It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

• Need Diabetic +high Potassiom Diet Combination

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
    ebenfrank
    (male)

ebenfrank HB User
    Need Diabetic +high Potassiom Diet Combination

My Wife,ae 79. Overweight, had Surgery for Spinal Stenosis thay didn't work,has pain almost constantly. Tried ALL avenues to alleviate,with no success. She had Diabetes,I nsulin+Or al Medication, and now has been told she has high Potassium Blood Levels. I need Recipies,advice, for a combination Diet for her.(which her Dr.failed to provide-just a list of foods to avoid.) We are on limited income,a nd must do the best we can at home. I do the"cooking", and need simple recipies, not Gourmet plans. If anyone has some they would share, I would appreciate having them. Thank You, and God Bless!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-13-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: please add spaces between your sentences, it's hard to read your message without spaces.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
    Cora1003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
    Re: Need Diabetic +high Potassiom Diet Combination

First off, there are online food count websites (can't think of anything off the cuff, but do a search) that will help you learn which foods are high in potassium. Does she have kidney damage? This is a common side effect.

In a nutshell, the absolute no-no foods are citrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit), tomatoes, and potatoes (although you can have them in small quantities if you soak them for hours first and then double boil them - boil them, throw out the water and then boil again). Basically any food that is high in fibre (like wheat bread) is also high in potassium.

Make sure you keep in contact with the doctor about these levels and that they are checked frequently. Too high potassium can stop your heart, so it is very dangerous. If things are very difficult to control, there is a medicine that can be taken to absorb the potassium, but it has it's own side effects and should only be used for emergencies.

Talk to the doctors, don't delay. This is very important.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
    ebenfrank
    (male)

ebenfrank HB User

Thank You.I am aware of the dangers.I have already gleaned this info from surfing the web. Now what I need are recipies that cover the situation-plain,simple everyday recipies. By using"regular"Diabetic recipies,would I be covering the high potassium level problem?I understand washing vegs,cooking+discarding the water.Also what she can and can't have.
    I mentioned that I do the"cooking"-forgot to mention that I am blind in one eye,with low vision in the other.I can do it,if I have the right recipies.
    No apparent kidney or other damage;Dr.wants to"keep an eye"on her.
    She IS addicted to Starbucks Frappicino Mocha-am trying to wean her off it!!Can't find Potassium content on label,but am sure there is sugar!!
    Thanks again.Frank

Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
    ebenfrank
    (male)

ebenfrank HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebenfrank View Post
    Thank You.I am aware of the dangers.I have already gleaned this info from surfing the web. Now what I need are recipies that cover the situation-plain,simple everyday recipies. By using"regular"Diabetic recipies,would I be covering the high potassium level problem?I understand washing vegs,cooking+discarding the water.Also what she can and can't have.
    I mentioned that I do the"cooking"-forgot to mention that I am blind in one eye,with low vision in the other.I can do it,if I have the right recipies.
    No apparent kidney or other damage;Dr.wants to"keep an eye"on her.
    She IS addicted to Starbucks Frappicino Mocha-am trying to wean her off it!!Can't find Potassium content on label,but am sure there is sugar!!
    Thanks again.Frank

Closed Thread