It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Diagnosed Pre-Diabetic Help Please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #1
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User
    Diagnosed Pre-Diabetic Help Please

I have been diagnosed Pre- Diabetic over a year ago. I have been keeping it under control with diet so far, but, went to the doctor today and seems like I am losing the battle. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might help me win the battle. I was drinking margaritas and wine is that a no no? I had been on a low carb diet, but, doc said not to eat red meat.. Does anyone have any diet suggestions? What I should and should not eat.... Please Help.. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
    anton botha
    (male)

anton botha HB User
    Smile Re: Diagnosed Pre-Diabetic Help Please

you need to have a well balanced meal and keeping the carbs low is good to keep your sugar down , but don't stop carbs altogether. look up a gi (Glycemic index) on which carbs push your sugar up fast and which are slow acting, try lots of salads and lots of exercise.
    You need to get to know yoou gi and work it.
    Drink lots of water

Old 12-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
    desertdiabetic
    (male)

desertdiabetic HB User
    Re: Diagnosed Pre-Diabetic Help Please

There are about as many approaches to pre-diabetes as there are opinions. With pre-diabetes you do have the opportunity to turn it around. Well, some pre-diabetics will be able to turn it around.

Going low carb is necessary to control your blood sugars. You did not mention what they are. If you are not checking them then you should consider it. Everything you eat will have some effect on your blood sugar. Even things without sugar in them can have some effect on you. A full stomach will cause blood sugars to rise. Your body has a mind of its own, so to speak.

There are different approaches to drinking water. I drink a lot because of a kidney stone problem that is always waiting to kick my butt. Others feel the over driving of you kidney is ill advised. The best thing you can do is take the load off your system so you do not get the complications that at your door. The main thing is to take the load off your beta cells so they do not burn out. I am not so sure that a pre-diabetic has the same beta cell burnout as a type 2 does. Pre-diabetics do have a higher risk of heart problems and other problems so you have to proctect yourself just as if you were to be type 2. Research everything you can about the water issue and the diet part. I always suggest google Richard K Bernstein and you will see many places to research further.

Exercise is critical to all type 2 and pre-diabetics. It is not just a good idea. It is part of the program. Some research has shown that proper exercise has been able to give the same effects as some medications. That is considerable considering that you can do that yourself and you control it.

Last edited by desertdiabetic; 12-07-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks for the info. I did just have an ablation on my heart, so maybe that caused things to go out of line. What do you all think? I had the ablation on 12/2/05 and went to my regular doctor on 12/6/05. That is where I found out that my ratio went from a 5.9 to a 6.3. I probably should have postponed my regular doctor's visit until I had recovered more from my surgery. My sugar was tested on 12/2/05, before surgery and registered 105. The nurses said that was ok. I thought that was high. I am so confused about what is good and what is bad.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
    desertdiabetic
    (male)

desertdiabetic HB User

I don't know what you mean by 'ablation on the heart'

When the nurse said that 105 was ok she was speaking in relative terms, most likely. 105 is not bad, it is only a tad above the high normal. These numbers are all relative to what is going on in your life at that moment.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Fox,
    First of all, an A1c represents your average blood glucose levels (24/7) over the past 8-12 weeks. While it is somewhat heavily weighted towards the most recent few weeks, the ablation would not have changed your A1c. What it could have done was raised your blood sugar levels for a day or two due to stress, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference on the A1c.

If you must have some alcohol (and frankly, most diabetics should do without), stick to a white wine or a dry red. Margaritas contain a LOT of sugar in the mix, and can raise your blood sugar levels dramatically.

As to what you should or should not eat, you might want to ask your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietician (RD) who can assist you in determining a food plan that works for you. If the ablation was to clear up fatty deposits, I can see why your doctor may have warned you off red meat, but there are some very lean cuts of red meat that you could have occasionally. An RD can not only work out a food plan for you, he or she can give you tips on meal planning, snacking, etc.

Type 2 diabetes is often a progressive disease. For some people, no matter how motivated they are and how well they stick to their food/exercise plan, there will come a time when they will need the assistance of oral medication or even insulin. However, those steps can often be put off for years with aggressive management.

