It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diabetes Message Board

  • sugar free

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    sugar free

    My 90 year old Daddy just got diagnosed, the one thing he loves is Ice cream, can he eat sugar free ice cream????????????????????

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: Orwigsburg, PA, USA
    Posts: 456
    tfkeel HB User
    Re: sugar free

    My first take on this is, at 90? He should just plainly eat what he wants....

    However, my more rational side understands that even a nonagenerian can avoid some of the unfortunate complications of diabetes.

    The general truth seems to be, if it doesn't have sugar, and it tastes good, it has lots of fat. If he is not fighting CAD already, then he can probably do it.

     
    Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: MA
    Posts: 3,594
    SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: sugar free

    tfkeel...I couldn't agree more with your first statement!!! On the other hand, his blood sugar levels do need to be controlled well enough so that he doesn't become more prone to infections. But certainly at that age, really tight control isn't necessary.

    Frances...it is an unfortunate fallacy that sugar-free products are much better for diabetics. Frequently they have just as many, if not more, carbohydrates per serving as the regular stuff, and it is carbohydrates in ANY form that raises our blood sugar levels. Check the nutrition information on the product...if 1/2 cup of the sugar free has the same number of carbs (or even close, like within 5g per serving), then I'd say just use the regular stuff.

    And, unless he's eating ice cream every single day, I wouldn't even worry too much about portion control. As long as he doesn't eat a pint at one sitting, he should be fine.

    Ruth

     
    Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tfkeel View Post
    My first take on this is, at 90? He should just plainly eat what he wants....

    However, my more rational side understands that even a nonagenerian can avoid some of the unfortunate complications of diabetes.

    The general truth seems to be, if it doesn't have sugar, and it tastes good, it has lots of fat. If he is not fighting CAD already, then he can probably do it.
    What is CAD????

     
    Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
    tfkeel...I couldn't agree more with your first statement!!! On the other hand, his blood sugar levels do need to be controlled well enough so that he doesn't become more prone to infections. But certainly at that age, really tight control isn't necessary.

    Frances...it is an unfortunate fallacy that sugar-free products are much better for diabetics. Frequently they have just as many, if not more, carbohydrates per serving as the regular stuff, and it is carbohydrates in ANY form that raises our blood sugar levels. Check the nutrition information on the product...if 1/2 cup of the sugar free has the same number of carbs (or even close, like within 5g per serving), then I'd say just use the regular stuff.

    And, unless he's eating ice cream every single day, I wouldn't even worry too much about portion control. As long as he doesn't eat a pint at one sitting, he should be fine.

    Ruth
    No, He doesn't eat it everyday, but he will eat it when we go out to a restaurant.

     
    Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    catheryn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 313
    catheryn HB User
    Re: sugar free

    A huge misconception is that "no sugar added" foods don't have sugar. They do, plus sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols carry about 1/2 as much carb count as sugar gram per gram, however, you're better off eating a package of ex lax than eating anything with sugar alcohols. They have a definite laxative effect. Just a note! I used to work in a grocery store and people would rave to me about this no sugar added ice cream and candy because it's "sugar free" and they could eat as much as they wanted because they're diabetic. It was hard to bite my tongue!

    Anyway, at 90 I'd say your dad could pretty much still eat what he wanted to, like the previous two posters mentioned. No need in depriving yourself when you're 90! It's actually quite awesome your dad has lived to see 90 and has avoided a diabetes diagnosis until then! I'd say he's doing something right already!!!

    Last edited by catheryn; 03-30-2009 at 04:38 PM.

     
    Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: MA
    Posts: 3,594
    SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Frances,
    When you get ice cream in a restaurant, it is usually a controlled portion. If he's going to eat ice cream, just make sure he doesn't eat much bread, rice, or potato with his dinner...that way he won't have a high-carb load which, combined with the fat in the ice cream, would cause his blood sugar levels to stay high for several hours or even overnight. Maybe he could have half a baked potato, OR one piece of bread, OR some rice...but not two of those plus ice cream. That really should be enough management to keep him safe.

    Ruth

     
    Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Thanks for all your help. What is CAD?????

