It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Insulin Resistance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
    Lemonz
    (male)

Lemonz HB User
    Re: Insulin Resistance

Quote:
    I noticed that you live on an island north of Scotland. I looked up Tórshavn, Faroe Islands. There are only about 19,300 in the metropolitan areas of the Islands. Wow! In the county where I live there are almost 2 million people. I love the conveniences and great stores, but I hate the crowds.
    Hehe... It's acually quite nice to live here (except for the weather :P), kinda peaceful

Quote:
    Are there insulin supplies and other diabetic necessities there, or do you have to go elsewhere for treatment and assistance?
    We have state of the art diabetes help. We get free medications (insulin, pills etc.) and other nesessities, the best there are, including the best insulin pumps, the country pays for it, till we are 18 and after that we have to pay about 67$ four times a year (depends on the currency of the dollar :P), and still get everything we need even if it costs more than that (which it does). Each young person that has T1 diabetes uses about 8000$ or more with diabetes supplies. We get free diabetes doctor (endocrinologist) check ups many times a year and we get free appointments with a dietician also many times a year. We use almost the same medical system as Denmark, Norway and Sweden. It's very good to live with diabetes here, as the person doesn't go bankrupt even if the person isn't very wealthy. We also get about 67$ a month as a supplement, from the country, to buy healthier foods as they are more expensive

Quote:
    What kind of internet connection are you using?
    I'm using a 2 MB broadband connetion

Quote:
    Thanks again for the info!
    Your welcome

Last edited by Lemonz; 01-15-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greamer View Post
    Is insulin resistance reversible through diet and exercise; can I get it back to normal? How long does it take? ... George
    Through diet and exercise, it has taken me about 2 1/2 years to see significant improvements in my Insulin Resistance.

I've now been on a frequent feeding, low calorie, small portion diet since December 11, 2004. Within a few weeks, after starting the diet, I experienced improvements in my blood pressure, heart rhythm problems and breathing problems.

Then, gradually over the past 2 1/2 years my symptoms and my health improved. In January, 2007, I started doing weight-lifting exercise due to posts from Mark1e.

Since the beginning of the diet, I have gone from 180 pounds to 130 pounds. My average monthly blood pressure has gone from about 156/99 to 123/72. That means that my blood pressure used to average 156/99 each day, for an entire month, and now my blood pressure averages 123/72 for each day..

For the past few weeks I have significantly increased the amount of calories in my frequent small meals, without any increases in symptoms or weight.

So....... in my case, Insulin Resistance has significantly reversed within 2 1/2 years of being on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, and exercise, including the weight lifting that started in January 2007.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-10-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
    ... as a T1, I have had tremendous success at improving insulin sensitivity by cutting out carbs and doing lots of muscle building exercise. Mark
    Thanks for the info about "muscle building exercises" and insulin sensitivity.

I started doing curls and lifts with ten pound hand weights since January. It has made a real difference and also has made me feel better about myself.. I also started doing knee bends with the weights in hand, but I've had to cut back because my knees weren't cooperating.

I thought that, at my age, my body would not benefit as much as those who are younger. I am pleasantly surprised that, as you said, diet and weight lifting exercise worked for you with your T1. Prior to reading your notes, I had been exercising, but not lifting weights.

I hope that you are still fighting the good fight and doing well.

Thanks very much!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    thewags (05-16-2012)
    Closed Thread