It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Aspring police officer needs help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
    thiggins1774

thiggins1774 HB User
    Exclamation Aspring police officer needs help!!!

I am a 28yr old wanting to become a police officer. I have diabetes and just recently (today) been diagnosed with hyper-tension. Does anyone know if I can still become a police officer with these two ailments?

[This message has been edited by thiggins1774 (edited 10-03-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2002, 12:29 PM   #2
    jim5554

jim5554 HB User
    I know it doesn't seem fair but either condition is generally enough to disqualify you. I don't know of any Department that will hire you if you suffer from them. A diabetic, especially a Type I requires a much more structured life style than the life of a police officer. I retired a few years ago after doing 27 years as a police officer and I can tell you from personal experience that you can not plan on specific meal times or types of food, regular sleeping hours or even the time to give yourself an insulin shot. Because of the nature of the illness Type II diabetic would have an easier time of it and in fact many older cops do develop it. I don't know of anyone who has been terminated because of it, but to tell you the truth,if you develop it, it's time to retire. The rotating shifts, irregular meals and the diet in general of a police officer will only lead to complications. Cops don't eat donuts because they like them, thet eat them because they're the only thing available at 3:00 A.M. Hypertension kills cops. Police work is very often broken down into segments of 2 or 3 hours of absolute boredom followed by 10 minutes of absolute terror. It is not a good occupation for some one with high blood pressure.

[This message has been edited by jim5554 (edited 10-03-2002).]

Old 10-03-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
    ncognet0

ncognet0 HB User
    Well, Jim knows what he is talking about, I'm a cop 14 years and last month was diagnosed with type II. Well this has been a bad thing for this type of job. I am required to take my insulin at structured times as well as eat. I just hope I can meet my 20 then retire. I dont know if you can get a job in Police work that will schedule you around your eating and insulin times.

Old 10-07-2002, 06:46 AM   #4
    Augustmomm3

Augustmomm3 HB User
    My husband is 43 years old. He has hypertension and diabetes which he takes oral medication. There is also another office in their department that is insulin dependent...so YES you can be a police officer. I also just had my 10 year old daughter diagnosed as insulin dependent so I am new to all of this but learning fast.
    I will say that it is hard for him to eat on time. He works day shift so that does help him with his sleep.
    Good Luck

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 11-04-2002).]

Old 10-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
    jim5554

jim5554 HB User
    There is a difference between being a Police Officer who has developed diabetes or hypertension and becoming a Police Officer if you already have them. I doubt if your husband had those conditions when he was originally hired. All of the Departments I'm aware of have stringent medical exams for new recruits. As you are well aware permanent day shift is considered a prime assignment that is reserved for those who have earned it and need it. Permanent day shift is better for anyone's health not just those with medical conditions. It would not be fair to the veteran officers for the Department to hire someone who could only work the day shift, thereby depriving those who have earned it from getting it. Also the legal ramifications of hiring a person with Type I diabetes or Hypertension are staggering. If you were on the jury how much would you award to the family of some one who was killed in an auto accident with a Police Officer who went into diabetic Shock or had a Stroke? Even as a retired Police Officer and a type II diabetic, I would consider that Department negligent and award millions.

Old 10-08-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
    thiggins1774

thiggins1774 HB User
    I have been doing some checking and a lot of the police departemnts have told me that it is okay as long as they are under control. I guess it would depend on individual situations. In my case, I am a Type II diet control diabetic with HA1c at 5.6 and my hypertension is within normal ranges for normal people. However as we all know a diabetic should be 130/80. I am ten points from that. I hear your point Jim...I know that these conditions are not favorable. I am glad that everyone took the time to respond. I think that we all should understand that Diabetes is a health condition that can be dealt with. A type I is more prone to have an episode than a type II. A type II will never be normal after the onset, however can come off the medication and control his/hers diabetes. I am living proof with a soaring blood sugar of 803 at the onset and now for two years I take nothing. As for my Hypertension...I not sure why that has come about, but I know one thing, I will fight it and I will get rid of it. Thanks all for your comments.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
    jim5554

jim5554 HB User
    Glad to hear it. I've found that the guys who have to overcome some obstacle to get the job make the best cops anyway. They're more motivated and appreciate what they have. they work a little harder than those who have it fall in their laps. Just keep in mind that the job is going to make controlling your conditions more difficult. I hope you get hired and if you do, welcome to the greatest show on earth!

Old 10-24-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
    MI8

MI8 HB User
    umm im an 18 year old and i have always wanted to join the army,i was diagnosed a year ago with insulin resistance and hypertension.after one year of medications my Bp is low and things i guess are going ok. i know how u feel, cos i also have a risk of not getting accepted to the army cos its specially tough in my country. but i am not giving up on it at all. thats all that i can say.

Old 10-24-2002, 09:33 PM   #9
    thiggins1774

thiggins1774 HB User
    Thumbs up

MI8-

That is a good attitude to have! I think that if we have dreams, we should follow them. If we have an illness that can be controlled we should do everything in our power to control that ilness. I believe you will make it as long as you strive to better yourself each day. It is hard, even I slack off sometimes, but nothing is impossible til you make it so. Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
    Girl20

Girl20 HB User
    Smile

i am sorry i dont really have any information on that. but i wanted to say good luck, and in my opoion i dont think u cant be b/c u have hpyertension and diabeties. thats jsut my opoion though. good luck agian.
    Erin

Closed Thread