It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Niacin and Blood Sugar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
    rraszews
    (male)

rraszews HB User
    Niacin and Blood Sugar

My Doctor has put me on Niaspan to help raise my HDL cholesterol (Dad had a heart attack a few years back because even though his total cholesterol was only 120, his HDL was something like 6). I've taken niacin before, but not in these quantities.

I'm currently taking 1250mg a day (500 in the morning and 750 at night), and I'm supposed to work up to 2000 mg.

But I noticed when I started taking it, my morning glucose numbers went up by about 10% -- which is enough to put me consistently over 100 in the mornings. To make sure it wasn't something else at work, I shifted my niacin schedule around, taking 750 in the morning and 500 at night, and the effect went away instantly -- but of course that's not something I'll be able to do when I switch to taking 750 twice a day.

I've read that niacin can increase blood sugar levels, but those studies seem to say that you need to be taking a lot more of it than I am for that to happen.

I've been rather proud of how much control I've had over my diabetes this past month, and I don't want to lose it. Is there a good strategy to minimize this effect?

For that matter, is it possible that the bump is only temporary and will go away once my body gets used to the niaspan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread