It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Difficulty breathing ALL NIGHT after consuming too many carbs. Anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Difficulty breathing ALL NIGHT after consuming too many carbs. Anyone else?

For years, if I would consume a small amount of carbs after 6pm, I would have difficulty breathing all night long, nocturnal high blood pressure and palpitations.

Recently, if I consume too many carbs during the day time, I now have difficulty breathing all night long, especially if I lie on my back or my right side and increased high blood pressure and palpitations.

I am beginning to believe that I suffer from Insulin Resistance, and have started a frequent, low carb diet today.

I would like to know if anyone else, with diagnosed Insulin Resistance, or Diabetes, has encountered the same problems with carbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Difficulty breathing ALL NIGHT after consuming too many carbs. Anyone else?

Beerzoids,
    I have never heard of anyone with either diabetes or insulin resistance having trouble breathing after consuming carbs. I'm wondering if you might have esophageul reflux disease, which can sometimes cause the symptoms you describe. If not that, there may be some other explanation. You may, in fact, be insulin resistant, but even if you are, I would pursue another answer to explain your symptoms.

Ruth

Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamQKitty
    Beerzoids,
    I have never heard of anyone with either diabetes or insulin resistance having trouble breathing after consuming carbs.
    It's not just a problem with breathing, but with high blood pressure and palpitations. If I want my blood pressure to get up to 180/120, during the late evening, all I have to do is eat a food heavy in carbs.

Quote:
    I'm wondering if you might have esophageul reflux disease, which can sometimes cause the symptoms you describe. If not that, there may be some other explanation.
    You are probably correct that another disease factors into my breathing problems. I've also got serious heart disease and chemical sensitivities. Since I have cut down my carbohydrate intake, about two months ago, I have seen improvements in my symptoms.

Today is the third day of going on an "insulin resistant" diet, which further curtails carb intake, and intails eating more frequently, with smaller portions. It's too early to say the benefits, to me, from this diet, but so far so good.

Quote:
    You may, in fact, be insulin resistant, but even if you are, I would pursue another answer to explain your symptoms.

Ruth
    I didn't bring up my other health problems, because I want to find out if those who were "insulin resistant" or diabetic, also had breathing problems as a result of too much carb intake, especially at night; in order to get some tips on different ways of dealing with this problem. The meds, that I am on, also have an effect on the metabolism of carbs, so my problems get quite complex and confusing.

When I read that signs of insulin resistance were high blood pressure and high triglycerides, and that diabetics tended to be the only group to suffer from nocturnal hypertension, I started to wonder if I might not be having a problem with insulin resistance. I think that I am, but need to learn more about the problem.

Thanks for your response!

Old 12-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Beerzoids,
    Okay, maybe the high blood pressure could conceivably be caused by insulin resistance, but really, the breathing problems are unlikely to be related, and I really think they are of some concern. Have you told your doctor about these symptoms?

Ruth

Old 12-14-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamQKitty
    Beerzoids,
    Okay, maybe the high blood pressure could conceivably be caused by insulin resistance, but really, the breathing problems are unlikely to be related, and I really think they are of some concern.
    You may be right. It might not be insulin resistant. I need to do some more research. At least thinking that I am insulin resistance has helped, because I have cut down my carbs, and also switched to higher fiber carbs, like 100% whole wheat, and switched to "reduced carb, higher fiber" pasta, and reduced the size of my portions, and this has improved my breathing, hypertension and palpitation problems.

I've got a complex combination of diseases, including advanced heart disease, asthma, allergies and chemical sensitivities. That probably makes it more difficult to diagnose my disease cause and effects.

Quote:
    Have you told your doctor about these symptoms?

Ruth
    Doctors can only do so much, depending upon how much time they have to spend with each patient, their level of knowledge, and their ability to solve problems. Each patient is different and their health is effected by diet, environment, heredity, and the complex effects of multiple meds.

I have discussed this with my doctor and he has noted it on my chart. I've got a great doctor, but I realize that he, just like all doctors, was just a potential car mechanic or baker, who chose to be a doctor instead.

