It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 01:53 AM   #1
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Unhappy Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

Hi All,
    My Mother has a lot of symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease. She won't go and be checked for it but I am so worried. My question is that I was told that diabetics can have forgetfulness. My Mother was on the pill and recently started taking insulin. Her diabeties are sometimes in the 300's. She has to get it under control. She claims her severe forgetfulness is from diabeties. I mean she will tell a whole story that she believes happens and it didn't. She is so forgetful it scares me. Could this be caused by diabeties. I know Alzeimer's can cause this but can high sugar levels. Thank You.
    Worried Daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User
    Re: Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

WOW! I keep asking the same question. I hope you get some decent answers. They can't seem to figure out what's going on with my forgetfullness,

Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
    desertdiabetic
    (male)

desertdiabetic HB User

If it is a part of diabetes it is relative rare. I use "rare" loosely here. Of course, I would not just rule it out - I sure her doctor will not have the answer either. The medical profession knows so little about diabetes - even with the big advances in the field.

Alzheimer's and diabetes is a bad situation. Someone would have to take the responsibility of medications and diet sooner than later. With her blood glucose so high you will have to treat these laspes of memory as very serious. Do what you can to get her to a doctor. I know it is difficult when the person does not want to go, if not impossible.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Unhappy Re: Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

Thank You so much,
    I am trying my hardest to get her to a Doctor. She does go to a Doctor for her diabeties but she has to get it under control. I am so worried about her forgetfulness. It is not normal.
    Thank You so much.
    Vanna

Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Unhappy Re: Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissHelen
    WOW! I keep asking the same question. I hope you get some decent answers. They can't seem to figure out what's going on with my forgetfullness,

Hi, I Pray your forgetfullness is your diabities. It probably is. I'm just so worried because my Mom is beyond forgetting. I guess I could be in denial. I Pray it is her diabeties. Please Pray for Her and I will Pray for you.
    Thank You for writing.
    God Bless You,
    Vanna

Old 02-15-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Question Re: Can Diabeties cause forgetfulness

Helen, I think your forgetfullness is your diabeties. I was just wondering did you have yourself checked for other illnesses? If not, please do it now.
    God Bless You,
    Vanna

Old 02-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

i cant get test resulst for a few days, but ive been showing major symptoms fro months, type 2 + hypoglycemia & type 1 + hyperglycemia run in my family, so im at a high risk for either and more than likley have one or the other..

i am the most unbelaivably forgetful & scatterbrained person ive ever met..
    alot of times, ill have a dream (mine are very reallalistic) and talk like it happened becuase i think it did, it freaks my friends out

being tired or hungery can make you very forgetful, so it seems logical that diabetes causes my memory problems, and hers too

im only 16, but i thought my forgetfullness was so bad that it could be an early onset of alzhiemers,
    untill someone told me "if you can remember that you forgot, your fine" i can (usually) remember on my own, or if someone reminds me, except i cnat seprate dreams form reality sometimes, no matter what people say to me
    is your mom the same way?

Last edited by iyami; 02-18-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
    desertdiabetic
    (male)

desertdiabetic HB User

When I first say this post I had some doubts about memory loss being caused by diabetes. I was searching and found this set of quotes that addresses this, a little.

......By Will Boggs, MD

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Better metabolic control of type 2 diabetes can lead to improved "working memory" -- the type of memory people use to keep information in their minds for short-periods of time and to complete day-to-day activities.

"Many of the patients with type 2 diabetes may have evidence of mild cognitive dysfunction," Dr. Christopher M. Ryan, from University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, told Reuters Health. "Improving metabolic control and reducing fasting plasma glucose (sugar) levels can lead to an improvement in learning and memory ability."

You would think that if memory can be improved by better control then it would follow that you would lose some memory abilities with poor glucose control.

Closed Thread