It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• going to baseball games with insulin/needles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
    LiLSqrt75
    (female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
    Post going to baseball games with insulin/needles

my brother just recently was diagnosed with diabetes and is going to his first baseball game tonight. my mom carries a big cooler with his insulin, needles and snacks in it.
    how are they going to be able to bring all this stuff into the stadium? they say you cant bring coolers, food, or drinks into the ball park.
    we have tried calling the ball park but keep getting transfered to peoples voicemails.

are there any baseball fans here that go to games with diabetic stuff?
    any suggestions?????? please help

thank you

Brandon Riley
    Born 3-18-04
    baby brother to Vanessa & Tyler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
    MikelBear

MikelBear HB User
    I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1965, and have "gone everywhere and done everything" in those 38 years. I've never in my life carried such a load of stuff!! You say that "mom carries a big cooler with his insulin, needles and snacks." First, his insulin doesn't need to be carried in a cooler. I keep my insulin (I use a pen for day outings) in my pocket or in a small pack. I also keep my test kit and a small tube of glucose tabs. That's all--it fits in a VERY small pack. I've never had any problem getting into stadiums, concerts, events, etc, although I have been searched--I show my insulin pen, say "I'm a diabetic" and they let me right through! Lighten up the heavy load a bit...!

Michael

[This message has been edited by MikelBear (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
    LiLSqrt75
    (female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
    i was wondering about that because i dont see many people carrying big coolers like my mom does. i think its because he was just diagnosed a couple of months ago and my mom is a worry wart and brings meals with exact carbs everywhere she goes. i dont know much about diabetes but it seems as though he doesnt need all of the stuff she carries around. but i dont know.

thanks for your advice

Brandon Riley
    Born 3-18-04

Old 08-05-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
    Biggie Fries
    Inactive

Biggie Fries HB User
    What kind of regimen is he on that he would be requiring an injection at a ball game? Oh, wait, nachos! Hot dogs! Just take a prefilled syringe. Surely he's already wearing a Medic-Alert tag or carrying a Medic-Alert card, that's always been enough "proof" for me that I'm not a terrorist! And insulin can be left unrefrigerated for up to 30 days, and in fact I never refrigerate mine and only had one vial in 22 years go bad - and that was left in the car in the summer.

Another thought - instead of carrying meals around, why not research how many carbs are in foods? If you know in advance that you're going to a ball game, and you would have a hot dog and chips, then you would know that you would be having, say, 60 carbs (depending on what size chips he gets) and would bring that much insulin. After a while, believe me, you will be able to eyeball any meal out and have a pretty accurate guess of how much insulin to take.

He is NOT going to be able to go through life carrying a meal around, believe me.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
    LiLSqrt75
    (female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
    i wish you *ll could **lk *o my mom. m*yb* *h* n*** *im* sh* com*s ov*r *o my hous* i will pos* *nd hop*fully g** you guys or som* p*opl* *h** c*n h*lp h*r ou* * bi*. [IMG]h**p://www.h**l*hbo*rds.com/ubb/round.gif[/IMG]

*h*nk you for your *hough*s :w*v*:

[This message has been edited by LiLSqrt75 (edited 08-05-2003).]

Brandon Riley
    Born 3-18-04

Old 08-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
    LiLSqrt75
    (female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
    som**hing is wrong, i don* know why i* is m*ssing up on m*. i will r*ply l***r

by

[This message has been edited by LiLSqrt75 (edited 08-05-2003).]

Brandon Riley
    Born 3-18-04

Old 08-10-2003, 01:51 AM   #7
    Biggie Fries
    Inactive

Biggie Fries HB User
    I think I figured out what you were trying to say....

Old 08-11-2003, 06:44 AM   #8
    Mariele

Mariele HB User
    Squirt, I know EXACTLY how your mom feels! When my daughter was diagnosed I used to take half the house out with us. After a while we took it down to tester, glucose, insulin pens, which fits into a small bag easily. She'll get the hang of it soon, don't worry. Tell her not to feel bad. The first time we went on holiday, I packed an entire case with low-sugar puddings and fruit snacks for the plane trip. It weighed about 400 pounds. The things we do.....

It's great that you are concerned and helping out with your brother!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Squirt -
    There are a few travel packs on the market that can hold all supplies...One is made by MediCool, and one is called (I think) the Diabetic Pack. They're advertised in the back of Diabetes Forecast, which is the magazine put out by the American Diabetes Association.

Also, a company called Frio makes a very small pack just for insulin.

I think the others are right...your Mom shouldn't need to carry a large cooler. The MediCool or Diabetic Pack would hold syringes, meter, lancets, needles and have cold packs for the insulin, and they're only the size of a waist pouch or small shoulder bag.

Depending on where you live, how hot it is, and how long they're going to be out, water is a good thing to carry with you, along with a juice box or two. When I used to attend an all-day concert here at Foxboro Stadium, I called ahead to the company that handles security for the stadium and got a verbal okay to bring in a small, over-the-shoulder type cooler. When I'd get to the gate, I'd just tell them the name of the man who gave me permission on the phone. You do need to bring some supplies if you're going to be out very long in very hot weather, as dehydration can be a nightmare if you're diabetic.

[This message has been edited by SamQKitty (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-11-2003, 07:30 PM   #10
    LiLSqrt75
    (female)

LiLSqrt75 HB User
    thank you all for your responses.
    i appreciate the time you have taken for me.

i shared with my mom all of your responses and she said the reason she carries a cooler with so much stuff in it is because my brother also has ciliac disease(or siliac????) so he is on a gluten free diet as well. (whatever that means)
    from what i understand, he has to eat at certain times of the day and snack at certain times of the day and i guess its not that easy to find gluten free items at fast food places and etc.

thanks again

Brandon Riley
    Born 3-18-04

Old 08-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #11
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Well, now I understand why your Mom has to carry so much! With diabetes AND celiac disease, she must have the appropriate foods on hand or your brother could be in serious trouble.

Again, my advice would be to find out who handles security for the ball park and call them to explain the situation. They should be able to give verbal approval for the cooler. Make sure you get the name of the head of security, and then use his/her name at the entrance gates.

Closed Thread