It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• I don't understand why my sugar runs high sometimes.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    I don't understand why my sugar runs high sometimes.

My last hemoglobin A1c was down from 6.3 to 6.1. My doctor was happy with that. But I told him that regardless of what that shows, my sugar runs high sometimes, with no apparent reason. For example, some mornings I'll wake up with a fasting blood sugar of 140 or 150 and I don't know why. I eat the same exact thing at night, every night. I usually have some pistachios with some cheese, or some sugar free ice cream. I eat very few carbs with dinner. I still wake up with high sugar in the morning, and then sometimes it lasts throughout the day. Today I woke up very late. I was really tired and I slept until about 2 in the afternoon. I took my Metformin as soon as I got up (I take 1,000mg twice a day) and I ate two sugar free cookies. My sugar is 180 now, at 4:30. Usually I take my medication much earlier, but my sugar still is not ever as low as I think it should be for the foods that I have eaten. Today I have eaten almost NOTHING and my sugar is still that high. Personally, I feel that the Metformin is not working as well for me as it could be, and I'd like to swtich medications to something like Janumet or one of the other ones. My doctor doesn't agree. What would you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: I don't understand why my sugar runs high sometimes.

There are a lot of things that can affect blood sugar. It is not something that stays stable all the time. Is it only occasionally going up or is it consistent? If occasional, it could be all kinds of things including lack of sleep, quality of sleep, or even the weather. Your mood can affect your glucose levels as well.

Just as an aside, you keep talking about "sugar free". Don't forget that "sugar free" does not mean "carb free". Often sugar free foods are full of fat and other things that take the place of the sugar and this can raise your glucose as well. Some sugar free items actually have more carbs than the "real" thing. So don't forget to count the carbs, not just the sugar.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks. I am still new to this and getting the hang of controlling my blood sugar. It seems that is is higher in the morning, which made me think that maybe it was something I was eating at night. But I showed my dr my food log and he said there really isn't anything that should be making my fasting sugar abnormally high. I am eating very few carbs with dinner, and if I snack at night it is something like cottage cheese or pistachos. Tonight I had cottage cheese with 1/2 of a fruit cup (packed in water) so I am curious to see what my sugar will be in the morning.

I do try to count the carbs in the sugar free stuff too. Usually I am eating the Voortmans sugar free cookies, or a Jello sugar free pudding. Occasionally I have some no sugar added ice cream. I'm trying to eat things that are lower in carbs, but still fill me up.

The other thing is that I do have mild sleep apnea, and I still have not fully gotten used to my CPAP machine. So some nights I get a better night's sleep than others. I think that I might be sleeping about 2 or 3 hours with the machine, and getting into REM sleep. At some point I wind up taking the mask off in my sleep, because I wake up every morning and the mask is on the floor!! I told my Pulmonary doctor and he said that a lot of people do that, and I really can't do anything about it because I am doing it in my sleep. I have no recollection of doing it!! So my sleep might not be the best that it could be. And my mood....well, it's not so great either.

Corvah, you have given me a better understanding of why my sugars might run high. My doctor had said to stay on the Metformin for another 3 months and then do another Hemoglobin A1C and see how it is.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

P.S. My sugar was 180 when I woke up, and then about 2 hours later it was 119, and now after having eaten dinner it was 99!! Strange.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I'm wondering if you could actually be going low at night, which could cause you to have a rebound high in the morning. When your blood sugar goes too low and you're not aware of it (and therefore can't treat it by ingesting some quick-acting carbs), your liver will pump out glycogen (which converts to glucose) to raise your blood sugar. Unfortunately, your liver doesn't have a control mechanism which allows it to release just the amount of glycogen it needs...it just dumps it all out there! And that's what causes the blood sugar to be so high in the morning.

You may want to set an alarm for about 2 AM and see if you're low then (or around then...somewhere that's half-way between bedtime and your normal waking up time). If your blood sugar is low, then you'll know you're experiencing rebound highs, and that tells you you need to actually eat MORE at night, not less! At the very least, you'd need a small bedtime snack that consists of some carbohydrate and some protein (a couple of peanut butter crackers, or some crackers and cheese).

There's another mechanism that can cause morning highs, but since you mention your A1c has gone down, I'd strongly suspect the rebound high. Since your A1c is so low, I suspect that you're spending a few hours at night with very low blood sugar, which is why those morning highs aren't resulting in an increased A1c...the lows are balancing out the highs. But that isn't a good way to lower an A1c! Stability is much preferable, even if it brings your A1c back up to 6.3, which is still quite respectable for a diabetic!

Ruth

Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
    ThoseBackPages
    (male)

ThoseBackPages HB User

those "sugar free" jello puddings have THIRTEEN grams of carbs each!

just an fyi

carbs are the debil!
    Weight at diagnosis: 268
    Current Weight: stopped checking at 160 in an attempt to gain weight

Eat to live, don't live to eat

Closed Thread