It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• juvenile diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User
    juvenile diabetes

My daughter is 21 months old. I'm making an appt. with the doctor this week but wondered if anyone may have some insights.

I listed some of my other concerns about her on the cystic fibrosis board you can read them under my post titled: Toddler with chronic condition.

I wanted to ask here though about the thirst related to diabetes. She drinks about 2-3 quarts of fluid (mostly water and about 16 oz of rice milk) everyday. This seems excessive to me (for a toddler) but I'm not sure. She also urinates a lot (about 5 thoroughly soaked diapers everyday).

She is very small for her age (below the 3rd percentile). She also eats incredible amounts of food until her belly is tight (her belly is tight and round to begin with).

Anyway, I'd appreciate whatever you have to offer. I am a concerned mom but not paranoid. I have 5 children and we do not visit the doctor very often. I feel however that I probably should have taken her in months ago but kept explaining it away . She's developmentally right on target and even a little advanced so it was easy to overlook things.

Thanks for any help!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
    Linda1629
    (female)

Linda1629 HB User
    Re: juvenile diabetes

That does sound like a lot of liquid for a toddler but then, it's been quite awhile since I've had a toddler around the house. I did a quick search on ****** but couldn't really find a good answer to your question but I did want to respond and at least post a few things that you can look for. Some signs of diabetes are:

frequent urination
    excessive thirst
    extreme hunger
    unusual weight loss
    increased fatigue
    irritability
    blurry vision

I'm sure it's harder to pinpoint these symptoms in a toddler but if the thirst and urination seem excessive to you then have her checked out as soon as possible. If it is diabetes and isn't treated then your child could end up in ketoacidosis which is a potentially fatal condition. If your child starts vomiting or complaining of stomach pains then bring her in ASAP, to the emergency room. If it's just the urination and thirst, along with the hunger, that you are noticing then just bring her in as soon as possible. You never know, it could be nothing but better to have it checked out. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #3
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! Thanks so much for replying! I made an appt. for her on the 28th. I was curious if she were diabetic if it would show up on the glucose part of urine strips.

My primary concern is her seeming inability to gain weight well. As an infant she would gain a pound and lose half of it (while breast feeding normally and not appearing to be ill or irritable in anyway). She is now about 19 pounds (birth weight was 8lbs. 8oz.) at 21 months. She is not just tiny but appears mildly undernourished (again she eats well and is developmentally doing great).

There are a number of tests I will be requesting but most importantly I want to rule out diabetes, cystic fibrosis and celiac disease. Of course I'm hoping it's just "allergies" as she has a number of food allergies and sensitivities. Like you said I feel it's best to just have it checked out.

Thanks again!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 03-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: juvenile diabetes

Hi Kelly,

Good luck and please let us know how you guys do.

Sharon

Old 03-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
    lil_miss_bad
    (female)

lil_miss_bad HB User

Good luck! You're doing the right thing, having her checked out!

I hope all is well and the tests come up negative, however if it doesn't, remember that diabetes is able to be controlled and those with it can lead a very normal, healthy and long life!

My thoughts are with you and your family!
    LMB

Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
    IMdizzy2

IMdizzy2 HB User

My son is 28 months old and was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. I was having the same suspicions as you, eventhough he is developmentally on target. Frequent urination, voracious appetite, incredible thirst were all there. There had been no weight loss, just no weight gain...my son is tall for his age and skinny anyway. My biggest clue, however was his behavior. He was having the most unbelievable melt downs you could possibly imagine!!

Don't hesitate to get the test done...my husband is a type 1 diabetic so I was already looking for it in our son...but even my husband was in denial. Since we caught my son's diabetes so early he didn't have to go through ketoacidosis, which, I've read is horrible and difficult to recover from...

Best wishes, and I hope your daughter is NOT diabetic!

Last edited by IMdizzy2; 03-12-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement! I will certainly let you know how it goes.

I keep thinking maybe she's going to go through a growth spurt with all the food she's consuming but she just never gains any weight. It all seems so odd and abnormal (she's the youngest of 5 so toddlerhood is not new to me ). She had 7 sausages, a whole apple and half a whole wheat hamburger bun for breakfast on Sunday (she followed it up with 1 1/2 large pancakes for lunch and for dinner an adult-size bowl of potato soup with ham, a biscuit and an apple turnover (she had half a bowl of "seconds" of the soup). That's not including the "snacks" in between her meals. She's only 19 pounds and she eats like this every day; she literally eats more than I do.

I am looking forward to her appointment in two weeks. I believe it will be revealing and if nothing else will bring some peace of mind.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #8
    Linda1629
    (female)

Linda1629 HB User

Have her symptoms changed or worsened any since you started noticing all of this? I'm just a bit concerned that her appointment isn't for another 2 weeks. My daughter went through symptoms for just about a month before she ended up in the ER. Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't recognize the symptoms. If your daughter is diabetic then the food she's eating will just continue to increase her blood sugar. I'm going to suggest that you go to a drugstore or department store and pick up some ketosticks. They are about $12-$15 for a bottle of 30. You can find them with all the low carb items. You just dip them in the urine and if they turn pink or purple then your daughter would need to be seen right away. That would mean she's spilling ketones in her urine and that shouldn't be happening with the food she's eating. She could end up in ketoacidosis. I understand the point of not overreacting and not rushing to the doctor because I'm like that myself. However, in hindsight, I sure wish I had brought my daughter in earlier, it would have saved her a trip to ICU.

