7.2 (I don't understand why, I don't eat sugar or white refined starches)
    2. I eat healthy and I eat according to portion sizes guideline by the USDA.
    3. I exercise every single day by walking 4 miles a day including weekends.
    I think i'm confused because on a respectable website, it states glucose levels should be not under 70 and not over 170. But on this board everyone seems to say 70/90 is normal. Please help me understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: how many carb should a diabetic have per day

eeek - see below

Last edited by modert; 04-11-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Its really different for every person, but this is a formula that works:

1. Determine your basal metabolic rate. This is ESSENTIAL in determining proper caloric intake for YOUR size body. (Anyone that tells you how many calories or carbs your should eat without knowing your height, weight, and age, doesn't know what they are talking about!) You can do a google search for "Basal Metabolic Rate" or "BMR" to find a good calculator. The caluclator will typically inidicate how many calories you can consume to maintain your weight. If you are trying to lose, reduce the calories by 20%.

2. Calculate your calories into carbs, proetin and fat. You should be able to eat 50% of your calories in carbs. For protein/fat you could do either 25/25 or 30/20, whatever you prefer. Some people prefer to do fewer carbs, but I recommend trying 50% first and then tweak based on your results.

3. Calculate your carb calories into carb grams. 1 carb gram equals 4 calories, so you need to divide your carb calories by 4 to determine how many carb grams you can eat.

EXAMPLE:
    BMR calculates that you can eat 2000 calories per day.
    50% of calories can be carbs = 1000 carb calories per day.
    1000 carb calories = 250 carb grams per day.

Using this formula you will find that all veggies are not alike. For example peas and corn with use up lots of your carb grams but string beans or broccoli will allow you to eat much more. You really need to read labels and I find that planning my meals ahead of time really makes life easier.

You will also need to figure out for yourself what foods make your blood sugar rise and which ones don't. I had some surprises there. For some reason I can eat an apple with no problem (doesn't effect my sugar levels AT ALL) but when I eat carrots my sugar goes much higher (I am referring to 2 hours after the start of my meal).

Old 04-13-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank you so much, i've been diabetic since 1992. I've never had anyone explain this to me. All I ever knew is I couldn't eat diets high in sugar or fats. Gee, I just learned that I had to count carbs. I think my old dr thought i was more knowledgeable than i was. So again, thank you Idi for the info and I will check my bmr.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:11 AM   #5
    arubagal

arubagal HB User

I don't imagine you can get your A1C down until you get your carbs down.
    The above formula that was posted would put me in the hospital in a single day!!
    I would count up the sugar in your 5 servings of fruit a day.
    You are probably giving yourself a sugar high every time you have fruit.
    TEST TEST TEST...see if the fruit is your problem.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #6
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I agree about the fruit. Check the glycemic index to see which fruits and veges are best to have.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:44 AM   #7
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arubagal
    I don't imagine you can get your A1C down until you get your carbs down.
    The above formula that was posted would put me in the hospital in a single day!!
    I would count up the sugar in your 5 servings of fruit a day.
    You are probably giving yourself a sugar high every time you have fruit.
    TEST TEST TEST...see if the fruit is your problem.
    Just curious why the formula I posted would land you in the hospital? I hope I was clear that the calories and carbs must first be calculated based on the basal metoblic rate. I am certainly not suggesting that everyone eat 2000 calories or 250 carb grams per day.

I am suggesting that using the 50% formula if you are eating 1300 calories per day, 750 of thos calories should be carbs (good carbs) which converts to 188 carb grams per day, which is about 38 carb grams spread out over each of 5 meals. Using a 45% formula 585 of those calories should be carbs (good carbs) which converts to 146 carb grams per day, which is about 29-30 carb grams spread out over each of 5 meals. These are not high numbers.

Some people do better with 40% or 45% carbs, but you have to look at the other side of this formula. If you reduce your carbs too much, you increase your protein and/or fat. And that isn't good for you either. Increasing your protein can cause a strain on your kidney and liver function. And protein usually goes hand in hand with fat (meat, cheese, etc). Its really all about balance.

I'm not sure counting sugar is going to be more beneficial than counting carbs. Everyone has different responses to different foods. but generally speaking, fruit can be tricky. One average size apple = 35 carb grams. It has one of lowest glycemic indexes of any fruit. You may find that the same number of carb grams in grapes, bananas, or pineapple will send your bs through the roof, and the apple won't. Everyone has to test what foods work well for them.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
    Mommyof4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Never have I seen a post where the math was exposed so beautifully!! I totally agree with all you had to say in your post Jdimassimo. You HAVE to do the math if you ever expect to get things under control. It is important to point out that fruits and veggies are a combined food group. You can get your nutrients from complex veggies and never touch fruits if that is what you like. You have to tweak it to fit your life.

Using your BMR, you get a starting point. I would also suggest keeping a food diary when you begin. It will help to figure out what foods don't agree with your diabetes. I can't drink milk where others have no problems with it. Carb counting and diabetes control is HIGHLY individual

Last edited by Mommyof4; 04-28-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
    IceMan50
    Inactive

IceMan50 HB User

I'm a T2 on insulin using diet and exercise to control my dx. My last A1c was 5.0 last week.

This is what I ate today.

