It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Panic / Blood Sugar reactions to Carbohydrates?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
    cgard

cgard HB User
    Post Panic / Blood Sugar reactions to Carbohydrates?

Well this is about Diabetes, Panic Disorder and I am not really sure what else. I am grasping for straws here....I started having panic attacks a couple of years ago but did not pay attention to what may have caused it. Doc put me on Celexa for 60 days and the panic cleared up for the most part.

For the past 1 year though I have started to have anxiety within 1-2 hours of eating a heavy carbohydrate meal (it seems anything including rice, pasta, bread et al) and sometimes they can last as long as 7 hours. Symptoms are: Pounding/Racing Heart, feelings of faintness, and most recently the one that really scares me are nocturnal anxiety attacks. As in everytime I drift off to sleep, I wake up in sheer panic, sometimes I cant breathe and my heart must be racing at 180bpm's. This can happen over and over again for hours and I can't get to sleep.

I started doing some reading on insulin resistance, carbohydrate intolerance etc as my Dad is a diabetic. I read that after ingesting a large quantity or carbs or sugar the body can react by overproducing insulin which in turn allows blood sugar to rapidly enter cells leaving you with a dangerously low blood sugar level, the brain then stimulates the adrenal gland to produce epenephrine which in turn can produce symptoms of panic.

It seems like no doctor is able to help me or diagnose the problem. The usual answer I get is "I have no idea why carbohydrates would make your system react like that". Now this is the third doctor, and I am going to try to get in to see an Endocrinologist who might know what he is talking about.

In the interim, I purchased a Blood Glucose machine to see what my system was doing when I was having an anxiety attack after carbohydrates. My fasting BG is 5.4-5.9mmol/L and within an hour or two of eating carbs it can spike up to 9.4-10.1mmol/L, this is usually the time that my heart begins to race etc... So it would seem so far, that it is not due to extremely low blood sugars... I am confused, and exhausted. Anyone else have some ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
    cgard

cgard HB User
    Thanks for your comments. I would have believed the Hypoglycemic idea however since I have purchased the blood glucose device I have yet to see my blood sugar drop below 5.3mmol/L (maybe 90-100 in Imperial measurement?) while fasting or after having a heavy meal of carbohydrates. I have seen my blood sugar approach 10.1mmol/L though after eating pasta with garlic bread and it seemed that I started getting the rabid heart beat and feelings of anxiety at that point rather than at the point of low blood sugar.

Any other ideas? Perhaps its just carbohydrate intolerance or an allergy I am not really sure. Seems like pretty severe symptoms for an allergy, and they dont seem to be congruent with what I have reab about allergy symptoms.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
    SharonLee

SharonLee HB User
    I don,t know, but you very well could be wheat and or gluten, intolerant, and also blood sugars spike dramaticaly after a heavy carb meal. The only thing you could do is see if drastically lowering your carb intake at every meal for awhile and also cutting out wheat, white flour, gluten products, etc. would help your symptoms, there are many wheat intolerant people around and symptoms vary.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    look into addisons disease http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif this has an effect on blood sugar and its about time l practised what l preached and got myself sorted out

Old 10-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
    Bryan L

Bryan L HB User
    Lightbulb

I had similar but milder attacks that I traced down to having too many sugar and wheat-carb foods in my diet.
    I'm sure you've tracked your intake, but make sure you aren't relying on fruit juices or other foods invisibly-high in sugar. Watch the caffeine...

When I once tried the Atkins diet, my moods became rock solid, no anxiety...it seemed the huge blood-sugar rushes vanished. I'm not on the diet now, but limiting sugar/carbs seems to be the key to steady and predictable blood sugar. Throw in exercise if you can too...

Closed Thread