It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Lightheadedess After Eating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2004, 06:06 AM   #1
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
    Question Lightheadedess After Eating

I am fine in the morning as long as I don't eat. Once I do eat I become lightheaded.
    Can anyone offer an idea what is causing this?
    Thanks

Last edited by don444; 06-30-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User
    Re: Lightheadedess After Eating

How long after you eat before the symptoms occur? And what is a typical meal like for you?

Last edited by modert; 06-30-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I take a thyroid med called Synthroid, (must be taken on an empty stomach), first thing in the AM and then I don't eat for about 2-4 hours. Breakfast can be only oatmeal, or bacon, eggs, homefries and toast. I drink I cup of decaf. No juice.
    Before I eat I feel fine, but about 30 minutes after I eat the lightneadedness sets in.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
    modert
    Inactive
    (female)

modert HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donsabi
    I take a thyroid med called Synthroid, (must be taken on an empty stomach), first thing in the AM and then I don't eat for about 2-4 hours. Breakfast can be only oatmeal, or bacon, eggs, homefries and toast. I drink I cup of decaf. No juice.
    Before I eat I feel fine, but about 30 minutes after I eat the lightneadedness sets in.
    Don, Synthroid needs to be taken on an empty stomach, but you only need to wait 1 hour before eating food. You really should not be going all morning without food. I am not sure why you are restricting your breakfast to ONLY the foods you listed. It can't be because of synthroid (I have been taking synthroid for 14 years and there has never been a specific food restriction)

The fact that your symptoms are occurring 30 minutes after you eat certainly indicates it is in response to your meal. This could mean several things however... It could mean that you are experiencing a food allergy or sensitivity to one or several ingredients in your breakfast. On the other hand, it could mean that your body is having a reaction to your eating a meal (any meal), in other words some sort of metabolic disorder.

There are 2 specific medical conditions that could be causing your symptoms. Postprandial Hypotension is a sudden drop in blood pressure that occurs shortly after a meal. This is extremely rare but can be caused by a variety of illnesses. It is more common in elderly people. If you can, yo should test your BP when your symtoms occur.

Another more common condition is Reactive Hypoglycemia, a severe drop in blood glucose levels because your body outputs too much insulin in response to the food you eat. It is unusual (although possible) that your reactions would occur so soon after your meal, normally with this condition symptoms occur between 1.5 - 4 hours after a meal. I can provide you with more info on this if you suspect it is your problem.

There are a few things you can do to identify the cause of the problem. First of all, go to your doctor and have some blood tests done. Rule out the obvious, such as diabetes, liver or kidney problems (which all effect how you metabolize food). If all comes back fine, then you need to look at the food you eat AND when you eat it. Try eating your breakfast earlier in the morning (1 hour after your synthroid) but don't eat what you always eat... instead try some cottage cheese with fruit and skip the decaf coffee. This will help you rule out an allergy to wheat or eggs or other foods you have been eating.

Oh - and I forgot to ask... Does this only happen after breakfast? Or is it after every meal?

Last edited by modert; 06-30-2004 at 08:54 PM.

Old 07-02-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
    don444
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dimassimo,
    Thanks for your reply. I had been waiting too long to eat because of my Synthroid. Blood tests are normal. BP remains about the same after eating. I am 61. I am trying to eliminate foods as you suggested. The lightheadedness is most evident in the morning after fasting overnight and usually lasts all day. The only medication I take in the AM is Synthroid.

Closed Thread