It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• insulin test results - opinions needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User
    insulin test results - opinions needed

Tests from March 2005

Insulin fasting 17 (3-28)
    Insulin 2hour 35 (22-79)

EDIT:
    Glucose fasting: 88 (65-110)
    Glucose 2 hour 72 (65-140)

My doc said the insulin fasting result was somewhat higher than she would like - she advised me to cut out starches/white flour/processed foods as much as possible.

Can anyone give me any input? I'm not too familiar with insulin test results..
    Please, and thank you

Last edited by irys; 04-25-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: insulin test results - opinions needed

Irys,
    Your fasting glucose is right in the normal range, even under the newly tightened standars. Anything from 80-100 is considered completely normal.

Your two-hour was a bit low, but not significantly.

Are you, by any chance, overweight? If so, your doctor may be trying to help you stave off the possible onset of T2 diabetes with her recommendations.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the insulin levels...other than using the C-peptide test to determine if someone is T1 or T2, I've never seen anyone discussing those numbers.

Ruth

Old 04-26-2005, 03:50 AM   #3
    Mark Munday
    Inactive
    (male)

Mark Munday HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irys
    Tests from March 2005

Insulin fasting 17 (3-28)
    Insulin 2hour 35 (22-79)

EDIT:
    Glucose fasting: 88 (65-110)
    Glucose 2 hour 72 (65-140)

My doc said the insulin fasting result was somewhat higher than she would like - she advised me to cut out starches/white flour/processed foods as much as possible.

Can anyone give me any input? I'm not too familiar with insulin test results..
    Please, and thank you

My understanding is that elevated insulin levels can indicate insulin resistance, even before blood sugar levels start rising. Here is something I found on it :

Quote:
    .... the best practical measure of insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia may be fasting and two-hour postprandial serum insulin values following a 75-gram glucose challenge. Elevations above 15 mcIU/mL (fasting) and/or 50 mcIU/mL (postprandial) signify increased insulin secretion secondary to insulin resistance (Bland 2000). ....
    But the test is not a commonly used to diagnose diabetes because of the lack of a reliable reference range. And because elevated insulin levels can be caused different things. Here is what the labtest online website says about it.

Quote:
    What does the test result mean?
    NOTE: A standard reference range is not available for this test. Because reference values are dependent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Your lab report should include the specific reference range for your test. Lab Tests Online strongly recommends that you discuss your test results with your doctor. For more information on reference ranges, please read Reference Ranges and What They Mean.

Insulin levels must be evaluated in context. If fasting insulin and glucose levels are normal, most likely the body's glucose regulation system is functioning normally. If insulin is elevated and glucose is normal and/or moderately elevated, then there may be some insulin resistance at the cellular level. If the insulin is low and the glucose is high, then most likely there is insufficient insulin being produced. If insulin levels are normal or elevated and glucose levels are low, then the patient is hypoglycemic due to excess insulin.

Elevated insulin levels are seen with:

1. Acromegaly
    2. Cushing's syndrome
    3. Drugs such as corticosteroids, levodopa, oral contraceptives
    4. Fructose or galactose intolerance
    5. Insulinomas
    6. Obesity
    7. Insulin resistance, such as appears in early type 2 diabetes
    Hope that helps.

Mark

Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

SamQKitty - yes, I am sadly overweight, I could stand to lose about 60 pounds.. I've been unable to lose weight very sucessfully because I'm dealing with a thyroid and adrenal problem as well (lucky me!) I would love to lose the extra poundage, and hopefully will be able to once I get the thyroid and adrenal fatigue under control..

Mark - someone else mentioned cushing's syndrome to me. It's kinda funny, I just put my horse on meds for cushings disease - he has it too. Thankfully I don't grow hair quite like he can! My doc didn't say anything about what the elevated insulin level could signify - she just mentioned it was higher than she would like. But she did ask that I cut out starches and potatoes - all that yummy stuff. I really can't "diet" because my body is stressed enough as it is with all this other stuff going on - but I'm hoping cutting out "white" foods will help me shed a little weight.

That did help, thank you!

Old 04-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
    TuesdaysChild
    (female)

TuesdaysChild HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamQKitty
    Your fasting glucose is right in the normal range, even under the newly tightened standars. Anything from 80-100 is considered completely normal.
    Ruth,

Do you have a link or the name of a site where I can read more about the new standards? I'd be interested to know what all the new guidelines are.

Thanks,
    Jo-Ann

Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Jo-Ann,
    Look up the Joslin Diabetes Center or the American Diabetes Association. They've both got lots of info on the current standards for target glucose levels.

Ruth

Old 04-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #7
    ldjones
    Inactive
    (female)

ldjones HB User

Irys, That insulin level is signifigant, you need to have other blood tests run. I was put on meds for siezures, didn't work, put on meds for insulin restistance didn't work, now 17 yrs later bam all this time had a tumor. All because the correct tests were not run. Its pretty simple Do a 12hr fasting, glucose, insulin, serum ketone, blood ammonia levels. These all have relation to my prob. My ammonia was off the charts, ketones were high, glucose normal, and insulin at 48 high. I was mis dx'd for way to many yrs, and now have major issues because of it. I tell everyone, because docs jump on people being predisposed to type 2 diabetes to often and jump the gun. I am a nurse and never even knew about these types of problems. Make sure your doc is an endocrinologist who specializes in these disorders. Hope you find out what is happening

Old 04-29-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

ldjones - wow, I'm so sorry to hear that.. I hope things are a little more under control for you now?

My doc isn't an endo - I went to one initially about my thyroid problems (I was pulling at straws) and he basically laughed me out of his office.. I'm seeing a naturopath right now that's trying to get my thyroid and adrenals under control. Thank you for commenting though - I knew it was a problem, but I didn't think it could possibly be super serious. I go back to see her mid-June where we're looking at my thyroid levels again.. I'll ask her if it's possible to run additional tests to see if something else is going on. I think she was starting out with something "easy" by asking me to cut out refined foods....

*sigh* It just sucks that I have to deal with this on top of everything else..

Thanks for your advice.

Closed Thread