I know there are (or used to be) other urine strips that diabetics sometimes used to see if there is sugar in their urine. Maybe someone here could say if they can be purchased over the counter and what they are called. I don't know if that's an item that is readily available or even still available but I do know the ketosticks are. You can get them most places that low-carb items are sold. At least you would know if you should bring your daughter in sooner than the 2 weeks. If you do get the ketosticks and you do detect ketones then don't wait any longer and get her seen immediately. If ketones show up in her urine then they are already in her blood and she'll need medication as soon as possible. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Kelly,

I'm with Linda. If there's any possible way to get her in sooner, you should. The urine testing is a good idea too. As Linda said, they do sell ketone strips for urine (and blood) and urine strips that just test sugar. They do sell them over the counter and I was able to get them very easily at a chain drug store. FYI for anyone reading...you can use these sugar strips to test soda if you go out to eat and don't know if it's really diet your drinking. Works great and it puts my mind at ease because I can't tell just by tasting it. Good luck, Kelly.

Sharon

Old 03-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I thought I'd fill you all in. Our appointment was Monday and went terribly. We sat there for two hours and since I had another appointment told the front desk I would have to leave soon. So they sent the physician's assistant right in.

He didn't have me take her clothes off and never so much as touched her or looked in her ears, nose or throat. They weighed her on an adult slide scale fully clothed with shoes and a full diaper.

He never even gave me the opportunity to tell him why we were there. He simply noted that she is obviously not growing well and he feels it's due to allergies.

There wasn't time to do her labs (said that he would do cbc, metabolic panel, hepatic function, glucose, thyroid, allergies and sweat chloride; I had to request some of these including the glucose and sweat chloride) so they said to come in tomorrow. I went in and the doctor had called in sick and never signed the order for her tests (the nurse said he hadn't even looked at her chart yet).

I requested her labs be done yesterday and they told me to come back today.

I took her in today and they were only going to do allergy testing and lead testing!! I said absolutely not; do the entire blood work-up I am not putting her through this again! I'm not sure if they did or not. I called but they said her chart was being reviewed by the PA and they didn't have access to it to tell me.

I am close to frantic (her pulse oximeter reading was 92 yet no cared to make sure this was accurate and if it was why it was so low).

Anyway, I just wanted to update all of you. I'll let you know how her labs turned out.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 03-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Kelly,

Wow. That really stinks. Is it possible to get a new doctor? They sound horrible! I hope they listened to you and did the tests you asked for, especially the glucose. Definitely let us know when you get the results. If they didn't do those tests, if at all possible, I would look for a new doc. Good luck.

Sharon

Old 03-31-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

sounds like celiac to me.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:03 AM   #13
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I'm strongly leaning towards celiac as well but really feel I need to rule out diabetes (which is not uncommon in people with celiac) and CF.

We had considered removing gluten from her diet first and if that didn't help then take her in. I was concerned however that if it were type 1 diabetes or CF, every day it was left untreated could cause further damage. So, I took her in before altering her diet naively believing the doctor would actually see my point and be of some use.

I have never heard of a doctor that did not check glucose levels and do a sweat chloride for a child that is failure to thrive. If you do a search for "failure to thrive" three primary things come up: CF, diabetes and celiac disease. There are lesser things as well (the blinding obvious of low caloric intake being one of them).

Hopefully they'll have her results in this afternoon or at least be able to tell me which tests were done.

Thank you all for your concern and replies. I've felt rather alone in my concerns. The typical comments being on how healthy she looks (a mother's eye can see things no one else's can). I know without a doubt there is something wrong. "Normal" children do not naturally have belly aches and diarrhea everyday, eat enormous amounts of food, drink 3 quarts of water per day, have purple/red hands, bloated bellies, "snotty" stools, poor growth, frequent wheezing, pneumonia twice in the first year of life, weight loss as an infant, 6-8 thoroughly soaked diapers per day as a toddler, a runny nose since 2 months of age, frequent rashes/eczema and horrid gas.

We will be taking our lab results, normal or not, to a different doctor for evaluation. I feel my current doctor is inept and incompetent.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

the reason why I said celiac, is because im a celiac..sooo..the glutenfree diet as done wonders for me..my life before was a living hell, i had everything, i was very mal-nurioused..this diet is very healthfuly, its all home cooking..i was also on so many meds..and, now i gave them all up..i feel great and, look great too..iv never felt better..with all the symptoms you described, im pretty sure she's a little celiac....you will shortly find out and, everything will be fine..promise

Old 04-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #15
    Kalmar_4_me
    (female)

Kalmar_4_me HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASDGRMama
    My daughter is 21 months old. I'm making an appt. with the doctor this week but wondered if anyone may have some insights.

I listed some of my other concerns about her on the cystic fibrosis board you can read them under my post titled: Toddler with chronic condition.

I wanted to ask here though about the thirst related to diabetes. She drinks about 2-3 quarts of fluid (mostly water and about 16 oz of rice milk) everyday. This seems excessive to me (for a toddler) but I'm not sure. She also urinates a lot (about 5 thoroughly soaked diapers everyday).

She is very small for her age (below the 3rd percentile). She also eats incredible amounts of food until her belly is tight (her belly is tight and round to begin with).

Anyway, I'd appreciate whatever you have to offer. I am a concerned mom but not paranoid. I have 5 children and we do not visit the doctor very often. I feel however that I probably should have taken her in months ago but kept explaining it away . She's developmentally right on target and even a little advanced so it was easy to overlook things.

Thanks for any help!

Love and Prayers, Kelly
    thirst is a symptom of diabetes not a huge one b/c toddlers do drink alot but my younger brother who is almost nine has had juvenile diabetes since he was 18 months old, urinating alot is a symptom also.

Closed Thread