It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Diabetes, colesterol and lipitor, and muscle aches.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
    twokatss
    Inactive
    (female)

twokatss HB User
    Question Diabetes, colesterol and lipitor, and muscle aches.

My endo increased my Lipitor because he thinks my colesterol is still too high. Actually every time I see him I get another pill....This time he wants me to take Co-Q 10 for the muscle aches from the increased dose of lipitor. I was fine on 10 mg and now am on 20 mg.

My LDL is 2.24
    \My Hdl 1.05

The ratio is 4.4 mmol Triglycerides 3.04
    Canadian measurements.

Do you take Co-Q 10 for the muscle aches????Does it work???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Diabetes, colesterol and lipitor, and muscle aches.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twokatss View Post
    My endo increased my Lipitor because he thinks my colesterol is still too high. Actually every time I see him I get another pill....This time he wants me to take Co-Q 10 for the muscle aches from the increased dose of lipitor. I was fine on 10 mg and now am on 20 mg.

My LDL is 2.24
    \My Hdl 1.05

The ratio is 4.4 mmol Triglycerides 3.04
    Canadian measurements.

Do you take Co-Q 10 for the muscle aches????Does it work???
    If the muscle aches started right after you increased the dose of lipitor, I would definitely ask him about going back to 10 mg and figuring out other ways to reduce your cholesterol.

Ruth

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User
    Re: Diabetes, colesterol and lipitor, and muscle aches.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twokatss View Post
    My endo increased my Lipitor because he thinks my colesterol is still too high. ... I was fine on 10 mg and now am on 20 mg.

My LDL is 2.24
    \My Hdl 1.05
    Your cholesterol is very low and really doesn't need to go any lower. Some doctors have the misguided belief that lower is better, especially for diabetics. I would question if this is really necessary, bearing in mind the side effects you are having.

CoQ10 is believed to be helpful in alleviating statin induced muscle pain, but this has not been convincingly demonstrated. The logic goes something like this ...

Statins like Lipitor reduce the amount of cholesterol the liver produces. And they do this by interupting a biological pathway through which other important substance are also produced, notably CoQ10. Amongst other things, this substance is used by the muscles in the production of energy. Taking excessive amounts of Lipitor means that your muscles don't work properly because of inadequate CoQ10, hence the muscle pain. Taking CoQ10 as a supplement supposedly alleviates this problem. But there is some doubt about the bio-availability of supplemental CoQ10. While some people seem to get relief from using it, others don't.

The bottom line is that you are much better off using the CoQ10 your liver produces anyway. And cholesterol is really not the demon it is made out to be. Our bodies make it for a good reason, and we should respect that. Also bear in mind that the damage done by statins is cumulative and often can not be entirely reversed.

Closed Thread