It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• can someone please explain sugar levels to me..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
    JustDave4now
    Veteran
    (male)

JustDave4now HB User
    can someone please explain sugar levels to me..

Hey all,
    I would really appreciate if someone could give me an idea of sugar levels for me, whats normal and whats not. I keep reading conflicting numbers on differnt sites. It's hard to tell...

I keep getting odd numbers, there are times that my sugar is 40 or 50, and I feel tired and woosy, and there are times my sugar spikes to 325 and I feel cruddy.

My mother being a diabetic, I sometimes worry. What are my cutoffs

I seem to average 150 to 275, though its not uncommon for me to get in the three hundreds or down under 50. I know the testing strips I am using are good, and I am doing it right, and I tested it on someone else. I was scoring a 250 and them a 120.

I went to the hospital when my sugar was in the 40's, he told me not to worry about it and gave me some orange juice. hmmmm

Does other peoples sugar bounce around, is it normal maybe and I am looking too much into it...

Ever since I turned 40 I have become paranoid LOL,

Please can someone give me a sugar scale to go by...please..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: can someone please explain sugar levels to me..

Dave,

None of those numbers are normal! 50 is too low, and anything over 160 (even after eating) is too high.

According to the Joslin Diabetes Center, normal ranges for a non-diabetic person are as follows:

Before breakfast <100 (Anything fron 101-125 is considered as pre-diabetic)

Before lunch, supper and snacks <110

Two hours after meals <140

Bedtime <120

A1c or HbA1c <6.0%

"<" means "less than..."

No, it is definitely NOT normal for your blood sugar levels to be bouncing around like that. It's time to make an appointment with your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 07-10-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
    troublesleeping
    (female)

troublesleeping HB User

There is a standard "normal" blood sugar level and it falls between 60-120. It should not matter too much if you have eaten or not-granted if your blood sugar is tested while not eating (a fasting blood sugar) it may be a little, very little bit lower but the whole purpose of a healthy person maintaining a healthy blood sugar is that if you eat- the pancreas kicks out insulin, making it possible for the sugar in your blood to go into the cells and enabling the cell to function. Likewise, if you have not eaten and the cells need sugar, the liver kicks out glucose- so in the end the body keeps this balance going so that at any given time, a healthy persons blood sugar should be between 60-120. Now, in a diabetic as yourself you ask if it is "normal" to have fluctuating blood sugars. There a many variables. How long have you been a diabetic for one. In new onset diabetes it may take a while to "regulate" your insulin or oral agents. How many times a day are you testing your sugar. If you find it to be very high in the morning this could be a "rebound" effect from taking to much insulin at night. Diabetes is very complex, the diet needs to be learned and please do not allow you primary MD to be adjusting your insulin, you need to be seeing an endocrinologist who are experts at diabetes. Please do this for yourself because the sooner you get this under control- you will go on to live a very comfortable, healthy life.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
    ShinAkumA21
    (male)

ShinAkumA21 HB User

i think i have that rebound effect because the morning i don't do so good sometimes i think i'm better off not eating in the morning but they say i have to so that that going to a dr. app soon to see what i can do i hate the rebound effect because it make u feel like **** at work but by the afternoon and night that feeling goes away a lil

Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
    JustDave4now
    Veteran
    (male)

JustDave4now HB User

Thanks for the replies..

I think I am going to make that appointment with the doc and see If I am diabetic after all. It looks like I might be after what you are all saying, my new doc Doesn't start though until August I wonder if its okay to wait a few weeks.

I checked my sugar this morning waking up and it was only 159, which gave me a little hope. It has been lately in the upper two hundreds.

I only started checking my sugar because I started feeling like crap and I had a hunch. My mother and all her sisters and brothers are diabetic, I had a feeling I might be destined. but it has always been fine until now.

The symptoms are cranking in now too, extremely thirsty, hands and feet ache and feel wierd and heavy, blurry vission, that sort of thing..

Its been bulding, slowly over the last year or so, but I have been monitoring it and it didn't send up any alarms until recently, now it seems to be on the fast track and I am loosing ground.

Figures it happens between doctor changes..

I would rather pretend it isn't happening until I know for sure, but I leary of waiting too long..

YOur a nice bunch, thanks for the advice

Old 07-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hi justdave4now------I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with type 2. both parents had it. I have it diet controlled. your fluctuations would scare me. I follow a diet that a dietician recommended to me. Breakfast, lunch, dinner 30-45 carb grams + protein (they say have a piece of fruit, milk, small yogurt in addition to this) i prefer to use my fruits for a snack and am lactoce intolerant so the dairy and i don't agree. before bed i eat a 15-20 carb gram snack. It has truly helped me to maintain my weight, glucose levels and A1C is down to a 5.7. sometimes after fasting all night mine is higher in the morning so i tend to eat as soon as i get up. found some great recipes for low-carb muffins that are a real help when you're on the run. try it. the diet certainly won't hurt you and you might just be able to control this without meds by the time you see your dr. My levels range between 103-125 (fasting) and around 120-140 after eating. Good luck to you.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
    lowcarber
    Inactive
    (female)

lowcarber HB User

Hi,
    You should listen to your hunches. And the signals your body is giving you...blurry vision, tingling extremities. High fasting sugars. Save your Beta cells and you can keep from progressing down the insulin road.

Closed Thread