     
    Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
    itotito
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    itotito's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 385
    itotito HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frances1952 View Post
    Thanks for all your help. What is CAD?????
    Coronary Artery Disease

     
    Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Yes, we were surprised, he gets a check up every 6 months and it was normal back in September. Guess it can come on Quick.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by catheryn View Post
    A huge misconception is that "no sugar added" foods don't have sugar. They do, plus sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols carry about 1/2 as much carb count as sugar gram per gram, however, you're better off eating a package of ex lax than eating anything with sugar alcohols. They have a definite laxative effect. Just a note! I used to work in a grocery store and people would rave to me about this no sugar added ice cream and candy because it's "sugar free" and they could eat as much as they wanted because they're diabetic. It was hard to bite my tongue!

    Anyway, at 90 I'd say your dad could pretty much still eat what he wanted to, like the previous two posters mentioned. No need in depriving yourself when you're 90! It's actually quite awesome your dad has lived to see 90 and has avoided a diabetes diagnosis until then! I'd say he's doing something right already!!!

     
    Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Would sugar free, fat free yogart be ok?????

     
    Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
    misty125
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    misty125's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: Paducah, Ky, USA
    Posts: 13
    misty125 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Hi Frances, I am new here and this is my first post. But I have had infinite experience with exactly what you are going through. Yes, carbs are a critical factor in elevating blood glucose. My husband LOVES ice cream, and we, too, have been fooled so to speak, by the phrase "no sugar added". It is a very misleading description. But there is an ice cream sold in grocery stores that is low carb. It advertises 4 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup serving. We have found this to be excellent for providing the ice cream lover his treat and at the same time controlling the blood glucose level. My husband still can't grasp why he can eat all the barbecue ribs, roast beef, and eggs and bacon he wants and his blood sugar won't go up. But if he eats a bowl of cereal and 1/2 banana it will soar.

    Absolutely, carb consumption must be controlled, but there is an ice cream out there that he can eat and not drive his glucose level up. And the great thing is that it actually tastes like regular ice cream.

    Good luck,
    Misty125

     
    Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: MA
    Posts: 3,594
    SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Frances,
    Yes, sugar-free, fat free yogurt would be fine, but do be aware that it still has some carbs in it from the yogurt itself...but it's better than the sugared kind.

    Another thing that works well is to buy the Greek style yogurt, which has far fewer carbs. I buy the plain kind and add my own fresh fruit. It's a bit tangier that way, but still delicious. Fruit has carbs, but they're good carbs as long as you don't eat too much at one sitting.

    Ruth

     
    Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Could you tell me the name of the ice cream. Is it also sugar free?

    Ceral was interesting, is there any kind of cereal that is better???


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by misty125 View Post
    Hi Frances, I am new here and this is my first post. But I have had infinite experience with exactly what you are going through. Yes, carbs are a critical factor in elevating blood glucose. My husband LOVES ice cream, and we, too, have been fooled so to speak, by the phrase "no sugar added". It is a very misleading description. But there is an ice cream sold in grocery stores that is low carb. It advertises 4 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup serving. We have found this to be excellent for providing the ice cream lover his treat and at the same time controlling the blood glucose level. My husband still can't grasp why he can eat all the barbecue ribs, roast beef, and eggs and bacon he wants and his blood sugar won't go up. But if he eats a bowl of cereal and 1/2 banana it will soar.

    Absolutely, carb consumption must be controlled, but there is an ice cream out there that he can eat and not drive his glucose level up. And the great thing is that it actually tastes like regular ice cream.

    Good luck,
    Misty125

     
    Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
    Frances1952
    Member
    (female)
     
    Frances1952's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Georgia
    Posts: 58
    Frances1952 HB User
    Re: sugar free

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
    Frances,
    Yes, sugar-free, fat free yogurt would be fine, but do be aware that it still has some carbs in it from the yogurt itself...but it's better than the sugared kind.

    Another thing that works well is to buy the Greek style yogurt, which has far fewer carbs. I buy the plain kind and add my own fresh fruit. It's a bit tangier that way, but still delicious. Fruit has carbs, but they're good carbs as long as you don't eat too much at one sitting.

    Ruth
    Thanks, I will tell my father. If the yogurt is the frozen kind (like ice cream) and it is sugar free and fat free, would it be OK.??

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    I don't understand why my sugar runs high sometimes. purple2067 Diabetes 5 03-26-2010 01:10 PM
    My blood sugar seems to be high for no reason. purple2067 Diabetes 3 02-28-2010 09:27 AM
    Problem with sugar free items Granny137 Diabetes 6 04-01-2008 07:23 PM
    HELP! I can't give up carbs and sugar...how do you all do it? Cassie4u22 Acne 9 07-14-2005 08:17 AM
    Sugar Sugar! surenitynow Acne 125 11-28-2004 10:18 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!