I wanted to know if my symptoms were normally related to insulin resistance and I am finding out that they are not.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Machaon; 12-14-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Hi beer, sometimes if i go over 180 carbs i have difficulty breathing. I have hpb and diabetes (among other ailments). I think the breathing difficulty though is from my bp meds. Im not sure though. I try to keep my carbs at 150 per day but its hard to do sometimes.

Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Hi beer, sometimes if i go over 180 carbs i have difficulty breathing. I have hpb and diabetes (among other ailments). I think the breathing difficulty though is from my bp meds. Im not sure though. I try to keep my carbs at 150 per day but its hard to do sometimes.
    Do you get more breathing problems at night?

What bp meds are you on?

Have you ever compared your blood pressure readings during the evening to your readings during the daytime? I have read that, most of the time, those with nocturnal hypertension, like me, also have diabetes.

I don't have diabetes, but I've had problems with how my body handles sugar for decades. When younger I couldn't eat a doughnut in the morning or I would have brain fog, fatigue and feel like chit for hours. I am beginning to believe that it might have something to do with the way my body handles insulin.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Beer, yes i mostly have the palps and breathing difficulty at nite. I am pretty sure it is my bp meds. I am taking zestoretic(lisinopril/hctz) verapamil, and ecotrin.

My cardio just (today) changed it to lisinopril, lasix, asprin 81mgsand verapamil. But i have breathing difficultis now. Today i ate 245 carbs and i can hardly breath right now. Usually i never go over 150-180 in carbs, but today was quite hectic. I will just suffer tonite and do better planning tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:40 AM   #9
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Beer, yes i mostly have the palps and breathing difficulty at nite. I am pretty sure it is my bp meds. I am taking zestoretic(lisinopril/hctz) verapamil, and ecotrin.

My cardio just (today) changed it to lisinopril, lasix, asprin 81mgsand verapamil. But i have breathing difficultis now. Today i ate 245 carbs and i can hardly breath right now. Usually i never go over 150-180 in carbs, but today was quite hectic. I will just suffer tonite and do better planning tomorrow.
    I have been trying to learn more about the complex relationship between the metabolism of carbs, heart meds that effect the metabolism of carbs, circadian rhythm, nocturnal hypertension, allergies and insulin resistance. These things are all interrelated in one way or another.

Have you ever tried wearing a surgical mask when you have difficulties breathing? I have asthma, but when I have problems breathing because of carbs, my asthma meds do not work, but a mask does. Figure that one out!

I also take Verapamil, 80mg, 3 times a per day. and it is my most effect BP med. But, if I take my verapamil within two hours of my other meds, or if I eat or drink a product with calcium (milk, cheese, etc.) within two hours before or after my verapamil, I will get increased palpitations and breathing difficulties that may last more than one day.

Are you on the once a day, slow release verapamil?

Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Yes, i take one 240mg verapamil (my cardio increased to 360). I now am suppose to take 240 in the am & 120 in the pm. However, verapamil doesn't work well for me and im afraid to increase the dosage. I also take lasix 20mgs.

I think alot of my breathing problems is due to bp meds side effects (minor) and especially if i eat over my allowed carbs. Today my total carbs were 135 whcih isn't bad. I am breathing ok today, plus i walked my regular 3 miles in the cold which helped.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Yes, i take one 240mg verapamil (my cardio increased to 360). I now am suppose to take 240 in the am & 120 in the pm. However, verapamil doesn't work well for me and im afraid to increase the dosage.
    Do you take any other heart meds?

I don't know what to say about your verapamil. Verapamil gives me major problems if I take it too close to my other meds, too close to a vitamin/mineral or too close to a food or drink with calcium. If I took the slow release, once a day Verapamil, I think that I would have strong palpitations, chest pains and problems breathing all day long. But, of course, we are all different, and it might not be doing similar nasty things to you.

If Verapamil doesn't work for you, why not get the doctor to prescribe something else? Why did the doctor prescribe Verapamil for you? It is not the drug of choice for hypertension.