BREAKFAST -- 2 salami n' cheese rollups, 2 tbsp cream cheese, 5 strawberries w/ splenda. [6 carbs][8uH][2hr pp = 74/4.1]

LUNCH -- 1/4 pound cheddar melt Hburg patti, 1 can green beans, 1 cup romain salad w/ cheese n' tomato, 1K island. [12 carbs][8uH][2hr pp = 82/4.5]

SUPPER -- 1/2 big ribeye, 1 can green beans, 1/2 can asparagas, 1/4 cup blueberries. [14 carbs][8uH][2hr pp = 81/4.5]

Last edited by IceMan50; 04-28-2004 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 PM   #10
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

My typical day--Type 2 on diet and exercise and A1c of 5.5

Breakfast--oatbran with flaxseed or Kashi Heart-to-Heart cereal with 1/4 banana or strawberries. Coffee. 13 gm carbs

Lunch--some kind of meat, maybe chicken with lettuce and mayonaise or ham and cheese on a slice of whole wheat bread folded over, 1/2 beer. 18 gm carbs

Snack--1/2 slice cinnamon toast made with Splenda. Coffee. 6 gm carbs

Dinner--chicken, fish, beef or pork, green vegetable (fresh--broccoli, asparagas or green beans) green salad with vinegar and oil. Very few carbs

Snack--low carb ice cream or sugar-free frozen fruit bar. 5 gm carbs

I try to have 1/2 apple and a handfull of almonds during the day.

Last edited by JacquelineL; 04-28-2004 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #11
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Iceman, have you considered switching from canned veggies to fresh or frozen? Canned typically has WAY TOO MUCH sodium and is packed with preservatives. In comparison frozen may taste bland at first, but after a while you get used to it and will never want to turn back. Of course fresh is always the best choice, but the convenience is what we are all after

You obviously have your bs under control, but it seems that you are on an Atkins-type low-carb plan. I personally don't think its a good idea to go so low in carbs because that means you are too high on protein, and in your case, sodium. That combination (high protein/sodium) is placing your kidneys at risk and can also cause hypertension.

Also, for me, I cannot go so low with my blood sugar levels or I get very sick with severe hypoglycemic symptoms. I need to keep my bs above 90 and am typically ranging from 90-120 following the plan I posted. I have also lost 31 lbs in 12 weeks and I never feel like I am dieting.

I was just diagnosed in Feb, so I still need to see what my A1C will be - I get tested again at the end of May. It was 8.1 when I was first diagnosed, but I am guessing that it has come down because I test my bs often and rarely go above 120. (only occassionally, because I am still learning what foods effect me). I think 3 or 4 times in the past 3 months I was in the 140s 2 hours pp, but it came back down quickly (within the following hour).

Old 04-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #12
    IceMan50
    Inactive

IceMan50 HB User

I live in a remote Eskimo whaling village high above the arctic circle on the west coast of Alaska. No roads to Pt. Hope...access by air. I can't afford the fresh vegetables that do make it to the store unfrozen and ruined...a honey dew melon runs about $16. Frozen food is never fresh. I shop Costco in Anchorage so it's canned for me. I'm currently considering a relocation to Anchorage where access, quality and price of fresh and/or frozen produce would be much better.

I was eating the standard ADA high carb low fat diet and having only very limited success with my control. Then I read a book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution [ website removed ] and it got me to thinking. After consulting with my doc, dietician and clinician I decided to give the Bernstein way a three month trial. I just had my three month labs, complete with kidney function test, and they were improved across the board from the ones three months before. I'm also a hep C patient and my liver function numbers were even lower. I have lost 35 pounds since November

This is what works for me. We all carry the battle to this dx in our own way. I do know one thing for sure...I'm not alone in my method of control. There are many very well controlled diabetics following lower carb solutions to controlling their dx. I would never presume to tell anyone else what to do...but I can share what has worked for me.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-01-2004 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I see why you are eating canned vegetables. You are lucky to have a Costco near you. I bought Dr Berstein's book shortly after I was diagnosed last year and decided I would try a low carb diet. Not as low as you though, I try to eat between 15-20 gm carbs per meal. This has also lowered my cholesterol along with my blood sugar. It seems like the most sensible approach to me and it is working.

I now understand your user name and also your reference to the village.

Last edited by JacquelineL; 04-30-2004 at 12:06 AM.

Old 04-30-2004, 04:59 AM   #14
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Iceman, I hope you didn't think I was telling you what to do... I thought we were just having a discussion about what types of diets work for control. It is my personal opinion that low-carb is unhealthy and has long-term effects on vital organs and body chemistry. But anyone that is under a doctor's care and being monitored closely is less likely to have problems or can modify their diet before problems occur.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 AM   #15
    IceMan50
    Inactive

IceMan50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdimassimo
    Iceman, I hope you didn't think I was telling you what to do... I thought we were just having a discussion about what types of diets work for control. It is my personal opinion that low-carb is unhealthy and has long-term effects on vital organs and body chemistry. But anyone that is under a doctor's care and being monitored closely is less likely to have problems or can modify their diet before problems occur.
    jdimassimo...No, no, no...I didn't mean to imply that you were telling me what to do...but I am constantly aware that I am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind...I'm just a practicing diabetic and so I always try to make it clear that I am not giving advice or advocating my control regimen for anyone else...just trying to share my experience, strength, and hope....so please forgive me if I gave you the wrong impression. I never feel the need to defend what I'm doing and sorta think it shouldn't really matter to anyone but me...is that too selfish...

For sake of the discussion here is a link to some recent research sponsored by the mayo clinic. I found it extremely interesting.

[url]http://http://www.mayo.***/proceedings/2004/jan/7901r3.pdf[/url]

I maintain a personal control site too...

[ personal website removed ]

Peace....

Last edited by moderator2; 05-01-2004 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Do not post personal websites. Please review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Closed Thread