It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• My 3 year old daughter just diagnosed with Type 1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #16
    bobwrench26
    (male)

bobwrench26 HB User
    Re: My 3 year old daughter just diagnosed with Type 1

Thanks Sharon. In the meantime our nurses have suggested a numbing spray which our pharmacist just got in, so we'll try that while looking out for the Emla cream.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: My 3 year old daughter just diagnosed with Type 1

Hi Bob,

That's great! I hope it works out for you.

Sharon

Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #18
    DibeticAthlete
    (female)

DibeticAthlete HB User
    Re: My 3 year old daughter just diagnosed with Type 1

Hi LadyLaine,
    I was diagnosed at age 5 (I'm 30 now) and let me reassure you that your daughter can do ANYTHING regardless of her diabetes. I wanted to send you a message to tell you about the fabulous things my family did to make life no different. Halloween was the greatest for me. I lived in a fairly small town and my close neighbors would by me small gifts rather than chocolate and candy. My friends were jealous because they "just got candy." When I was done trick-or-treating I would bring all my candy home and my aunts and uncles and whole family were there. Mom would divide up the food I could eat from the stuff I wasn't allowed (tootsie rolls, chocolate, rockets etc.) Then we would Auction off my candy to the family. 5cents for tootsie rolls or $1 for all my gum (this was back in the 1980s so prices will be higher now). The great thing about this was I then had money and could buy something way better (or snacks I could eat). I NEVER felt left out and in fact this Halloween Auction made it so much fun!

I wanted to let you know that I have backpacked around Europe, gone to China, I have a university degree, and currently compete in Triathlons. There are no limits and there are soooooo many more products and much better technology now. You daughter will be fine as long as you monitor her condition. Teach her how to eat healthy and make sure she maintains a healthy weight. Also Type I is VERY different from Type II, that "no carbs" idea works well for Type II but is very dangerous for Type I. If you do not have an diabetic team get one, dietitian, endocrinologist and a knowledgeable pharmacist.

Things will be fine and although she may cry when getting her needles only you will remember those moments. Trust me I never remember crying but my mother remembers each tear. This is probably tougher on you than her.

Closed Thread