It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Cinnamon Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
sam061
(male)

sam061 HB User
Cinnamon Question

A couple of questions concerning cinnamon.

1. What is the period of time it takes (weeks) before I should see
better control using cinnamon and doesn't it do the same thing that a medicine does?

I took 2mg ofAmaryl (Glimepride) for about 8 months and now have had to increase it to 4mg. After this it is the needle which I am just dreading. Someone told me this stuff will burn out your pancreas very quickly. I have added Cinnamon. Will this burn it out even faster?

Also, my pharmacist told me that insulin injections are better for your organs.
Comment on that too if you can. I am going to go back to the low card diet. I don't like it, but it did help. Thanks a lot -Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
bmd
(female)

bmd HB User
Re: Cinnamon Question

I'm not sure I've ever seen any research but based on personal experience, I believe that you would see a difference in a month. How much are you taking?

Old 08-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
nicoli
(female)

nicoli HB User

I too am going to watch my carbs, really carefully. It is the only thing that makes any real difference to me. and I know that is not going to burn out my pancreas or have side effects. Yes, it can be a little difficult but it is worth it to me. I found several websites that focus on low carb eating for diabetics so lots of people must be doing it. It works for me. I don't use any medications right now and my numbers are pretty good.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
darksheep
(female)

darksheep HB User

yup, when i don't eat too many carbs, i feel better. i use cinnamon every day. most of the big stores have it in tablet form, that way i don't have to sprinkle it on everything i eat. not sure if helps, but don't think it can hurt.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
PollyAnn
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

I take 1000mg of cinnamon (2 capsules-500mg each) 3 times a day.

I take my first dose as soon as I wake, another dose after lunch and the last before bedtime.

I also sprinkle the powdered cinnamon spice (my dollar store sells two large containers for $1) on anything I can such as my steel cut oats for breakfast, in my snack yogurt and such...I'm NOT on any diabetic medicine's and the cinnamon seems to have made a difference in my sugar readings because my last A1c (2 weeks ago) was 5.0

I first started off with the tablet form but I would burp up a cinnamon taste so I switched to capsule form and it's a lot better. The 2 doses made a slight difference but when I added the 3rd dose (before Bed) it really brought my numbers go down.

Give it 6 weeks before you see a change.

PollyAnn

Old 08-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
sam061
(male)

sam061 HB User

Hi,
Just got your message. I am curious to know if you took yourself off of your medication or your doctor?

Also, I have been putting 1/4 tps in the morning on 1/4 of High Fiber 1 by General Mills. But it has been only about four weeks since I began.

Do you think I should stop the medication and begin taking the 1000mg of tablets, or stay on it and stop after six weeks? Have you had any signs of hypoglycemia.

This is really great news for me. What kind of meals do you eat? By that I mean do you eat any wheat flour products or table sugar? I am going to start this tomorrow. Thank you so much for writing. My mother told me she puts 1/4 tbs on her cereal each morning and it is working for her. But she has been using it for a year. I just want to get off of the medicine. Also, Cinnamon gives me heartburn which I tolorate. I wonder it the tablets will do the same? Please answer my questions when you can.- sam

Old 08-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
sam061
(male)

sam061 HB User

Polly,
Did you stop taking medication when you began the 3/tabs/day with each meal?

Have you had any hypoglycemic attacks while taking it?

This may be difficult for you to answer. If you were me, would you stop all medication and begin taking the 1000mg of cinnamon or take it with medication for six weeks?

I really want to try taking 3 caps a day. I am afraid that staying on this medication is going to burn my pancreas out and then it will be the needle. That I do not want! Thanks so much for writing. I am going to purchase the caps tomorrow. Also wanted to know if you are still watching your carb input? - sam

Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
bmd
(female)

bmd HB User

I wouldn't come off the meds until you can show the dr your numbers from taking the cinnamon.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
darksheep
(female)

darksheep HB User

By the way, the drug you are taking, Amaryl, stimulates the pancreas to make insulin. So the pharmacist is right. Taking insulin would be better for your pancreas. Cause the stimulation to it to make more insulin could burn out the cells that produce it. And when they are gone, they are gone! You should really, really look at what you are eating. First thing. If the number of carbs you are eating makes your sugars go up, then you should consider cutting way back. There are other drugs your doc could consider that doesn't stimulate the making of insulin. And taking insulin is not always a last resort. Sometimes they put people on it for short runs to give their pancreas a rest from making insulin. Another drug they sometimes use is glucophage, it makes you less insulin resistant. That way your body can use the insulin it is making with out stimulating your pancreas to make more. Please ask your doctor about that, ok?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
darksheep
(female)

darksheep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam061
A couple of questions concerning cinnamon.

I took 2mg ofAmaryl (Glimepride) for about 8 months and now have had to increase it to 4mg. After this it is the needle which I am just dreading. Someone told me this stuff will burn out your pancreas very quickly. I have added Cinnamon. Will this burn it out even faster?

Also, my pharmacist told me that insulin injections are better for your organs.
Comment on that too if you can. I am going to go back to the low carb diet. I don't like it, but it did help. Thanks a lot -Sam

See, the low carb diet works well. Your body can't handle carbs and it tells you that by the numbers you see. So, just consider it a healthy thing to do for you!

As far as the drug you are taking, that drug stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin. Eventually the pancreas cells will burn out and you won't make any more and then for sure you will be using insulin.

Check with your doc about other drugs like glucophage. It lowers your insulin resistance. That way your body can use the insulin it is making more efficently.

