It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• married, with a 2yold kid, and SCARED about husband low blood sugar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
    help66
    (female)

help66 HB User
    Question married, with a 2yold kid, and SCARED about husband low blood sugar

I've been married for 14 years to atype 1. I've learned to live with. Have found enough control to help him out in several low blood sugar crisis, even giving him glucose injections. We've gone thru a couple of 911 too. Scary but ok.
    now... sometimes he just don't accept help! He is tall - 1,90 cm and I'm short 1,60. Don't need to mention that there is no way I can force him to have the glucose tablets or can manage to give him injections if he is refusing it. He just throws things away.
    TODAY - AT 3 AM - he woke up and got my child WHO IS 2 YEARS OLD in his arm and walked around the house!!!!!!!!!! I only woke up because my kid started crying. I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was too scary. He did not harm him, but the kid was scared. I put my kid back in bed and said daddy needed help. Then I tried to help my husband but he did not let me. He went back to the room AND GOT MY KID AGAIN. I was afraid of stopping him because he might drop our kid. And I yell, please, it is our kid! Then, God helped us, he sat down and said, "what's happening?" I was then able to ask my kid to go back to bed and to give husbanc a glucose injection. Then went back to explain my kid that daddy had a bad dream.
    I FEEL AWFUL. The kid is 2 years old and we ask him to understand because we don't know how to protect him!
    Does anyone has ideas on how to prevent such incidents?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
    rickst29
    (male)

rickst29 HB User
    Unhappy Re: SCARED about husband's low blood sugar

I know of several possible ways to have fewer "lows", but most cost $$$$:

Is he on a pump, or injecting? (Pumps cost $$$, but many T1 people do much better with a pump.

Do they sell the Minimed Continuous Monitor in Brazil yet? Also costs $$$$, but this would be EXTREMELY helpful. I have one from the other mfgr, haven't had a bad low since I got it! (5 months.) But my brand "Dexcom" is definitely USA only, not even Canada yet.

There is also a one maybe very helpful change, which is INEXPENSIVE and definitely possible in Brazil: Stop eating a diet with "normal" amounts of carbohydrate, switch to mostly fat and protein. Lots of nuts, meats. Such a "low carbohydrate" diet can help many T1 people live a lot more stable than trying to balance high-carbohydrate with lots of big shots.

Eating consistent amounts at dinner each night is also a good idea, and doesn't cost.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
    help66
    (female)

help66 HB User
    Re: married, with a 2yold kid, and SCARED about husband low blood sugar

THANK YOU rickst29, for caring.

I don't know much about the treatment but i will ask. He had a pump, I suppose. It is like a pen, right? I have no idea why he decided to go back to using injections. I don't remember if the had other lows with pump but I will mention to him.

What is this Minimed Continuous Monitor? He once had an exam that was measuring his blood sugar for 24 hrs. It was quite bad experience, each time that thing beeped he had to write down the metrics. Is this the same kind of thing, or would that be something you 'inject" in yourself and leave there forever? Is there any type of medication you have to take to not have rejections? I know he mentioned something about a "thing" that would inject insuline as needed, but he kind of did not like the idea of not having control himself... he's 37 and had diabetes for 20 years now... it's so hard to convince him he may not know everything... I will check THANKS.

Also, he is really well controlled normally, but I guess your suggestion on the low carb ringed a bell: yesterday we had pizza + salad + a fruit!! This morning he mentioned he had a high-blood measure before going to bed... and sure enough, took this high shot of insuline to control it (he is paranoic about the long side effects of diabetes). So i guess I need to pay more attention to the meals he makes that are not the normal ones... At least I will be able to put the alarm clock to wake us up in the middle of the night and test the blood before it becomes critical.

THANKS AGAIN. I'm afraid of going to bed. Today was really bad. I feel like I have to put bells in all doors so i know when he wakes up!

Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help66

I don't know much about the treatment but i will ask. He had a pump, I suppose. It is like a pen, right? I have no idea why he decided to go back to using injections. I don't remember if the had other lows with pump but I will mention to him.
    A pump and a pen are totally different. If he is only injecting 2 or 3 times a day, as oppose to 4+ times a day, or pumping, that's the problem right there. Only MDI or pumping is successful at controlling type 1, none of the two or three shot a day programs some people try and use.

The overnight lows can and should be prevented.

Quote:
    I know he mentioned something about a "thing" that would inject insuline as needed, but he kind of did not like the idea of not having control himself... he's 37 and had diabetes for 20 years now... it's so hard to convince him he may not know everything... I will check THANKS.
    That's likely a pump. It doesn't inject the insulin automatically, but rather delivers a small amount every few minutes, and a larger bolus amount is programmed in response to meals or high bg. You get used to the 24/7 thing quickly, and it works much better than injections. You could program a smaller amount of insulin overnight so that he doesn't go low as easily.

You may also want to look into snack bars that have uncooked cornstarch in them. Some people find eatting one at bedtime prevents lows overnight.

Last edited by blondy2061h; 09-17-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
    help66
    (female)

help66 HB User
    Wink Re: married, with a 2yold kid, and SCARED about husband low blood sugar

Thanks guys.
    Can you please clarify if the pump or the Dexcom MDI are "internal" or "external" use? Do they just stick out of bellie or would that be a small operation to go under the skin?
    I've mentioned the subject to hubbie and he just hates the idea of having some device hanging in this body!
    I have to say, being diabetic is definetly not easy but being married to one is not a smooth ride as well...

Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
    rickst29
    (male)

rickst29 HB User

All pumps, as well as Dexcom, have small things "stuck on your skin". Infusion sets for pumps, Sensor for Dexcom, and Sensor plus transmitter for Minimed.

But all of these things are hidden underneath clothes. Does he go to work naked ?

Better to have small gadgets attached and BE healthy and FEEL BETTER, I think, than to "look normal" but have crazy lows and highs which are unhealthy and anti-social.

But he has to want to be more healthy. Pumping is a pretty big investment of $$$ and effort.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
    blondy2061h
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blondy2061h HB User

Yup, all external. No operations involved.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Post Re: married, with a 2yold kid, and SCARED about husband low blood sugar

He should definitely be eating a snack before bedtime to prevent those hypoglycemic episodes. A small glass of lowfat milk with crackers or half a sandwich is usually recommended.

Closed Thread