It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Problem with sugar free items

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
    Granny137
    (female)

Granny137 HB User
    Problem with sugar free items

Does anyone else have tummy problems with the sugar free foods - - ie: sugar free chocolate or other such sweets. I have heard that Sorbitol can cause cramping and wonder about other such "fake" sugars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Problem with sugar free items

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granny137 View Post
    Does anyone else have tummy problems with the sugar free foods - - ie: sugar free chocolate or other such sweets. I have heard that Sorbitol can cause cramping and wonder about other such "fake" sugars.
    If you look at the carb content of the sugar-free stuff, most of it has just as many carbs as the regular stuff. True, sugar alcohols such as sorbitol and mannitol are not supposed to raise your blood sugar as much, but I haven't found that to be the case. And, certainly in quantity, they can cause diarrhea, gas, and stomach cramping.

So, just because something is labeled "sugar-free" doesn't mean it's a free food and that you can eat as much of it as you want. If you can keep your snacking down to once a week or so, one portion each time, then you'd probably be just as well off by eating the regular stuff.

Ruth

Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
    Laura789
    (female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

Sugar free candy sweetened with sugar alcohols have always caused stomach problems for me unless I ate just a tiny amount. Instead, I now eat a square of very dark (72%) chocolate containing sugar which has about 2 gm carbs.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
    Granny137
    (female)

Granny137 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LauraBow View Post
    Sugar free candy sweetened with sugar alcohols have always caused stomach problems for me unless I ate just a tiny amount. Instead, I now eat a square of very dark (72%) chocolate containing sugar which has about 2 gm carbs.

That is what I decided to do yesterday. Dove makes a dark chocolate bar with 5 small squares. Each one is 4 gm carb and 2 gm sugar. Where did you find a 2 gm carb chocolate???

Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
    catlover82
    (female)

catlover82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granny137 View Post
    According to my dietician, sugar alcohols such as sorbitol and maltitol (or any other sugar with an "ol" at the end) act pretty much like laxitives in your system...which is why I would get awful cramps and bathroom urges when I'd eat any "no sugar added" foods.

As well, she also told me that sugar alcohols act like 1/2 of regular sugar in your system, so they DO have an effect on your blood sugars, just less.

I pretty much stay away from all sugar alcohols, except the very tiny amount in sugarless gums. Instead if I REALLY want something sweet I'll just splurge and have the real thing (in a small amount). I don't do this often, but it's A LOT better than the awful stomach cramps/diarreah I'd get with the "no sugar added" products.

Hope this helps

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
    Laura789
    (female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

One of my favorites, Lindt Excellence 70% has about 3 gm carbs per square and that is a good sized square. Lindt also makes an 85% that I believe has 2 gm carbs. Ghiradelli Twilight Delight 72% has about 4 gm carbs. Hershey's Cacao Reserve is another good one. These are the 3.5 oz bars. The more cocoa they have, the fewer carbs.

Last edited by Laura789; 03-31-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
    lilbit1973
    (female)

lilbit1973 HB User
    For LauraBow

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LauraBow View Post
    One of my favorites, Lindt Excellence 70% has about 3 gm carbs per square and that is a good sized square. Lindt also makes an 85% that I believe has 2 gm carbs. Ghiradelli Twilight Delight 72% has about 4 gm carbs. Hershey's Cacao Reserve is another good one. These are the 3.5 oz bars. The more cocoa they have, the fewer carbs.

Where exactly do you find these really dark chocolates??? Healthfood store? Regular store? If so, which one? I've been eating a very small square of the Hershey's special dark once in a while, but of there's one lower out there, I am all for it.
    Thanks!

Closed Thread