Quote:
    I also take lasix 20mgs.
    That's another nasty med. I take it, but only three times per week, on Monday, Weds and Friday. If I take it more than that it gives me major problems.

Quote:
    I think alot of my breathing problems is due to bp meds side effects (minor) and especially if i eat over my allowed carbs.
    What types of carbs do you eat? Are they high fiber? When I switched to a diet of small portion, high fiber carbs, five times per day, I felt much better.

Quote:
    I am breathing ok today
    Great to hear. Of all my symptoms, I hate the breathing difficulties the most.

Quote:
    , plus i walked my regular 3 miles in the cold which helped.
    If you can walk 3 miles in the cold, that says a lot about you being in good shape. I don't know if I could do 1 mile on a cool day! It also could mean that a lot of your symptoms could be coming from the meds.

How long have you been on the lasix? That could be one of the factors contributing to your carb sensitivity.

Old 12-18-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
    dentalnitemare

dentalnitemare HB User

what is Insulin Resistance my dad is a diabetic and he has alot of breathing problems also,especially at night?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #13
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dentalnitemare
    what is Insulin Resistance my dad is a diabetic and he has alot of breathing problems also,especially at night?
    Here is an excellent post about Insulin Resistance, but it doesn't talk about breathing problems.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1349489&postcount=3

There is a definite link behind how the heart functions and how the body metabolizes carbs and handles insulin.

Does your dad have hypertension? Is it worse at night?

The reason that I started this thread is because I have problems breathing if I consume too many carbs during the day, and my problems get worse if I consume too many carbs during the early evening. I wanted to know if others, who have insulin resistance, or diabetes, suffered from the same problem.

Best of luck and health to both you and your dad.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:24 PM   #14
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Beer, i eat kidney beans, 100% whole wheat breads, all bran cereal, brown rice, any food that list at least 3g of fiber, but mostly beans, and all bran. My goal is to get at least 20 g or more of fiber.

I just started the lasix a couple days ago( but had the script for 2 wks) and was on hctz but it caused my glucose & cholesterol to go out of range. That's why the cardio gave me the lasix. I am also to take 20mg of lisinopril, but haven't started it yet. I was given the verapamil due to heart problems. I also take Quick Nitrate tablets, but only during angina.

Since changing my bp meds(lasix & lisinipril) and cutting carbs back down to 135g daily, im breathing alittle better at nite. No im not really in good shape, at least that's what the cardio says. I do try to walk (even in the winter) 3 miles daily, as long as the sidewalk has no ice . the cold doesn't bother me, just ice or snow. I live in upstate NY where winter can be brutal.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Beer, i eat kidney beans, 100% whole wheat breads, all bran cereal, brown rice, any food that list at least 3g of fiber, but mostly beans, and all bran. My goal is to get at least 20 g or more of fiber.
    I've just recently switched over to a diet like yours, since I've determined that I have insulin resistance.

I've found two cereals that are very high in fiber and taste great. One is the Kashi "Golean", which has total carbs of 30g, 10g of fiber, 85mg sodium, 480mg potassium, 6g sugar, 1g fat and 13g of protein per 1 cup of cereal.

My favorite is an "organic" cereal called Barbara's GrainShop which as total carbs of 36g, 12g of fiber, 165mg sodium, 240mg potassium, 7.5g sugar, 1.5g fat, and 4.5g of protein per cup.

Quote:
    Since changing my bp meds(lasix & lisinipril) and cutting carbs back down to 135g daily, im breathing alittle better at nite.
    Last week I tried some fresh broccoli and squash with my salad and had problems breathing for hours. I've got asthma, and heart disease, so some times I can't tell the cause of my breathing problems. But this time, I know it is asthma and I am allergic to either the veggies or the chemicals on them. I've cut out those two fresh veggies and I am breathing fine.

Do you think that the switch in your meds improved your breathing problems, or was it the reduction in your carb intake? Or both?

Closed Thread