It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Daughter diagnosed with Type 1 D

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User
    Question Daughter diagnosed with Type 1 D

My five year old daughter got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week. She had a three day stay at the hospital and off we sent home. She is on humolog 3X a day and Lantus 1X bedtime. Ever since she is feeling better she has developed a huge appetite. Not only she eats big meals three times a day but every 10 minutes she is begging for more food, mostly carbs. I mean her stomach turned into a bottomless pit! She has never been a big eater before diagnosis and she may have lost a couple of pounds at the hospital. I was wondering if anyone out there has an experience like this with their appetite following a Type 1 diagnosis. TIA.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
    midlife05
    (male)

midlife05 HB User
    Re: Daughter diagnosed with Type 1 D

She is probably feeling better. Discuss the insulin pump with her Dr. they start kids off pretty early these days it will be the best control and make her life as normal as can be. Go to [url]www.minimed[/url] .com they have a great section on type 1 in kids.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
    Mark Munday
    Inactive
    (male)

Mark Munday HB User

The fact that she is eating well is good. But you should test her blood sugar before meals and when she asks for more food between meals. If it is low, this could be increasing her hunger. In which case, it could mean that she is on too much insulin. The requirement for injected insulin often declines temporarily during that initial honeymoon period.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User

Thank you for the responses. I will check out the link.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
    Betty325062000
    Inactive
    (female)

Betty325062000 HB User

My daughter from birth ate very little. At age 9 we finally found a doctor that diagnosed her as diabetic. I think she had glucose problems for a long time, but according to the medical literature this is not likely. She grew normally til age 4. After that the doctors just kept giving me the line "she will grow". Getting her diagnosed was a nightmare. They hospitalized her for 2 weeks and she ate everything in sight. The first week she gained 10 pounds. Then the doctor cut her calories to prevent to quickly a growth. From then on for a few years she ate more than a working man should need. It was interesting to watch her eat. She did not seem to be eating quickly but at the blink of an eye the plate was empty.

I hope your daughter does well. It is a tough road but just hang in there and things will get better.
    Betty

Old 03-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
    antrought
    (female)

antrought HB User

My daughter was exactly the same way. I would try to fill her stomach with what we call "freebies". I would grill her up a burger w/ cheese and no bun, hot dog with no bun. They even have jello cups that are sugar free and that's a freebi. lil'smokies is one that my daughter loves, even sugar free gum is a great way to treat her sweet tooth any time she wants candy. My daughter loves juice so we bought her the gatorade "Propel" it has a few carbs in it but it's does it's job better that juice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by antrought; 03-13-2006 at 06:37 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User

Thank you for the responses.We check her sugar several times a day, before meals, 2 hrs. after meals, and before bedtime. We even did it in the middle of the night for a while after coming back from the hospital.

I think she has entered the "honeymoon" stage. In the last couple of days she needs less humolog and her sugar is within the limits. However, the appetite/food obssesion is still there. It's like she does not get that "You are full. Stop eating" signal from her brain anymore. I always have the zero carb snacks handy, sugar-free jellos, cheese sticks, crsytal light, cold-cut, etc. But some of those stuff are not calorie free! I hope her appetite will go down to a reasonable level or we may have to deal with weight issues on top of her Type 1 D.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
    Betty325062000
    Inactive
    (female)

Betty325062000 HB User
    Question Re: Daughter diagnosed with Type 1 D

Type 1D is new to me. Could you explain a little?
    Betty

Old 03-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
    antrought
    (female)

antrought HB User

Type 1 Diabetic is when they are insulin dependent. They sometimes call it "juvenile" diabetes. It's been diagnosed more in children and not because they are over weight or eat to much carbs/sugar, but because their pancreas does not produce it's own insulin, there for they are now insulin dependent and require insulin shots daily. The only thing that boggles my mind about this is that they "doctors/scientist" do not know why this happens "it just happens" my daughter was diagnosed and no body in my family or my husbands family has it. My daughter is no where near over weight, she is very thin, very active in her gymnastics, and preferes grape nut cereal over anr sugary cereal. So when she was diagnosed, it was a real shock. When we were asking questions they really could tell us why this happened.

Her symptoms where: frequent urination; rapid weight loss; irritable; fatigued

Hope this helps.

Last edited by antrought; 03-14-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User

My daughter otherwise is a robust five year old. Noone in our families have type 1 or 2 Diabetes either; and like anthrought's daughter my kid is not overweight, she has a normal height/weight ratio. The doctor's explanation was that her body was fighting off a virus, not necessarily related to her pancreas, and produced antibodies. Somehow the antibodies attacked the Beta cells in her pancreas, and destroyed them. Beta cells are responsible for insulin production in the pancreas. Therefore, that's why Type 1 D needs regular insulin administrations since Beta cells are no longer alive.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
    antrought
    (female)

antrought HB User

They told me that too, since I had told them that my daughter recently had the hand, foot, mouth virus. But they are not positive that it was the cause of it.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #12
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User

Antrought and Betty, just curious, what is a typical breakfast your feed to your kids? My daughter (she is five) eats one whole wheat tortilla (8" diameter) with reduced sugar peanut butter and no-sugar fruit spread, reduced fat milk (6-8 oz.), 1-2 eggs, and a cheese stick.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #13
    antrought
    (female)

antrought HB User

My daughter loves plain oatmeal; regular cheerios; wheat toast; bacon, sausage. I really try not to limit her of what she can eat because she was never really a bad eater. I mean she loves her junk food once in a while but what kid doesn't. To me it's just a matter of balance. If you are really interested in a nutritional diet you can go on diabetes.org and they have great research on that web site about nutrition

Last edited by antrought; 03-14-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
    antrought
    (female)

antrought HB User

also on www.medicalnewstoday.com they have great updates with the progress and studies that doctors/scientist are doing research on, like the insulin inhaler and the cell tranplant. It's really cool.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
    iridescentsea
    (female)

iridescentsea HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antrought
    also on [url]www.medicalnewstoday.com[/url] they have great updates with the progress and studies that doctors/scientist are doing research on, like the insulin inhaler and the cell tranplant. It's really cool.
    Thanks for the link.

Closed Thread