It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• diabetes and niacin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
    kawaski
    (male)

kawaski HB User
    diabetes and niacin

if i have diabetes and i want to take niacin tab 100mg a day what will happen to my diabets?

if i have high cholesterol how can i get benefit from niacin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
    pauljok
    (male)

pauljok HB User
    Re: diabetes and niacin

Hi
    I actually had a similar question I was trying to resolve.
    I too have diabetes, type 2, and triglycerides of 1508 and cholesterol off the charts.
    I refuse metformin (glucophage) because I don't like feeling nauseous and sick all the time from it. So my DR agreed to let me use a shot of insulin daily.
    I have been supplementing with B3 (Niacin) for a month now and taking three 500mg capsules a day for a total of 1.5 grams.
    Then I saw in my PDR that taking niacin could effect insulin but it didn't say how

<removed>

So it looks like the effect of niacin on insulin is a good one?

Also niacin is a precursor to NAD+ which can become NADH - so the bottom line is these coenzymes will help breakdown triglycerides which will help lower cholesterol - I think - I am just a regular guy with no formal med training.

For me I've grown to like the flushing effect of the niacin and they say that means it is oxygenating the skin. I am trying to oxygenate internally and externally so my body assimilates nutrients better.

Hope this helps and i hope we get replies from more people in the know.

Paul from Chicago

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
    pauljok
    (male)

pauljok HB User

further regarding niacin and diabetics -

Also see the Linus Pauling Institiute pages of Oregon University online.
    From there search "niacin". Here is what I learned from there:
    In vitro and animal research indicates that high levels of nicotinamide protect beta-cells from damage by toxic chemicals, inflammatory white blood cells, and reactive oxygen species. Pharmacologic doses of nicotinamide (up to 3 grams/day) were first used to protect beta-cells in patients shortly after the onset of insulin dependent diabetes. Analysis of trials found evidence of improved beta-cell function after one year of treatment with nicotinamide, but the analysis failed to find any clinical evidence of improved glycemic (blood glucose) control.
    High doses of nicotinamide were found to decrease insulin sensitivity which might explain the finding of improved beta-cell function without concomitant improvement in glycemic control.

So in my non-medical opinion, keep your niacin doses under 2 grams a day and as usual keep a close watch on your blood sugar readings. Should help a lot with triglycerides and cholesterol with minimal if any effect on your glucose control.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
    retired1
    (male)

retired1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
    Please paraphrase in your own words what you read somewhere else. For copyright reasons, do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
    retired1
    (male)

retired1 HB User

Hi Folks,

I also have type 2 Diabetes I tried Niacin several times but I had a bad reaction the flushing was so bad I had to go to the hospital after a couple of hours they sent me home. Now I'm not saying it's bad I just had a problem. I was taking the no flush type I believe it was 350 Mg. My Dr just smiled at me but said and said It was normal .Let me tell you folks It was preety bad it looked like sunburn all over my body I felt very warm and my blood pressure went up preety high too. This happened about 6 yrs ago. Not sure why.

Please let me know if someone had the same problem

Thanks
    Take Care be Well check your sugar several times a day If you can !

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
    pauljok
    (male)

pauljok HB User

Yes the first time I got the flush it was kind of scary. My pale skin got huge red blotches all over my body and there was tingling and some itching. But when I found out that was normal I kind of like it now. But now that I am taking 500 mg 3 times a day regularly, the flush and feeling is going away.
    Also they say it can cause some gas type issues and as sensitive as my stomach is to Metformin and the like I never had a problem with the niacin.

Closed Thread