It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• My blood sugar seems to be high for no reason.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    My blood sugar seems to be high for no reason.

I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed about 6 months ago. I am taking Metformin, 1,000mg twice a day. I am following the diet that my endocrinologist gave me. I eat very few carbs and everything I eat or drink is sugar free. Until last week, my sugar was great. It was normally in the low hundreds fasting, and then after a meal would go uo to 140 or 150 and come right back down within an hour or two. My diet has not changed at all since then. I am taking my medication at the same time every day. A few days ago I noticed that my sugar is going up to about 180 after a meal, and coming down to about 140. For example, this morning my fasting blood sugar was 137. That is way above normal for me. So I took my Metformin and I ate something. For breakfast, around 7:30 I had 2 scrambled eggs with some American Cheese. My sugar went up to 155. Not terrible, but again so abnormal for me. For lunch around 2:00 I had some homemade chicken salad with a few crackers. I had 3 small strawberries and some sugar free whipped topping. Then about an hour later I had a sugar free ice cream pop, and some sugar free, low carb cookies. I've had a total of maybe 40 grams of carbohydrates today. Why is my sugar sitting at 180 right now?

Would having a cold make my blood sugar unexplainably high?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: My blood sugar seems to be high for no reason.

Any illness or infection can make your blood sugar go up. Unfortunately, lots of things can do this. Even something as simple as not getting a good night's sleep. Pain can make a difference too.

If you have a cold, try not to worry too much. My sugar would usually go up a few days before I came down with symptoms and would stay higher for a few days after I was over it. Just keep checking.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coravh View Post
    Any illness or infection can make your blood sugar go up. Unfortunately, lots of things can do this. Even something as simple as not getting a good night's sleep. Pain can make a difference too.

If you have a cold, try not to worry too much. My sugar would usually go up a few days before I came down with symptoms and would stay higher for a few days after I was over it. Just keep checking.

Thanks. I didn't realize that sleep would cause a problem with my sugar too (although now that you bring it up, it seems perfectly logical!). You know, I have sleep apnea and lately I've been having a problem sleeping. For some reason, I fall asleep fine with the mask on and then I wake up in the morning and it has been thrown on the floor and the machine is turned off. I don't remember doing it! I've also been on some anti-biotics recently. About a month ago I had bronchitis and sinusitis, and then about 2 weeks ago I had a bladder infection. But the odd thing is that my sugar was perfectly fine while I was on the anti-biotics (but for a few days on Prednisone.) I don't know what is wrong with me now. I just don't feel good.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
    ThoseBackPages
    (male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

Sorry to hear about your current situation.

are you getting your daily exercise in?
    diet AND exercise are really important for us Type 2's

Keep on keepin' on and keep us posted

-Eric

Closed Thread