It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

Question about diabetes and colonoscopy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
hollyberry08
(female)

hollyberry08 HB User
Question about diabetes and colonoscopy

I'm diabetic and am scheduled to have a colonoscopy next month. I have been having bowel issues for quite sometime, hence the colonoscopy, with diarrhea almost every day with resultant dehydration. What I'm unsure about is what prep beverage should I mix the Miralax with. I've been trying to find palatable sodas like diet ginger ale. I'm afraid to drink Gatorade because it contains sugar. The nurse where I go to the doctor thought the gatorade w/ sugar would be good since I'll be experiencing diarrhea, and will probably get dehydrated, and the sugar will help, but I'm afraid as a diabetic that all that sugar will cause me to be further dehydrated. Any suggestions from anyone else who is diabetic and had a colonoscopy. What did you drink with your prep? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hollyberry08; 03-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Wallis86
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Question about diabetes and colonoscopy

You could look into other options other than Miralax. I just read that they have created a phosphasoda pill which should do the same thing as drinking it. All in all, its a disgusting experience anyway, so anything you mix with the Miralax won't help too much with the taste. I would avoid gatorade because of the effects on blood sugar if I were you. Speak to your doctor. That's my best advice to you.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
hollyberry08
(female)

hollyberry08 HB User

Thanks Wallis. Acturally Miralax is very user friendly. It has no taste at all and is pretty much palatable. I was going to take it with gingerale but I think too much carbonation will make me feel worse. I'll check into that pill you mentioned. thanks again.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
twokatss
Inactive
(female)

twokatss HB User

I mixed it with diet orange. That was great.....

Question? By any chance are you taking Metformin for your diabetes. That can cause loose bowels....But anyway, good luck with the colonoscopy. And may I suggest, coat your rear end with vaseline...It will not get so irritated from the clean out. The test is nothing compared to the prep...

Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
hollyberry08
(female)

hollyberry08 HB User

Yes, I've been on glucophage and metformin for a while and I know that causes stomach distress, but I've been taking glucophage for over 5 years. My bowels started changing around six months ago when I started lantus (insulin) at nighttime. I also take glucotrol. I was taking Avandia but have stopped taking that. Does the carbonation from all the orange soda bother you at all?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
twokatss
Inactive
(female)

twokatss HB User

The carbonation did not bother me. If you think it might, leave it sit a day open before using it so most of it has dissipated...

Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Chevy26
(male)

Chevy26 HB User

I just went through this. The perfect mix is the small packets of sugar-free lemonade. It comes as small yellow 2 inch long packets which are made to mix with 0.5L of water. Most grocery stores have them.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
queqid
(female)

queqid HB User

Been there--done that. On 12-28-07.
2 shots a day
Metformin

The doc took me off the Metformin and my bowels became normal again.

Get the generic phosphasoda. If you get the box for $18 all you get is a plastic cup and 2 lemonade packets---I wasted the money.

I did mine with diet lemon lime soda and did fine. Throughout the day I drank bullion and diet clear soda. After the phosphasoda I drank real applejuice diluted with sparkling water. I took no nite insulin shot. Bloodsugar was 140ish at the hospital.
The worst part of the whole thing was the weeks and days before--just knowing what was coming. I walked out of the hospital bright eyed and full of energy--no after effects at all.

THE ONE IMPORTANT THING IS: I made the appointment for 7AM, the hospital did that because I was a diabetic.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
stephaniemarks
(female)

stephaniemarks HB User

Hey there, not sure if I'm too late, but I would advise perhaps speaking to your doctor for an alternative way to clear out your bowels. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and like yourself, had to have a colonoscopy. Because of my diabetes obviously I'm not to starve myself; I'm not too sure about the sugar in the drinks they give you either. As embarrassing as it sounds, my doctor actually gave me an enema (scary huh??!!) 2 hours before the colonoscopy I had to give myself the enema at home (so don't worry; there's nobody else there to watch). It worked within about 5/10 mins and I was fine. It's a scary thought, but very quick and easy! Hope this helps?

Closed Thread