It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• forearm glucometer stick-gotta love it!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
    minxkely

minxkely HB User
    Thumbs up forearm glucometer stick-gotta love it!

I've had diabetes for 4 and a half years and had the same glucometer all that time until 2 months ago when my hubby got diagnosed. being an electrical engineer he didn't just get one, he had to research all the available models, surf the web, read the detailed (and disgustingly complicated) chemical and electrical details on how each one worked.

sheesh! you'd think he was buying a new car or house instead of a little handheld device. Of course for us, it is more important than a house or car, anyway, he insisted on getting the one that lets you test other places, leg, forearm, etc, and so no more fingersticks for me! I waited til we saw whether he liked the new one, and then switched mine over to it as well.

I am not sure we are allowed to mention brand names or not, if so, tell me and I will share exactly which model I got, anyway I love not having to hurt my fingers 3 times a day. I do not even feel the forearm stick and it uses so much less blood and the glucometer strips are more durable (my old type you couldn't touch with your finge, had to use the foil package to maneuver them into the machine) plus they do not expire for 18 months instead of 3 months after I buy them.

Hubby keeps reading up on the technology and says when they are affordable we will buy one of the ones that does not even puncture the skin, they supposedly use ultraviolet or somesuch and read the level thru your ear lobe. I don't understand how that would work, but hubby could explain it I am sure.

Anyway I guess my message here is to check out the newer glucometers on the market. The difference in my old and new machines is like the difference between night and day.

Colleen in Chgo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Hi Coleen,

Boy, I sure HATE to be the one to burst your bubble, but I've been told by two registered dieticians,a nurse educator, and the sales representative for one of the meters that you can use to test on your forearm that the forearm tests are not accurate most of the time. Bummer! What I was told is that they are fairly accurate in the AM, for a fasting glucose test, but that it takes the glucose longer to get to the smaller capillaries in your forearms than it does to get to your fingertips, so that during the rest of the day, if you test in your forearm, you won't get an accurate reading. You may want to check with your doctor on this.

I'm still planning to get a new meter as I feel it's worth it even if I can elimanate just ONE finger stick a day!

Old 05-06-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
    deedee2074

deedee2074 HB User
    If you still have your old finger stick monitor, why not take readings on both and compare the two. That is the only way to be 100% sure that they are accurate. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
    minxkely

minxkely HB User
    my bad!

I should have clarified that you need to make adjustments to the results you get. I sat and compared the results with my old glucometer and yes, the levels are different, but they are indeed just as accurate. Hubby has a strong background in biomed tech and he explained it this way, you are right about the glucose taking longer to get to the arms. What is in your arms is about 5 to minutes later than what is in your finger, so you just need to learn what your low and warning numbers are in your arm. for me, when I am starting to have a sugar low crash, my arm reads 81, which equates to when my finger sticks read 65 or thereabouts.

I should have included that I would NOT recommend using this machine if you are new to diabetes, but if you are more experienced and understand the adjustment from forearm to fingersticks, it is wonderful to not have bruised calloused fingers all the time.

I wouldn't say it is inaccurate readings, just a different scale or perception than what folks might be used to. You have to adjust to it. I had tried 2 different finger stick glucometers in my first year of diabetes, and man, those numbers were off more than 15 points from each sometimes. This machine has the same consistent difference from my finger stick readings.

Colleen in Chgo

Old 05-06-2002, 05:53 PM   #5
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Colleen -
    Thanks for clarifying the info re arm sticks vs. finger sticks...I'm planning to get a new meter soon, and would sure LOVE to eliminate as many finger sticks as possible. Will pass that info on to my doctors and RD's and nurse educators.

Anyone want to weigh in on the different meters', advantages vs. disadvantages? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
    Ruth

Closed Thread