It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Boiling With Rage-diabetes Type 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
    nycgal34
    (male)

nycgal34 HB User
    Boiling With Rage-diabetes Type 2

Okay these brilliant DRs tell us to eat healthy foods and stuff. NOW I TAKE THAT TO MEAN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. Now the geniuses in their white coats say that starchy foods ARE linked to diabetes. FRUITS AND VEGETABLES CONSIST OF STARCH!!!!

SO THIS MEANS THAT YOU CANT EAT WHITE RICE, WHITE BREAD, EGGS, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, MILK, JUICE, RED MEAT!

WHAT ELSE IS LEFT!!!! WHAT ELSE IS THERE!!!

Chicken?????? Am I supposed to stuff my face with chicken all day????? WHY DONT I JUST DIE!!! THAT WOULD BE SO MUCH FREAKIN SIMPLER!!!

DIABETES IS A DEATH SENTENCE...JUST STUFF YOUR FACE ALL DAY AND PREPARE FOR DEATH...I CANT DO THIS CRAP ANYMORE...

Last edited by nycgal34; 11-19-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
    itotito
    Veteran
    (male)

itotito HB User
    Re: Boiling With Rage-diabetes Type 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nycgal34 View Post
    SO THIS MEANS THAT YOU CANT EAT WHITE RICE, WHITE BREAD, EGGS, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, MILK, JUICE, RED MEAT!

WHAT ELSE IS LEFT!!!! WHAT ELSE IS THERE!!!
    Beer

Just kidding.

First thing you need to do is figure out what foods make your glucose levels rise, by how much, and how fast.

You will learn these by figuring out how many carbs are in a given food, and how fast they cause your levels to rise. Many vegetables have small amounts of carbs, some offset by fiber. I just had 60g of carbs of lentils for dinner. But there is 30g of fiber in there, so it's like 30g of carbs. And they cause my levels to rise very slowly. This is just and example. There are many other veggies, and legumes like this.

Meats ? Who says no red meat. Eat it lean, no problemo. IMHO.
    Don't forget seafood.

If you want to eat a few more carbs, do it before exercise. How much and what kind depend on your body.

There are tons of diabetic recipes out there. You will see, people here can also give you ideas.

And if not...remember......beer.....

Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Fruits and vegetables are NOT starch, except for a few. The ones to avoid are corn, peas, beans (although these are all healthy in moderation) and potatoes.

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time dealing with diabetes. Are you newly diagnosed? Have you met with a registered dietician for advice on meal planning? Are you on medications?

Carrying rage around like this isn't healthy either. I'll tell you what a friend of mine said to me once..."hanging on to anger is like taking poison yourself hoping it'll kill your enemy!" In other words, at some point, we need to let go of the anger and figure out a way to move forward from wherever we currently are. Sometimes, as when dealing with a chronic illness, we need help to move forward. If you don't already have a good endocrinologist, I would recommend you try to find one...also a good dietician and even, if necessary, some short-term psychotherapy. The fact is that one can live a long and healthy life with diabetes, but a lot of the burden for doing that is on the patient. A good support team really helps.

Ruth

Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
    SanFranGrrl
    (female)

SanFranGrrl HB User

Wow, chill dude! I do this all with diet and its really easy... one great trick... you wanna eat a few too many carbs do it right before some exercise! One of my insulin dependent long time friends with diabetes even told me those that exercise alot can get away with a more liberal diet and he is right according to all my blood tests each day!

I highly recommend you read the South Beach Diet... steak, eggs, small amounts of ice cream a single potato, nuts, olives.. I love it all and can eat it all.. I can even drink booze...but NO caffeine that is my Achilles heel for high blood sugar. But I am no longer tired so I don't miss the caffeine at all. But I exercise every day and trickle the foods in instead of eating large meals. My doctor was so impressed with the results (and I have so damn much energy and relief from the cravings) that he decide to not even put me on meds.. the weight is melting off with very little thinking on my part or any sacrifices or pain. I wish I had done this sooner. I love how I feel.. like someone gave me a happy pill!

But before I was diagnosed I was getting really angry a lot at anything and feeling depressed, petulant and craving a lot of weird starches ... sound familiar? When I feel like that now I test my blood sugar and I see its being high is what is <messing> with my mood... and a quick walk around 1-2 blocks and it all goes away! Both my moods and the blood meter say so

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-20-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Watch your language on the Boards.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
    itotito
    Veteran
    (male)

itotito HB User

There is another angle to this whole diabetes thing.

Many T2 people have weight issues, lifestyle and other characteristics associated to other problems, for example heart disease.

At 35 I was overweight, by a lot and a prime candidate for a heart attack. The diabetes scare got me in shape, changed my eating patterns and brought me to a healthy lifestyle.