Your A1c of 6.3 is definitely of concern, and indicates that you may be getting to the point where you will need oral medications. Before you panic, however, I'd see the dietician and work out a meal plan, then have your doctor do a follow up A1c within 3 months. An A1c of 6.3 indicates an average blood glucose of 123, which isn't awful, but it isn't great, either. If it goes up more, you and your doctor definitely might want to consider starting some oral medication. Today's oral meds can really help slow the progression of the illness dramatically.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 12-08-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks for the info SamQKitty and desertdiabetic. I am going to stay away from the Margaritas and stick to White Zinfadel (not sure on spelling) if I need something to drink. Margaritas are something that I added in the past few months so I really think that it was the culprit. I was drinking alot and often. I did have an IV in for my heart ablation as well, I wonder if that could have added to my sugar???? It was some kind of clear liquid. I forget the name of it. I am scheduled to have another blood test in 3 months. I know I can eat vegetables, fish, chicken, turkey. I guess I will try and stick to that. No, the ablation was not to clear up fatty acids. An ablation was done to control an electrical problem that I had with my heart. My heart would kick into rapid heart beat called SVT. That problem has been corrected. Again, thanks for the info you both sound very knowledgeable. Take care and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cfoxj
    I have been diagnosed Pre- Diabetic over a year ago. I have been keeping it under control with diet so far, but, went to the doctor today and seems like I am losing the battle. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might help me win the battle. I was drinking margaritas and wine is that a no no? I had been on a low carb diet, but,( doc said not to eat red meat..) Does anyone have any diet suggestions? What I should and should not eat.... Please Help.. Thanks!
    Why not have Chicken, Alaskan Salmon and /or Egg Whites instead of Red Meat !! later!!

Old 12-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Fox,
    I should have realized the ablation was for electrical...my cousin had that done a few years back. I thought they did those more for atrial fibs, though, than for SVT. I've had a couple of episodes of SVT myself, but IV cardizem stopped them, and since they were years apart, nothing to worry about, I guess.

As for the drinking, though...regardless of what you drink, "a lot and often" isn't good for a diabetic. An occasional glass of white zin is fine, but "occasional" is the operative word here.

Also, do see a dietician...I think you'll find it very helpful.

Ruth

Old 12-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks Ruth! I have completely stopped my drinking. Where can I find a dietician and what would they do differently than a regular doctor? Do they set up meal plans for you?

Old 12-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

I just had another surgery done, which was totally unexpected. I had them test my sugar before hand. They told me it was 126. I about hit the floor! I could not believe it was so high!! It has never been that high that I know of!!! I am told that stress can raise your sugar. I hope that is true! I was really stressed about this surgery! Much more than the one I had on 12/2/05. Does anyone know when and if your sugar goes back down after surgery and how long it takes??? That really scared me!!!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #12
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

A couple of fasting bg's at 126 would be enough to say that you are diabetic, so I would get some follow-up fasting bg's done. Sure, stress could have brought it up, but here's the thing, Fox...if everytime you're stressed your bg is going up, then you absolutely HAVE to deal with the elevated blood sugars.

Your doctor (primary care or endocrinologist, if you have one) can refer you to a registered dietician and yes, an RD will definitely be able to help you with meal plans.

Another thing you should know is that Type 2 diabetes is often a progressive illness. Usually it starts with insulin resistance. For a while (sometimes even years) your pancreas can produce enough extra insulin to compensate for the insulin resistance but eventually, the beta cells in the pancreas start wearing out. Some of them will die altogether. At that point, your body is no longer producing enough insulin.

The newer medications such as Avandia and Metformin work by reducing your body's insulin resistance. They are not only excellent for getting your blood sugars under control, but they actually help slow the progression of the illness by reducing your insulin needs, thus sparing the beta cells in the pancreas. If diet and exercise no longer work for you, please do not consider yourself a "failure", but rather do the sensible thing and get some help via oral medications.

Of course, you could still try diet and, if you're able to with your other physical problems, exercise for a few more months, especially after some consultation with an RD, but don't just keep delaying medications for too long because it may actually cause you to need insulin sooner, rather than later.

Ruth

Old 12-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
    cfoxj
    (female)

cfoxj HB User

Thanks Ruth! I will check into it. Take care and thanks for all your help!

Old 12-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good luck Fox, and come back and let us know how you're doing.

Ruth

Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #15
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User

...I'm one of the ones who has insulin resistance, and a diet based on the glycemic index has helped me tremendously. It has also helped a friend of mine who has type 2 diabetes. His Dr has been able to reduce his metformin dosage in half since he's been on the diet.

...It's not a low carb diet but a diet where you choos your carbs based on how they effect your metabolism. A high index number means it will spike your insulin/blood sugar greatly and the lower the number the less effect it will have. An index of 100 represents the effect that eating pure glucose would have.

...White starches can have a bigger impact on blood sugar and insulin responses than table sugar, which is why the index was developed.
    Rick

Closed Thread