Just remember if you don't eat as many carbs, your body won't need as much insulin. Better all the way around.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
PollyAnn
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam061
Polly,
Did you stop taking medication when you began the 3/tabs/day with each meal?
Hi Sam,

I never did take diabetic medication.

When I was diagnosed my A1c was 8.9 and my doctor immediately wrote me a prescription but I felt he should on instead insist on a diet change so I took it upon myself to NOT fill that prescription and read everything I could on coping with diabetes. I read every single book, article and medical journal with such different views.

I decided what was best for "ME" was to learn what I could and couldn't eat to regulate my sugar and to take supplements with a positive impact such as cinnamon, GTF Chromium & Gymnema Sylvestre. I eat low carbish and have elimated a whole lot of foods from my diet. Even some low carb foods have a negative inpact on my sugar levels so I still test often.

It may NOT work for all but it has for me and my recent A1c of 5.0 has proven that. If you are currently taking diabetic medicine then you should discuss supplementation with your doctor first.

PollyAnn

Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Betty325062000
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User

I have tried cinnimum but it did not help me. Some people distinguish between kind of cinnimum and I don't know that much about it.

Glucophage (Metformin) that has been mentioned on this site is frequently the first drug to start. It does not increase your insulin production. But it is not just for insulin resistance. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin

Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
Betty325062000
Inactive
(female)

Betty325062000 HB User
Arrow Re: Cinnamon Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty325062000
I have tried cinnamon but it did not help me. Some people distinguish between kind of cinnamon and I don't know that much about it.

Glucophage (Metformin) that has been mentioned on this site is frequently the first drug to start. It does not increase your insulin production. But it is not just for insulin resistance. Metformin acts by increasing the sensitivity of liver, muscle, fat, and other tissues to the uptake and effects of insulin
Sorry I accidentally hit the send button.

I also take Amaryl with the Metformin. Neither drug alone works well but the two together does. According to my labs I am not insulin resistant. The amount of Amaryl that I need changes from week to week or month to month. A couple months ago I was taking 4mg. For the last 2 weeks I have taken 3/4mg. I don't know if others vary but mine does. I "eat to my meter" and that is the other half of the equation. Thankfully I am not overweight, I don't have much of an appetite and that makes it easier for me to adjust my food intake. I test at least 6 times per day to keep regulated. I did not have a problem with it.

Ask your doctor about the Metformin. That will probably drastically cut the amount of Amaryl needed. There are other positive elements to it. Negative aspect is that many people have upset stomach, diarrhea or other such when the first take it. You start off at the lowest dose and take it with a meal. Afterwards increase it until the optimum amount 500mg to 2,500 mg.

As for "burnout" caused by the drugs that stimulate insulin production I see that reference often. Most people appear to believe it but after all the research I have done I do not think it does. The Mayo Clinic says they do not know what causes the burnout, but every other reliable source I have seen says it doesn't.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
pixietwin
(female)

pixietwin HB User

I've been following this thread and others about cinnamon and diabetes type 2. I take glucovance 5/500 two in am and two in pm before dinner. I also used to take one 4 mg. avandia before dinner. The avandia worked great...after a year or so, it worked too well. I was going hypo every day and especially in the pm. I went to a new endo earlier this year, and she put me on glucophage, but I told her that I'd taken that before and it didn't work. After a week, my numbers went up high. I went back on the glucovance and avandia. However, I did some research and read that avandia can have a negative effect on my heart. I was scared by that, so I went off and figured it was o.k since my numbers were so low anyway. My A1c was 5.8 for a year. After being off the avandia for 6 months, my numbers started to creep up in the morning and after dinner. I read about the cinnamon and purchased the capsules. I've been taking them for a week but only one pill twice a day. I decided to increase to two in am and two in pm. Now I read that some take 6 a day. I suppose it's too early to see a difference. I had gone back to the avandia about a month ago and it was starting to make a good difference by lowering my morning numbers (used to be 70 to 90 on avandia and after being off for 6 months the number was between 90 - 130). So, it is frustrating because the doctors switch the meds which in turn upsets my stomach. I know that going on and off avandia isn't good for my system because it sure does upset my stomach. I hope cinnamon works because I feel like I'm on enough pills right now and would like to not take avandia if I don't have too. I guess 4 to 6 weeks will show if it improves things, right? If anybody else has started this regimen lately, I'd like to know how it's working. As far as the avandia, I never had a side effect except for the hypoglycemia, but the main worry was heart disease which is why it scares me now.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
sam061
(male)

sam061 HB User

Hi,
I have been using Cinnamon for about a month or a little over a month. I have seen a difference in my readings. They are not as high as they were. I put cinnamon (.5 tbs) on my Fiber One each morning. My afternoon reading go into the low 80's by supper time without taking any cinnamon at lunch. I then take 2 cinnamon caps at supper. I don't check my readings as I should, but the other day I over ate and thought my bs would be high. I took it and it was 118 two hours after that meal.

My mother is borderline and she takes nothing but cinnamon. I think the amount depends on each individual. The doctor could not believe it. Dr. Rosenfeld (on Fox Sunday morning) stated he put his wife on cinnamon and recommended people to use it.

The other evening a neighbor of mine went into a diabetic comma with a reading of 72. That blew my mind for mine has been as low as that many times and I have no symptoms. It has gotten down in the low 50's and 40's and this is when I feel it. - sam

Closed Thread