It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• slim fast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
    soups

soups HB User
    slim fast

Hello everyone..I have a question for you. My sister in law has been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is a vegetarian.She is overweight,has never exercised and since the doctor told her she needs to lose weight she has decided on her own to drink slimfast 2-3 times a day. She says it is perfectly alright to do so but I am worried that she is not taking care of herself and isnt following Dr's orders. She takes oral meds to treat her diabetes. She also refuses to consult a diatician to work on a healthy diet that will work around her vegetarianism. I am thinking she is living on coffee and slim fast..so my question after all this is what is the scoop on slim fast and diabetes? thanks for the info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 02:56 AM   #2
    ShawnieShawn

ShawnieShawn HB User
    Re: slim fast

Slim Fast and Diabetes......A Big No No!!!

I'm type one and I used to drink slim fast to help lose weight. Yeah, I did shed a few pounds but at a far worse cost. Slim Fast has a lot of ingredients that trigger high BG's. Strangely I've noticed and my doctor has also told me that diabetics tend to lose weight when their BG's are out of order. So is it really worth it to lose the weight but be extremely sick

Don't fear though, there is help
    I now drink Glucerna Weight Loss shakes, it's specifically made for Diabetics. These shakes are a bit different...they're a nutritious meal replacement shake that also suggest you have maybe a piece of fruit or a small salad to complement it. Slim Fast I sometimes felt like I needed another one to make me full. Glucerna also has little sample meals on the box to help make the most of it. Since you said your sister in law has been living off of just the Slim Fast, that menu might help her enhance the shake where she's actually getting a decent meal.

SF has few flavors and they often tasted a little chalky, I would feel like I had to brush my teeth afterwards.
    Glucerna has a nice amount of flavors that taste really good, no chalk!

SF also had the effect of gas and bowel movements, which became embarassing. It's funny that if you speak to someone else on slim fast and you accidently let one go and say its the SF they'll say,
    "I know what you mean, I have the same problem"

Lastly, with Glucerna my BG's now have not been sacrificed in losing weight.
    A VERY GOOD THING!

Overall Glucerna is a good way to lose weight and be healthy.
    Good Luck

If you try it let me know how things go.
    Oh be careful when purchasing. Glucerna also make nutritional shakes. There a bit lighter than the Glucerna Weight Loss Shakes which are a bit thicker (of course because it's supposed to be like a meal in a can) but it's not thick where you think you're drinking oatmeal or something If the purpose is to lose weight the get the Weight loss shake, if the purpose is to just have like a snack or something then get the regular Glucerna.
    Slim Fast now offers a Low Carb SF but it is really watered down, like most Low Carb Shakes, so you end up feeling like you need to eat a real meal to go with it. Glucerna's Wt Lss Shakes have the carb content of an average meal.

Oh just another pointer, If you register with Glucerna.com they send you an informative monthly newletter, yearly calendar, and at least 2-3 coupons a month. They also help you create sample weekly meals that you can print out and work with.

Shawnie

Closed Thread