It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• no such thing as pre-diabetes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
    needhealing777
    (female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
    no such thing as pre-diabetes?

I've been told a few years back i was borderline, term now I guess is pre-diabetes...I was talking to a friend who IS a diabetic and she told me, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRE-DIABETES, you either have it or you don't"...I was floored and said it wasn't true and told her a few things I've learned and she just rolled her eyes..she told me my pancreas was working fine..which I would never tell anyone that..I am not someone's dr...I just wanted to know some things I could tell her to "enlighten" her without an argument or maybe I should just let it go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
    AlwaysWondering
    (male)

AlwaysWondering HB User
    Re: no such thing as pre-diabetes?

Greetings.
    I'm certainly no expert, but I would tend to agree with your friend. You are either diabetic or you're not. Elevated blood glucose levels over the long term would put you at much greater risk for developing diabetes, but I'm sure there are people who have elevated levels their whole life and never develop full blown diabetes. It's like saying every person who is overwieght, smokes and has high blood pressure is "pre-stroke" or "pre-heart attack". Yeah, for sure their risk factor for either or both is much greater, but certainly not all overweight people who have high blood pressure and smoke will have a stroke or heart attack.

Rick.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

The term "pre-diabetes" is used for people whose fasting blood sugar levels are not within what is nowadays considered the normal range (70-100), but whose fasting bgs have not yet got to the level that's considered diabetic (126 or greater). Another term for this gray area is "insulin resistant."

What those two terms mean is that, while you're not yet actually diabetic, you are on your way to becoming so and need to take action now. This is a stage where it can be managed with diet and exercise, and the onset of Type 2 diabetes can possible be prevented.

On the other hand, if it isn't managed now, it will definitely become diabetes in the future. I've never heard of anyone having elevated blood sugars who didn't bother managing it who then did not go on to become diabetic.

Many long-time diabetics hate the term because they think it belittles what they go through in managing diabetes. It's especially hated by Type 1 diabetics, who of course never had the opportunity to prevent the onset of their illness since it's caused by a totally different mechanism than Type 2.

You don't have to convince your friend of this...just know that it's important for you to be tested at least twice a year, and take the steps now to learn proper diet and exercise so that you will hopefully never have to deal with T2 diabetes.

Ruth

P.S. Personally, I think those of you who are now being told you're pre-diabetic are LUCKY!!! In the old days, no one was treated at all (not even with diet and exercise) until the diabetes was already full-blown. Now people have this wonderful wake-up call that can help them prevent the disease...and, IMHO, that's wonderful and good medicine!

Last edited by SamQKitty; 06-10-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
    Kubilee
    (female)

Kubilee HB User

I am no expert by any stretch of the word, however..... as someone who was fed the same thing by a few people, one of which was a NURSE of all things, I can tell you, if you are told you are pre-diabetic, or borderline or whatever term the Dr has used, you best be paying attention to THEM, no one else. I was told I was borderline for many years and I didn't pay much attention to it because people kept telling me they were trying to scare me..... I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 of 4 kids and the whole 9 yards and I didn't listen.

NOW, I go into the Dr on May of this year and was told I have full blown Diabetes, Type II and it scared the life half out of me... don't listen to NO ONE when they tell you there is no such thing. Get a hold of it now and start taking steps to see that you don't go in to have a kidney infection and be told you have diabetes.. THAT is scarey!!

Do whatever you have to do to control it now, have yourself checked, whatever. Just take care of YOU and don't worry about what your friend says... I was one of those "you have it or you don't" people too, right up until last month when I was told "you have it" and I COULD have controled this long before had I just paid attention the first 100 times the Drs told me this.

Not trying to scare you..... or maybe I am, either way, tale care of YOU.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I agree . My PCP called me 3 years ago and told me I am diabetic. Fasting glucose was 120 and A1c was 6.2. I am still 3 years later diet controlled. BUT point here is he warned me. I got my A1c down to 5.6 until the past year when I have had several steroid injections and have had to take oral steroids a few times. A1c is still 6.2 and I am cautious knowing it could get worse. PCP told me either you have it or you don't. Some of my fasting readings are as high as 135 some are 108. Before meals I amususally around 95 after depending on whether I ate righ tor not can range from 130 to my higherst being over 200 after eating Potatoe chips. We all have foods that raise our glucose and some that don't. I can't eat white potatoes but can eat pasta with no problems. A good nutritionist, alot of reading and checking your sugar after meals will give you a good idea on how to control it.

ICC

Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by needhealing777 View Post
    I was talking to a friend who IS a diabetic and she told me, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRE-DIABETES, you either have it or you don't"..
    You've got some excellent responses. Here is my two cents:

The Pancreas is an organ just the same as the heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, etc. All of the body's organs can be partially damaged, right? There are pre-Heart Failure conditions, pre-Lung Failure conditions, pre-Liver Failure conditions, pre-Pancreas Failure conditions, etc. If the pancreas is partially damaged, but still producing insulin, then you are not in full blown Diabetes, but in a pre-Diabetes condition.

Insulin Resistance damages the Pancreas by forcing it to pump too much Insulin, which overworks the Pancreas. If Insulin Resistance (pre-Diabetes) isn't reversed, the Pancreas will eventually wear out and totally fail to produce Insulin, resulting in full-blown Diabetes.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread