It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Insulin and C-peptide levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
    vad
    (male)

vad HB User
    Insulin and C-peptide levels

Hi,

I just have a quick question in regards to Insulin/C-Peptide results.

Long story short, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac's Disease in the late stages. It had caused nerve damage enough to stop my heart (have pacemaker) and stopped my bone marrow function. Now I am ok and have been GF for 3 months, but I am having other issues. I have had on random blood results, low blood sugar after eating. I was sent to an Endo recently for this, who said my spleen was enlarged and he wanted to examine my pancreas with a CT because of my low BS and increased urination. THe fasting blood results came back showing my Insulin and C-Peptides abnormally low, but my blood sugar was around 4 (so low normal). My GP was confused with these results, as they expected increased Insulin. I haven't spoke to the Endo again, but I have a CT and Ultrasound next week.

My GP said she will contact the Endo to follow up on the low results. On the web I can't find much, can anybody fill me in on their experiences? I know Celiac is related to Type 1 Diabeties in Adulthood, but I don't have high blood sugar. I have a family history, but with Type 2. Any help is appreciated as I just would like to know what I may have to deal with since my Endo is busy and wont talk to me for awhile. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
    vad
    (male)

vad HB User
    Re: Insulin and C-peptide levels

Just as an update:

Not too concerned about the Celiac/Diabetic relationship, but any Celiac's are welcome to post their stories!

More concerned with anybody who knows why C-Peptide and Insulin and lower than reference range yet, glucose is not outside of range. Tests coming up were for an insulinoma tumor, which thank god is not the case now...since insulin is not high. GP is confused and endo wont see me for three months, unless the blood test changes my appointment date. Anyways...just wanted to update this..thanks again!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Sorry, I don't know much about this. It seems to me that you must be very insulin sensitive (opposite of insulin resisitance) and that is what is keeping your glucose normal. It seems to me that you will have to be extra careful to keep your diet and exercise regime healthy to ensure that your blood sugar does not go up.

Let us know what the endo says.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
    vad
    (male)

vad HB User

Thank you for your reply, that sounds possible. I can't seem to find anything on the internet about Insulin Sensitive, only Resistant. Anybody with insight on this or a history of this, comments are appreciated. Thanks again for your post. With a family history of diabeties, I just want to make sure I'm not pushing anything under the rug, all the help is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Many type 1 diabetics (like me) are very insulin sensitive. It means that a little insulin goes a long way. Don't panic. If you are insulin sensitive, it doesn't mean you have any greater risk for type 1. It is just something you often see with us. In fact, I found something that suggested that if you are insulin sensitive you are at lower risk for heart disease.

In the meantime, I would just continue to check glucose levels and work on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
    vad
    (male)

vad HB User

Finally got the blood results faxed to me, here are the numbers:

16 HOUR FAST
    --------------------
    Insulin - fasting : 23 PMOL/L (Ref range 30-175)
    C-PEPTIDE : 186 PMOL/L (Ref range 298-2350)
    Glucose - fasting: 4.8 MMOL/L (Ref range 3-6)

Total Bilirubin : 18 UMOL/L (Ref range 0-23)
    Cortisol AM : 374 NMOL/L (ref range 100-500)
    LH Serum : 2.2 IU/L (Ref range 1 -8.8)
    FSH Serum : 4.4 IU/L (Ref range 1.0 - 13.6)
    Free Testosterone: 65 (Ref range 16 - 146)

I was seeing the endo for low blood sugar happening what seemed like at random. My normal 8hr fasting blood sugar is usually around 4 based on my old labs, but on non fasting occasions it was low sometimes (2-3). 4.8 is the highest fasting blood sugar I've ever had, especially after a 16 hr fast. The receptionist asks my endo and he said he wasn't alarmed and nothing needs to be done at this time. My GP disagrees. It seems weird to me to have such a low Insulin and C-peptide with a BG that is on the higher side as per my normal. Kind of disappointed the endo didn't at least explain to me why it was happening like that. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Closed Thread