I don't curse at this disease, I say it saved my life.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
    taulandi77
    (male)

taulandi77 HB User

T 2 Diabetes and weight gain is very bad and can cause a lot of complications on your health.

Try to change what you eat and drink. The bvest way is to eat fruits and vegetables, avoid prepared foods.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
    diabeticpumper
    (female)

diabeticpumper HB User

I know this will sound boring, but eat fiberous foods. First off, fiber cannot be digested, but it does fill you up and had little to no effect on your BS! What kinds of fiber you ask?
    Dark green veggies; Artichokes, Asperagus, Spinach, Romaine Lettace to name a few.
    How about oatmeal or cream of wheat? Both are high in fiber content, yes they are higher in carbs too, but as suggested by others in this thread, eat your higher carb intake before a planned exercise event. You don't have to go out and do a marathon, brisk walking for 30 mins or more will do the trick.
    Whole Wheat products are also a higher content in fiber. Brown rice and beans. Yes, as also noted, these all have more carbs, but good carbs and you dont have to eat much of these, as the fiber will fill you up and decrease your hunger!

Hope this helps some, dont give up. We have all been there, trust me! You'll get through this. If you didnt care at all, you wouldn't have put up a thread, right?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #8
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)

tfkeel HB User

The brown rice and beans suggestion is a good one. I find that I can eat beans without huge rises in sugar. I can also eat small amounts of potatoes, too, without huge shoots....

Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
    donna70
    (female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User

Hi,
    I am a newbie here myself and many of the suggestions everyone is making to you are so valid!! Especially don't be so angry. I was upset when the dr told me I had diabetes because I am active and not extremely overweight but have several relatives who got this disease. I want off the metformin and I started walking nearly every day and reading the literature about diabetes and coming here for more info. Guess what I lost 12 pounds since September and my bs is running under 100 even 2 hrs after meals. I may not get off the metformin but as everyone says there are many foods you can eat. Also some regular cookies don't have many sugar grams if you eat one at a time. I love the beer suggestion just check your blood sugars to make sure you can tolerate some moderate drinking. Also, are you checking your blood sugars? that can help with knowing what is good and what is bad. I have had RA for 18 years and the biggest surprise for me since I was diagnosed with diabetes is that I don't need supplemental prednisone and injections and drainages!!! I seem to have reached a good state for that. Look for the good, so many people don't get diagnosed and suffer strokes etc before they know they have T2. Good luck!!
    Donna70

Old 11-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
    almonkey
    Veteran
    (female)

almonkey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SanFranGrrl View Post
    Wow, chill dude! I do this all with diet and its really easy... one great trick... you wanna eat a few too many carbs do it right before some exercise! One of my insulin dependent long time friends with diabetes even told me those that exercise alot can get away with a more liberal diet and he is right according to all my blood tests each day!

I highly recommend you read the South Beach Diet... steak, eggs, small amounts of ice cream a single potato, nuts, olives.. I love it all and can eat it all.. I can even drink booze...but NO caffeine that is my Achilles heel for high blood sugar. But I am no longer tired so I don't miss the caffeine at all. But I exercise every day and trickle the foods in instead of eating large meals. My doctor was so impressed with the results (and I have so damn much energy and relief from the cravings) that he decide to not even put me on meds.. the weight is melting off with very little thinking on my part or any sacrifices or pain. I wish I had done this sooner. I love how I feel.. like someone gave me a happy pill!

But before I was diagnosed I was getting really angry a lot at anything and feeling depressed, petulant and craving a lot of weird starches ... sound familiar? When I feel like that now I test my blood sugar and I see its being high is what is <messing> with my mood... and a quick walk around 1-2 blocks and it all goes away! Both my moods and the blood meter say so
    Now that's a success story! Good for you! It works!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
    Kyanisunrise
    (male)

Kyanisunrise HB User

I remember being very frustrated when I was first diagnosed. I was a big pizza fan and pizza would send my blood sugar through the roof. I dug in and started studying foods and how they affect our body. I found a lot of great stuff on antioxidants. I now am on a strong antioxidant juice and a special diabetic vitamin pack. The foods that use to spike my blood sugar don't as much any more. I did a test with a poppy seed muffin. Without any antioxidants or vitamins one muffin would shoot my blood sugar up to 224. With the antioxidants and vitamins it only puts it up to 142. I am not saying that poppy seed muffins are good for you but the combination I have found allows me to eat a more diverse range of foods. I still eat a very controlled diet but I now can mix more into my diet. I now can have a couple slices of thin crust pizza and a piece of fruit with the family and not shoot my blood sugar over 150. Read up on the great benefits of antioxidants.

Closed Thread